“Clean room, good value and great location” 4 of 5 stars

Baraga Lakeside Inn
900 US 41 South, PO Box 873, Baraga, MI 49908   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Baraga
Texas
“Clean room, good value and great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We arrived on 7/1/2013 and departed on 7/5/2013. I paid $84.59 per night for a lakeside room (room 305). The view of the lake is beautiful. The room was clean and no glaring spots on the carpet. Also, the bathroom was nice and clean. The walls must be thin because I could hear lots of noise from room 304 for my first 2 nights. I had to wear ear plugs in order to sleep those nights. FYI...they play music in the hallway and the speaker was right outside of my door. I could hear the music in my room in the morning while trying to read. I asked them to turn it down and they turned it off which was nice. There is a business center (it is called the Pre-Function room) but it is not obvious to find. If you are facing the front desk, it is to the right of the front desk and next to the laundry room. There is 1 computer in there with a printer. It was nice to be able to print my boarding pass there. I found the WiFi to be slow and intermittent in my room. My biggest complaint was the mattress. It was pretty firm. I have problems with my lower back and I had a hard time sleeping. I talked to the front desk about the problem and they added 2 more pads to the mattress and that helped a little bit. The mattress and the box springs look old. I didn't make my review rating Average because the mattress in my mother's room did not bother her (it was the same firm mattress). Normally, I sleep on a pillowtop mattress. Also, the chairs in the room were uncomfortable. I like to spend time reading in the morning before starting the day and it was uncomfortable to sit too long in the chair. FYI...there is no free breakfast. For $84.59 per night for a lakeside room, you are probably not going to find a better value though. Unless, they replace the mattresses with more comfortable mattresses like pillowtop mattresses, I will probably not stay there again. That is too bad because I liked everything else about this place other than the mattress and chair.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights. I have no complaints about this hotel. The beds were comfortable, spotless room, the bathroom looked like it had been recently updated. The lakeside view was beautiful! The restaurant attached was very good, nice staff members and fast food! I would stay there again! I read other reviews about people saying they dislike how there isn't a breakfast included; the rooms for how nice they are and lake view, it is a very good value. The room I was in had a microwave and a mini fridge. So I just went to the market and threw food items in the fridge.

• Stayed July 2013
Sue B, General Manager at Baraga Lakeside Inn, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to the area. We are pleased that your stay was enjoyable. Please stop in and see us again when you are in our area.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

Had an excellent experience at the Baraga Lakeside Inn. A group of us were on a motorcycle trip around the UP and booked two nights here at the middle of our trip. After an unpleasant experience with the past hotel's restaurant, we were leary of what the next one had in store.

The hotel restaurant staff was pleasant and the food was great! Rooms were very clean and the bathrooms were nicely updated! I stayed back one day to relax and I felt safe and very comfy resting in and outside of the hotel area.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for staying with us while in our area. We hope that you will be back to see us soon.
Lansing, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I stayed here during a work trip at the recommendation of a colleague. The rooms were clean, spacious and quiet. The staff was friendly as well. I didn't do anything other than sleep though so can't comment on much else.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us while in Baraga. We hope that you will be able to come back an enjoy our area real soon.
Elkhart, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We needed a place for the night and while reading our Hunt's Map Guide to the Upper Peninsula, this hotel was mentioned as a Best Western. It was well priced and right on the water. The pool was great, but I agree with the other reviews there needs to be a continental breakfast offered, I didn't even think to ask upon check-in because most hotels include this. Clean room but did smell like cigarette smoke when we walked in. All and all nice place.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

We wonder how this place stays in existence. We had visited previously when it was under a different name. Drove into town without reservations. We needed 2 connecting rooms and were happy with the quoted price. The rooms were fine, we had no complaints. We had dinner that evening in the restaurant. On a Saturday evening we were the only family dining the entire time.
The meal was fine, again no complaints. Sunday morning again for breakfast we were the only people in the restaurant the entire meal. Upon checking out I noticed that there were only 3 other rooms rented in the entire 3 story building. Sad but true.
Our only suggestion would be to serve a complimentary breakfast. Due to the lack of lodging in the area, I am sure they can get away with not including breakfast with the room rate, but this day and age we certainly do base our stays on what is offered.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Sue B, General Manager at Baraga Lakeside Inn, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate your business during this slow time of the season. With Mother Nature playing games with our weather, travelers have been slow in coming to the beautiful Upper Peninsula. I am pleased that your stay was enjoyable and I do hope that we see you again in the very near future.
Coloma, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

This is an older hotel. Our room was very clean as was the rest of the establishment. The hotel has a lounge and resturant. We had drinks one night which were typical of a hotel bar. The hotel sits on Keweenaw Bay. Our room had a beautiful view of the bay. The hotel had many large windows in the hallways, etc. which also offered large scenic views. The rooms were quiet and unlike most hotels you were not awakened when people shower in the room next door. Next time I'm in this area I will stay here. The customer service was exceptional as well.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the bay