“Not worth the price” 3 of 5 stars

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bay City - Riverfront
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Wenonah Park Place, Bay City, MI 48708   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
4th of July Selling Out!!
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Bay City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Ann Arbor, United States
“Not worth the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I'm from the Saginaw area and have always heard the Double Tree is a nicer hotel but I just didn't see why that is the case. I came in from Ann Arbor for my brothers wedding and had to attempt to check in early Friday as I was involved in wedding activities all day. The staff at the front desk seemed less than interested to accomodate my request to at least pay for the room and then have my bags sent up once the room was available. All I asked was to pay for the room and then have my bags sent to the room once it was open. The staff seemed bothered that I asked this and said they would just hold my bags behind the counter until I arrived. I stated this wouldnt be until midnight and they just shook their head and said ok. I travel a lot for work and this is not an unusual request and normally the hotel staff at other hotels state its not a problem to take my bags to the room and do so without a problem once a room is ready, but its not worth getting upset over so I just moved on. Once I was finally able to check into the room I was also not that impressed. The room was pretty clean and the bathroom was nice but that was about it. The air conditioning was basically non existent which was very frustrating. It was very hot in my room and could only imagine what it would be like if more than 2 people were in it. Overall this was an average place. Even with the small discount from the block of rooms that was reserved for the wedding guests I thought it was way over priced for the area and type of hotel. Unless the prices were more affordable and representative of the hotel I wouldn't come back or recommend it to family or friends.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

LeslieThompson, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bay City - Riverfront, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Jeremy G~
I am extremely dissapointed that we did not meet or exceed your expectations. We feel that our property is in great condition and have a staff that goes above and beyond when it comes to service. We do not have bellman on our staff that bring luggage up to rooms but we should be able to handle those types of requests without hesitation. I apologize that we did not do so on your visit.

Our rates will fluctuate during the year depending on business flow and it looks like you came during our busiest time of the year. I hope you reconsider coming back as we are always making improvements to the facility and working with our staff to find ways to give exceptional service. I am certain we can change your mind!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Kalamazoo, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Very nice hotel. The room was clean and modern. Staff was friendly, check in and out was easy. They always have warm cookies for free, which is a unique plus. The pool and hot tub are little small. The pool is still very nice though and great for younger kids ("deep end " is <5 ft). The hotel is within walking distance to all the downtown businesses and entertainment. By far and away, the biggest selling point of the double tree is the river view. It's beautiful and worth the extra $30-50 a night you pay over the holiday inn or Fairfield inn if your not on a tight budget (although of the two, I lean a little more in favor of the holiday inn). I didn't eat here so I can't comment on the food. I will definitely stay here again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Bay City, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

We loved our stay at the Doubletree for the night of the big fireworks in Bay City. The staff was great and the kids had a blast swimming in the pool. (Mommy enjoyed taking a break in the hot tub too!) We dined on the patio prior to the fireworks and the service was excellent. Afterward, we joined Grandma and Grandpa on the front lawn of the hotel and saw a spectacular show! We topped things off with breakfast at the hotel in the morning. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Bay City, MI, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Trying to make reservations took months because i could never get the same answer twice. The price is doubled for the night of the finale. The room and service is great and everyone is very helpful. There is no other hotel close to the firework therefore they have a monopoly on the area.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Westminster, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

Great hotel, I booked a riverside view room and was given a street view but I didn't really mind because I was just using the room to sleep after a wedding that day. Forgot toothpaste and the hotel was nice enough to provide me some quickly and easily to my room. Great service.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Metropolis, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Stayed here twice. The rooms are clean and spacious. The last time we stayed we called and got our room for a great price. Nice location and some great places to eat nearby. A definite we will stay there again.

Brighton, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We woke up the morning of the Fourth of July with a bit of wanderlust and adventure. Looked to fund if there was any rooms at the Doubletree Bay City for the night. Amazing with the 3 Day Fireworks Festival we were able to secure a riverside view room. Sure it was a bit pricey, but we've heard such great things about the Bay City fireworks since we've moved to MI. It was so worth it!
Loved the hotel, check in always flawless and we were acknowledged as Hilton Honors guests. Our room was not on the HH but no problem. Room was comfortable (2 doubles) with a great view. Clean and fresh, I even heard someone when we were headed to the elevators comment on how fresh even the hallways smelled. We received the complimentary hot doubletree cookies on check in and HH voucher for the restaurant to double HH points etc. The restaurant patio (and server staff) were excellent. We loved both our servers one in afternoon for drinks and the other for our dinner on the patio pre fireworks show. On nights of the fireworks there is a 2 hr limit on dining, due to possible crowd. The crowd on the Fourth was comfortable, and we were allowed to linger since there were still a couple of free tables just before the fireworks. Night was quiet after fireworks and we slept well in comfortable beds. Upon check out we asked about booking for next year, and staff recommended to call or check back in a month to make RSVP. If you love a river view, boats, draw bridges, local band music, antique stores and shops, Bay City was a nice one tank trip outta town. Well be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view. I have not watched a draw bridge for years open and let large ships pass throu...