“Superb simplicity” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Michigan USA
“Superb simplicity”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

We've eaten at Malia's a number of times and each time I tried something different and was very pleased. Recently, however, I have had the same dish twice. It was not that nothing else appealed to me, it was simply that this dish was so good the first time and I wanted to make sure there was consistency. There was. It was a very simple Italian dish, melanzane (eggplant) and Italian sausage, with a rich tomato sauce over fettucine, with some Parmesan cheese. I could eat this at least twice a week, and probably for dessert as well. Sometimes a simple recipe makes for one of the most satisfying meals you can order. We shared an appetizer, three dishes: roasted garlic purée, a warm goat cheese and a wonderful tapenade. That too, was wonderful and is calling us to come back......did I mention dessert? Caramel bread pudding with a rum sauce........

• Visited September 2013

Mexico City, Mexico
“Great change for dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

After a couple of days of pizza, hamburgers and all american food, this was a great change. The food quality is always great, and the service is very good. Portions are big, so be aware of this if you order an apetizer and a main dish. They always have some specialties for the night, so make sure you ask.

• Visited November 2013
Michigan
“Scrumptious grouper”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

It was our first experience at Mahlia but it won't be our last! The grouper was the best I've ever had & the sauce, vegetables & ravioli that accompanied it was excellent. The service was good & the atmosphere was fine. The wine was overpriced.

• Visited November 2013
Battle Creek
“Good But Not Exceptional”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Maybe I need to try some other dishes, but I found the food to be good, not great.

I was there twice and had the Chicken Marsala each time. It definitely wasn't bad tasting, but wasn't exceptional. Chicken Marsala is one of my favorite dishes, so I got it the second time to give it another try. For me, the main problem was that the chicken breast was very thick so I felt like I was just eating a big chunk of chicken with little flavor. Aside from that, the sauce was good, but not as tasty as other Chicken Marsala's I have had..

My wife ordered something different each time. I don't remember what she ordered (they were pasta dishes though.) The first dish she ordered, she had the same opinion as me.... good, but not great. The second time we went, she didn't like her meal at all, but that was to no fault of Malia's. She just read the description of the item wrong and it just wasn't something she would care for anywhere.

The lowest rating I give to Malia's is two stars for Value. I don't mind paying higher prices for food, but with the higher prices I expect food that is above average and that makes me hungry for more of.

The ambiance and service at Mali's, however, is very good. Battle Creek really needed a higher end restaurant downtown again and the wait staff was very friendly both visits.

With that all said, many people seem to love Malia's. So maybe it is just us. But I think they can up their game a little as far as taste. Like I said, their food wasn't bad tasting and wasn't over or under cooked, but just lacked the wow factor that I think they have the potential to have. I probably won't go back any time soon, but will be open to give it another try sometime down the road.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Baltimore
“Delighted!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Had a great meal there on a Friday night. The waiter couldn't have been nicer and the Cioppino was terrific. So glad to discover this lovely place. It makes a trip to Battle Creek something to anticipate.

• Visited September 2013