“Home Cooking” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night
Michigan
“Home Cooking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

My husband and I were shopping in Bay City and decided to try the American Kitchen. (We had heard that it was started by the chef of Old City Hall.) We arrvied early at 4:45 pm and were surprised how busy it was for dinner. We both ordered burgers. I had the fresh aspargus as my side while my husband had the sweet ptoato fries. When the burgers arrived, I thought they didn't look very big but I was wrong. They were quite thick and juicy! They were delicious! For a treat we also had the key lime pie. When the pie arrived, it was huge, a little on the tart side but very good!
We both agreed we would go back and try some of the other homemade items on the menu. As we were leaving, we noticed the restaurant was packed. I think that is a good testament of their food.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Saginaw, MI
“Not one of the better choices in Bay City”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We heard a local radio DJ talking about this great new place and decided to try. We went on a night that they were featuring their "Signature" dish Shepards Pie. I gave it a try- I've always liked a good Shepard's Pie. Well let me tell you- this WAS NOT a good shepards pie!!! It was not even a fair shpeards pie. It amounted to a few crumbles of ground beef swimming in a pool of gravy with a bunch of peas. A couple spoons of mashed potatoes floated on top. Flavorless- no substance, and it doesn't say much for the place if this is your "signature dish"

My husband had some sort of chicken dish that was fair but nothing to write home about. If you are looking for a good place to eat in the Bay City area, I would suggest you skip this one and try one of the other tastier places like Mulligan's Pub, Rattlesnake Ric's, The KingFish (which I just heard is under new ownership with a re-vamped menu and great location overlooking the river) Brooklyn Boys Italian restaurant, Tony's on columbus.

• Visited February 2013