“Cute Place - Long Wait” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Monrovia, CA
“Cute Place - Long Wait”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We arrived at this cute little Victorian building on a rainy Sunday on our way through Cape Cod and decided to give it a try. We got there right about noon and had to wait 15 minutes for a table. The interior is very vintage and is decorated with lots of charm.

We went for lunch, but when we placed our orders, I asked for sweet potato fries instead of chips or fries. The server told me they don't actually fry the potatoes, so it would probably be a 15-minute wait, so I told her I'd take the chips instead. She offered to pack up the fries to go and put in our order for lunch. After about 20 minutes, the manager came by with samples of their home baked scones and told us our order would be right out. Another 15 minutes went by, and still no food. When the server came to apologize, she offered to do a song and dance to keep us entertained while we waited.....that's how awkward it was to be sitting there for over 30 minutes. At 45 minutes, we were just getting ready to pay for our sodas and leave when the food finally arrived. I'm sorry, but 45 minutes to make a tuna melt and a turkey wrap is a little unreasonable, if you ask me.

I must admit that once the food arrived, we were pleased with it. The wrap was filled with lots of turkey and served with a cranberry mayo, while the tuna melt was one of the best I've ever had. I even got the sweet potato fries!

I think this place is very hit & miss, which you can tell from the various reviews. I'm sure their breakfast and afternoon tea are a big hit, but I'd probably never go back.

East Coast
“Tea Time!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Perfect for luncheon or tea.
Even for men!
This establishment gets it right with the hominess of Irish flair and artistic flair in the decor. So many restaurants of this nature are stuffy and old fashioned but not this...love the juxtaposition of updated decor w/ old school tea. The soups and sandwiches are tasty and I think you will enjoy your time here.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dennis, Massachusetts
“Fabulous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Excellent service- had late breakfast-spinach & potato fritatta w/ fresh fruit-so delicious. Just loved the historic house. I am now excited to go back & try the high tea they offer-just a great place! The prices are on the high end for breakfast/lunch.

Rocky Hill, Connecticut
“Nothing Special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

My husband and I had seen the restaurant a few days before and it looked like it might be a good place. We looked at the rating on TripAdvisor and thought we would give it a try. We both ordered the Ruben which was referred to as "The Best in Town". My guess is that no other restaurants in town have the Ruben on their menu, because it was really nothing special. The sandwich was a little skimpy and the Sweet potato fries were a little burned on the ends, but the middle was soggy. On the positive side, the service was great and the prices were very reasonable and the place itself has a lot of charm.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
New York
“Local gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Great food for moderate prices and excellent tea. Nice building with a local charm. Some things were a little overpriced for the quantity but the food was fresh and they had a diverse menu.

• Visited September 2013