“Good and Bad” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Firekeepers Casino Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Battle Creek
Firekeepers Casino Hotel
You added Firekeepers Casino Hotel to your Saves list
11177 East Michigan Avenue, Battle Creek, MI 49014   |
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Battle Creek
Michigan
“Good and Bad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Trip to Battle Creek Firekeepers Casino and Hotel 2-18-13

In the hotel on the 2nd floor a man said “smoke” and I thought “fire” at first and realized since we were near the elevators it was smoke from the casino.
My husband said because of the smoke he wasn’t sure he wanted to come back again. It was really bad in the casino. I made the mistake of choosing President’s Day so it was crowded like a week-end, I will never do that again. My husband spent $90 to get 100 points so we could get our “free” cherry pie. Luckily I found some plastic spoon/forks in our truck to eat it with. When we got ours in the afternoon there were about 50 left so don’t wait too long to get yours (assuming they do this next year!).
When I checked in to the hotel the clerk read my requests, they were 3rd floor or lower and 3 -4 rooms from the elevator. So when she gave me room 2008 I assumed it was right. After I found it, it was about 20 rooms from the elevator, a real problem for my husband. Next time I will ask how close the room is to the elevator.
Had a hard time on President’s Day finding quarter machines (the only ones I will play). The next day Tuesday was much better. The smoke wasn’t as bad on Tuesday. My husband did complain about the smoke smell in the elevator on the 2nd floor of the hotel as we were leaving.
I had a hard time finding where to register for the hotel. I asked about bringing luggage after reading on TripAdvisor that it could be a problem. I didn’t understand his answer, he was talking about valet. After seeing a video on how they drive your car that will never happen. Parking lot #3 is the closest to the hotel entrance (you can see the water tower in the distance). I did bring in two shoulder bags from parking lot #3 and didn’t have any problem and others were doing the same.
I asked about bringing liquor in and I was told they have a State issued liquor license and it could be jeopardized if they found that someone brought in their own. My husband doesn’t drink and I didn’t bring anything either.
The security guard asked to see my room “key” and one security guard put up a sign asking people to show their key. Regarding the “key” don’t swipe it, instead hold it in front of the little square, it’s not the kind you put in and pull out.
Couldn’t turn the heat lower than 65 and we’re use to 60 at night. It was too hot and I finally turned the fan on, that helped. We didn’t have any problems with the pillows.
I like the snap tops on the shampoos etc.
Had dinner at the buffet, very good.
There were only two coffees but I ran mine thru twice, no problem.
Will probably go again but not on a Friday thru Sunday and not on a holiday.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Portage, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We have been regular visitors to the casino since it opened and a 2 night stay at the hotel seemed the perfect birthday adventure for my boyfriend. The standard room was very nice, bathroom was large with a nice big walk-in shower, and we enjoyed having a small refrigerator for the water we brought with us. Check-in was smooth, but we didn't wait for the normal check-in time and gambled on a room being available at 1:00; it was. Later there was quite a line to check in.
The challenges were...the safe in the closet was very low and Joe had to sit on the floor to access it. The shower was huge but I had to stand in the spray to turn it on and of course it starts out as COLD. Cool things...waving the key at the door lock felt very Jetsons, and finally someone has figured out an electronic answer to the Do Not Disturb card : a panel that controls lights, privacy, and requests to make up the room.
Addressing other guests concerns...there IS a separate entrance to the hotel, away from the main casino and across a large concourse from even the non-smoking part of the gaming floor. I'm pretty sensitive to smoke and can only think don544 just came in the wrong door. True, most restaurants surround the main casino, but just down from the hotel elevator is Smoke and Fire, and you actually turn AWAY from the casino to use the pool, so I'm not sure why he felt assaulted by smoke at every turn.
The pool area is very nice with a dry sauna, steam room, and the biggest hot tub I've seen this side of Vegas. The workout room seemed to be well-equipped, but we skipped it.
We enjoyed our visit and will return when the budget allows

Room Tip: We were asked at check-in if we had a preferred floor, and we didn't. We ended up on 6. I'm...
Allen Park, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We found the hotel to be very nice & classy --from the modern key cards to the comfortable room . The bathroom was a very nice touch with double sinks & enough room for a couple to share , especially with the privacy toilet closet.
The beds were very comfortable ...but the pillows were the only sour note to our whole stay . They were marshmallow plump--very uncomfortable& awkward to sleep on .
Our favorite spot besides the casino was the pool----what a wonderful way to unwind . The check in process could have been better --if we didn't have to wait while the clerk ignored us to continue to use her computer . I guess I am used to the professional greetings I have always received from other casino hotels ;where we are always greeted with a big smile & an immediate welcome .

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
flint
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

What good is a no-smoking hotel attached to a smoking casino? When you walk in the door your senses are attacked by a wave of odor coming from the casino floor and the odor is not pleasant.
This same odor follows you up the elevators and into the hotel hallways as you make your way to your room.
This was a non starter for us and a design flaw by the architect of the building and by whoever approved the design, the hotel entrance should not have been the same as the entrance to the casino and in this case we will not give them a second chance as we normally do as there is no way we could or they could overcome this flaw. It affected the entire stay as you have to wander through the smog even to dine or enjoy the pool.

Room Tip: Choose a hotel of property away from the casino, better value for the money
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
FireKeepersPennie, Guest Relations Manager at Firekeepers Casino Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
FireKeepers Casino Hotel accomodates all guests. Our state-of-the-art ventilation system, installed in the casino pre-August 2009 opening, contains 5,000 floor vents that push interior smoke upwards to the ceiling, where it is removed and replaced by fresh air circulated from the outside. It is the finest system in the casino industry permitting guests to enjoy their tobacco products while minimizing smoke.
Our new hotel, opened in December 2012, is smoke-free throughout to help preserve our guests' health. While immediately adjacent to the casino, guests can play in the smoke-free slot area immediately adjacent to the hotel lobby to minimize exposure to smoke.
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We traveled to Battle Creek with 3 other couples specifically to stay here... I had stopped by the casino on my way to Indianapolis last year, and talked our friends into making it a weekend getaway once the hotel was built.
The hotel is still obviously new, complete with 'new carpet smell' and everything. Rooms are on the small side, but large bathroom and very modern features (flat screens, XL glassed-in shower stall, etc...) make up for it a bit.
1st weird rule: no outside alcohol allowed. I don't know if it is because the hotel is on an indian reservation or not (we never received an explanation), but why have a refrigerator in the room if I can't bring my own beer or mixed drinks??
2nd weird rule: smoking in the non-smoking area of the casino isn't enforced? Had a security guard tell me it isn't worth their time enforcing. Then why advertise a non-smoking area???
Anyway, we all had fun, and went home happy... that's when 3 of the 4 couples received a phone call from our credit card companies; you guessed it: fraudulent charges. Luckily all 3 companies were on the ball and caught some weird charges (online gambling websites in Jamaica, Facebook purchases, telephone card purchases for Mexico, etc...) but what are the odds 3 of 4 couples' credit cards were affected? gotta be an inside job, right? We called the hotel security, guest relations manager, and hotel manager, and got nowhere... ALL gave us the "oh well, it happens" attitude.
My advice, reserve the room with your card, but pay cash for the room when you get there...

Room Tip: Rooms near the elevators were still pretty quiet. Pay cash when you get there, we had fraudulent ac...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

When we'd go to gamble at the Casino, before there was a hotel, we would often stay a mile or so down the freeway at one of the other hotels. Nice accommodations but no comparison to Firekeepers Hotel. We are heading back tomorrow for our second stay this year. This is a lovely, "big city" hotel. Yes, the Lobby is the only one we've ever seen with no furniture and yes, we will bring our own pillows this time, but the interior designer did one fabulous job in the rooms of this hotel; they are comfortable, lovely and modern. The Staff is learning but they are great. When we stayed in early January, our Chicago friends also stayed at the hotel - no complaints and they are critical travelers always looking for a "freebie". We are looking forward to eating at the Mijem Buffet for dinner when we get in tomorrow night and will return to do the breakfast buffet there again in the morning - the food is very good; the only casino buffet on par in Michigan is probably the buffet at the MGM Grand. For breakfast on our January 4th stay at Firekeepers we had breakfast at 24/7 and my wife and I enjoyed it immensely. For a "fast food" fix when we just drive to gamble for a few hours, Chi Mon-ee's is where we eat in the Casino; it has a "fast food" atmosphere but their food is wonderful - we especially LOVE their pizzas; we often take one home with us. Don't hesitate to stay at this hotel; it is easily the best hotel in the Battle Creek area.

Room Tip: Enjoy the view, what little there is, from the top, 8th floor.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Redford, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Let me start by saying that I may be a bit biased, as the night I stayed at the hotel, was free. However, during my stay, I repeatedly asked myself if I would pay for this. The answer is overwhelmingly, yes! The room was beautiful. We reserved a 2 queen bed room. The room was spacious and I love the attention to detail. (But, for me, it's the little things!) In the bathroom, there was a very generous display of toiletries, including shampoo, conditioner, body gel and cream, even a mini sewing kit (needles were pre-threaded!). There were plenty of cups/glasses. The TV was a very large flat screen. The beds were very comfortable and the sheets were clean. There were robes, with slippers in the closet. The pool looked AWESOME! but we did not go in. The staff was very nice.

My ONLY complaint would be that if you are a guest of the hotel, you must park outside, as the casino will not allow you to cross the floor with your bags to park in the parking garage. Luckily, there were three of us, so two of us went to get the car while one waited with our bags. (Sorry, I don't dig valet, just a personal thing). I think that if they offer garage parking to the casino players, there should be something comparable to those staying in the hotel. Just my thought, though.

I think that I would probably pay for a night at Firekeepers in the future... If I do, I will check back in.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Firekeepers Casino Hotel? Share your experiences!