“Another Perfect Weekend” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 10 Yarmouth Port B&B and Inns
Barre, MA
“Another Perfect Weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

Another perfect weekend at the One Centre Street Inn. Our home away from home on the Cape. There are so many reasons we keep coming back ....love this B&B...clean clean rooms, great breakfasts, perfect location, the best hosts and of course Brewster! And then there's Kayaking at its best less than a mile away with free parking.

Thanks for another wonderful weekend!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

This was our 3rd trip to this inn...last year we fell in love with Cape Cod, and this bed and breakfast in particular. When my husband and I decided to get married in Cape Cod, we knew we would feel most at home staying with Mary and Judy in the One Centre Street Inn. Mary welcomed all of our closest friends with the same hospitality we have become so accustomed to. She makes the most incredible breakfasts, has the most inviting and welcoming rooms (and comfortable beds), and gives you excellent advice on restaurants and attractions. You truly feel at home. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

What an incredible treasure we found in the One Centre Street Inn in Yarmouth Port and the hosts of the Inn. From the moment we arrived to the moment we departed, we felt as though we were in our own home and truly felt welcomed. Having travelled extensively and stayed in all manner of accomodation, we can truly say that this is one of the best inns/b&bs that we have ever stayed in. The inn is well situated in a lovely small town that affords a quiter/peaceful vacation and yet given the size of the cape is in an ideal location for daily jaunts to the various parts of the cape.

We cannot say enough about the warm, knowledgeable and generous hospitality of our primary host (Mary Singleton). From the moment we arrived, we felt welcomed and at home. Not only did Mary provide us with great travel tips during our stay, but also lined us up with some fabulous dining experiences.

We stayed a total of 4 evenings - 1 in Cogswell and 3 in Doane, and loved both rooms for their tasteful presentation and very comfortable beds. Surprisingly, each of our breakfasts were different during our stay, and were not only filling, but delicious each time.

Thank you so much for an inviting and pleasurable stay during our time on the Cape. We look forward to our return and to debating which room in your lovely inn we will book. What a fabulous property!!!
K&S

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2009

A few friends and I traveled to New England last fall and staying One Centre Street was one of the highlights. The Inn is located on a historic, picturesque street, Olde Kings Highway, which boasts some of the most magnificent Cape homes. As echoed by every review so far, Mary, the inn keeper, couldn't have been a more warm, welcoming host. She was always available for restaurant suggestions or a cup of tea or just to offer up some good New England conversation, including bemoaning the loss of the Patriot's Tom Brady to injury.

We stayed in the Phillips room in perhaps the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in! Breakfast was wonderful and allows you some social time with other guests of the Inn. Despite two or three other couples staying there, that was the only time we ran into them so the Inn never feels crowded.

Our only complaint was the stay there was too short!

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2008

Before I get into the review I am going to tell you a story. Close your eyes and picture the scene.

You are on a vacation wanting to get away from the big city and you drive up to a very New England, very old, very Victorian manor. You are excited to be staying in such a small and intimate place. You check in and the grizzled innkeeper eyes you suspiciously. She hands you the key with her gnarled hand and you uneasily head to your room.

Your room is rustic with dim lighting and you note that the door could very easily be kicked in or hacked in with a machete. You tell yourself that you are silly until you hearing heavy breathing on the other side of the door. The fact that this is an old, very old manor makes it all the more creepy as portraits from the 1800's stare at you from the wall. You open the door to peek out and the door creeks loudly. You are convinced you will be butchered in your sleep.

This is the scene that my fiance is convinced will happen when you stay in "somebody's house." He has a thing against anything that looks like a house and would never stay in a B&B.

So, I made him stay at the One Centre Street Inn, and although very old, I can tell you NONE of the above things happened.

However, to note, don't go to the movies before you stay in such a place that has a creepy innkeeper ready to hack to you bits (as we did 2 hours before we came back to sleep).
We had such a great stay, that the man even said he would stay there again! (after he realized we wouldn't be hacked to death).

I initially made a reservation for a room with a private bath. I promptly got an email saying that there was an error and that room wasn't available. I got a bigger room at the same rate and even though it had a shared bath, we got it privately. So from the get go we had great customer service.

We arrived a few hours before check in and we at first didn't see the Inn because it is on a residential street. I didn't expect that. It is a wonderful New England Home. We were told to come back in a few hours. When we came back the smoke alarm was blaring but there wasn't a fire. The innkeeper was frazzled, but it didn't bother us at all and I felt bad because I know she was hoping we wouldn't be upset.
Our room (The Philips) had a large bed and also a day bed in the room. The TV was very tiny, but at least there was a TV. There was an air conditioner in the window.

The bathroom had recently been done and was very nice. The shower is just a small stall shower. I am really glad that I didn't have to share with someone else because the doors to the bathroom are not sound proof what so ever and that would be quite awkward. The basket in the bathroom had a makeup remover, some Oil of Olay night cream, and Tom's of Maine toothpaste (additional to the standard shampoo and conditioner). I thought that those items were nice added touches.

The innkeeper has a beautiful cat on the premises named Brewster. Another patron was allergic so we didn't see much of him but he was so nice!

The breakfast in the AM was served at 8:30am. It was beyond good. A fresh muffin, blueberries and pineapples, fresh orange juice or cranberry, coffee, and a cross between an omelet and fritada. It was eggy, cheesy, and had ham and veggies. SO GOOD!!
Our innkeeper was so nice and helpful.
It cost $148 for the room and breakfast and for June in the Cape, this is a reasonable price.

• Liked — Quaint, clean, great breakfast
  • Disliked — TV was very small, some rooms not as private
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hopkinton, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2008

Just got back from a weekend at this Inn and both Mary and the Inn lived up to the wonderful reviews I read on this site about the Inn (and the reason I chose this place). The breakfasts were outstanding, and Mary even surprised my boyfriend and another guest with a birthday cake since both had birthdays this weekend.

This was my boyfriend's first stay in a B&B, and I could tell he was hesitant at first. Granted, you don't have the privacy/isolation you might have in a hotel, and he was a bit freaked that we could hear other people moving about/talking in the Inn from our room (which I think is common at most B&Bs). But he did very much enjoy the personal connection with Mary, her recommendations for things to do/places to eat, and the conversations/greetings during breakfast -- and agreed that personal touch was something you definitely DON'T find at a hotel.

I myself have stayed at numerous B&Bs and while I found the hosts at all or most of those places delightful, I think Mary is in her own category. She really makes you feel like you are visiting a friend whose only concern is making sure you have a great time in her wonderful slice of Cape Cod heaven.

• Liked — The personal service from Mary, the Innkeeper
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
East Bay, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2007

Mary and her partner were superb. We arrived midday after a long flfihgt. She took care of dinner reservations, Barnstable Retaurant, which was great food. She offered us wine, the breakfgasts were outstanding.
Whenver we came in or left she offered us tips and hints, greeted us, it was really nice, you felt like you were coming home.
The rooms are huge, great value for the buck, you have the run of the house so can relax in any number of open rooms.
Mary handled our Hyline high speed Ferry reservation, our dinners, she called around on 4-5 occasions to get us info.
I could go on but this is the kind of B&B you find and stick with, we are coming back here, no need to ever look any further.
I actually promised myself that since I used this website to review B&B's before we took this last trip, that I'd share the good experiences when they happened.
Stay at the 1 Centre Street Inn, you will NOT regret the decision.
Oh yeah, the breakfasts were way more than plentiful, in fact we felt guilty for not eating as much as was brought out, the food was great, and they pour a good glass of wine too!!!

Stayed September 2007

Been to One Centre Street Inn? Share your experiences!