The Baymont Inn & Suites, downtown Battle Creek, has some pretty distinct pros and cons. To sum it up for those of you in a hurry, this is a hotel I would neither avoid nor be drawn back to. We were in room 212, a suite with a king sized bed and Jacuzzi tub.
1) Very friendly staff front desk staff. They called our shortly after check-in to make sure we were comfortable. Later, they volunteered to bring us some towels for the pool. I think they did a great job.
2) Nice Pool. It was indoors, fairly clean, and warm enough to be comfortable. There was also a small but comfortable Jacuzzi.
3) Comfortable lobby area.
4) The King bed suite was very spacious.
5) The room was clean.
6) The Jacuzzi in the room was clean and operated correctly.
7) Free in-room wireless internet.
8) TV Reception was good (sometimes in hotels I find the signal split so many times the picture is pretty fuzzy.)
9) Free breakfast included some "hot" options.
10) The couch in the room was comfortable, though the TV was not near it.
11) A very generous 12 PM checkout time.
12) It was on a couple of big roads, but there was very little traffic noise.
1) The hotel, overall, is fairly outdated in its decor (by about 20 years.)
2) The AC unit in the room was too small (or too old) to keep the room cool. It also had the annoying habit of cycling on and off all night.
3) There was something about the plumbing...when someone on another floor or in another room flushed, our toilet would sound like it was flushing. Kind of annoying in the middle of the night.
4) Room, in general, was a little worse for the wear. It was clean, but a bit "worn out."
5) One of the wheels on the desk chair was broken...didn't notice until it almost spilled me out!
6) The bed was adequate but nothing special. I slept poorly due to it being too warm in the room, the toilet noises, and the AC going on and off.
7) The blow dryer didn't seem to work, and either there was no fan in the bathroom or it didn't work.
8) The bathroom was little bigger than a phone booth.
9) The room smelled bad. Not like animals or smoke, but more like mold. This bothered my allergies while I was trying to sleep.
10) The breakfast area is too small for the size of the hotel.
11) There was a big pile of old carpet and mattresses piled up under the staircase where we entered by a rear staircase. I'm sure they were waiting to be disposed of, but it was still unsightly.
12) The hallways are too dark...a combination of dim lights and dark carpet.
13) Only one vending machine with limited options.
14) Surprisingly few "chain" type restaurants around that weren't fast food.
Another reviewer mentioned that the hotel was in a marginal part of town safety-wise, but I didn't get the impression that there was anywhere in the city of Battle Creek that WASN'T kind of sketchy. This hotel is right next to what was probably the biggest high school I've ever seen. Being summer, it was empty, but I wonder what the hotel and area would be like on a Friday night in football season.
Overall, I'd have to experience more hotels in the area to be able to compare this one against what's average for the city. If I ever went back to Battle Creek I think I'd stay somewhere else, It's not that this hotel was terrible (again, the room was clean and the staff was nice) but I'd like to see what else the area has to offer.
At a hotel of this price, get the best room you can. It won't break your bank and you'll ap...
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
First, I really am impress with the specifics about the review.We are deeply grateful about your comment.
Report response as inappropriate
Just few things I need to clarify. First, the Hotel has been built in 2000, so it is not that new but it is the 3rd newest hotel in battle creek.
Yes, the hotel does have room to improve and we are really proud that we are making progress on renovation . As of to date, we have changed the carpet, furniture, bedding ,drapes, Flat Screen TV's in all rooms, and new tiles and decor for the lobby. We are spending every bit of money and time to continuously update the hotel. As you know, it is a continuous process so we are assuring you that we will constantly improve our hotel. to utmost satisfaction of the guest which is you..
I have notice lot of things which is needed to be done and your comment is greatly helping us to improve our standard day by day .
Thanks again for your valuable time and just wanted to appreciate you on behalf of entire Baymont Staff .
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.