“Quaint inn with a great innkeeper!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Lowest Rate Guarantee
Ranked #8 of 10 Yarmouth Port B&B and Inns
Oxford, Massachusetts
“Quaint inn with a great innkeeper!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

My husband and I and our friends went to the Colonial House Inn for one of their murder mystery weekends. Though a lot of the other couples who were going to participate in the mystery cancelled due to the weather, we still had a wonderful time in this lovely inn. The murder mystery weekend included the murder mystery weekend script, and breakfast and dinner for the weekend. It was a nice weekend away! Mac, the innkeeper, was very pleasant and offered us many suggestions of things to see in the area. The breakfast was yummy with a mixture of tasty breakfast treats- french toast, muffins, banana bread, 2 kinds of quiche, juice, coffee and tea. The meal selections were varied and very filling. We would definitely recommend the apple pie- it is to die for!

Room Tip: There is not an elevator, which is common in all inns. We stayed in a great Captain Eldridge room t...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

157 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Binghamton, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I found this delightful Inn while searching for a pet friendly place for my dog and I to stay during our winter getaway on Cape Cod. I was amazed. From the moment I walked in the front door I felt like family. Mac, the Innkeeper, was exceptional at knowing how to anticipate and meet every need that I might have. Each morning after a breakfast of homemade quiche and pastries, Mac would talk with me about my plans for the day, then map out the best route for my adventures. I would return in the evening, to my antique furnished room, to prepare for the evening dining experience. The staff treated me like a princess, with just the right amount of attentiveness. The food was so delicious! With a menu of items to choose from, one waitress asked me what had been my favorite. My answer - Everything!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Malcolm69, Innkeeper at Colonial House Inn, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Thank you so very much for taking the time to write a review. Looking forward to your next visit.
Mac
Innkeeper
Burlington, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

When we first walked in, we were a little worried that we had made a mistake. It is an old house, and we did not know what to expect.Boy were we surprised. Yes the rooms were not Five Star. But its not like we were going to spend alot of time there anyways. Located close to all the things we wanted to see made it convenient. The rooms may not have been the greatest, but we knew that this wasn't the Hilton.They were spotlessly clean.The shower had its quirks, but once we figured it out,were fine.The only complaint with the rooms was the cable on the TV. Lousy reception. The meals that were included in the price of the room were what blew us away. The dinners were Five Star. Excellent!!!Cooked to perfection.The breakfast platter was more than we could eat. Mac was a wonderful tour help. We definitely will be going back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
danbury
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We just cut our stay early because of the horrible time that we had at the Colonial House Inn. Other than the food, breakfast was mediocre the two dinners that we did have were excellent but Mac, the innkeeper doesn't appreciate families so do not go there if you have children. The room was dingy and small, spiders and the floors were dirty. The pool was small and covered in mold and how it states on the web site heated, you may want to bring your winter coat to swim in. Mac would not turn on the jaccuzzi tub and when I went to go and take a hot shower the shower was cold. The inn itself is run-down, outdated, smelly, grimy, dirty and they mask it with air purifiers and SEVERAL glade sented plug-ins. They are not service oriented and they do not make you feel welcomed. Plus they over charged us for our stay but we needed to get out that we didn't care. Do yourself a favor and do not stay here ESPECIALLY if you have kids!

Portland, Maine
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

This was a huge disappointment. The pillow cases were wrinkled, the shower screeched as it dumped water over me in an irregular stream. The televisions were all different in each room, ours came in clearly but didn't have the channels that others did. Another guest had many channels, all fuzzy. A third couple had a tv with one channel. The carpet was disgusting. The walls were chipping, unsightly accomodations overall. The breakfast was terrible. Dinner was pleasant--food was pretty tasty. Servers were not very kind and efficient though. Our skeleton key to our room was neat but not functional, literally took 5-10 min to lock our room each time. Another couple had their room cleaned and left open by the help. They also were interupted while taking a nap... someone came right into their room. The owner of the inn "preferred" but really insisted we charge everything to our room (such as rounds of drinks) so he only had to pay one swipe fee (Visa and MasterCard would not approve). The owner charged for desserts that were to be included in our package. We were charged more than we had anticipated as well. Phones didn't work. Hammering was heard and we were told that they were tenderizing veal--not on the menu at all. We were also told there were two dinner menus, not the case either. I had gone into this open minded as I have stayed at older places before with much character... this is not that place. Literally everything that could have dissapointed us did. I would consider looking elsewhere.

Room Tip: I saw two rooms, our own and one others. They were both terrible.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Malcolm69, Owner at Colonial House Inn, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Dear Guest,

My sincere apologies that your experiences did not live up to our establishment's expectations. We are an Inn that, 300 years ago, was a sea captain's home. Therefore, my energetic, passionate and local staff face challenges that wouldn't occur in a newly-built national chain hotel.

The amount of television channels offered to every room is unchanging. The problem you described comes down to the individual TV set's "program" button, where it iterates through the available channels so you don't have to flick through non-existant ones. This button can be pressed at any time by any one. I suspect these TVs' "program" buttons were pressed at an inoppurtune time, or were pressed and then cancelled, and have unfortunately remained that way since. An inquiry directed at the manager would have surely rectified this problem for you.

I'm sorry you didn't like the waitstaff but they almost always get glowing reviews. Perhaps there was some other conflict that wasn't mentioned.

Your complaints about "another couple's" experiences are second-hand and an inaccurate retelling of what actually happened. The day in question we were running diagnostics on our heating system. I escorted the plumber to the top floor, where we proceeded to knock on and unlock every door as to allow unfettered access to the radiators in every room. When all was said and done, we went downstairs to restart the system and see if everything was circulating correctly. In those few scant minutes downstairs, the couple had come back to the Inn and up to their room. So they closed their door and that is how I managed to "walk in on them." The couple was extremely understanding of the situation, by the way. We had no malicious intent with regards to their property or their privacy. The respect of those two things are pillars that my business is built on.

Your room package did have dessert included and those in your party who had dessert were NOT charged for it. I review the guest slips before check out in the morning and I just re-reviewed our copies of them now. I also go out of my way to clearly communicate the pricing to the customer.

It seems the crux of the problems you had were due, or in some way due, to miscommunication. I'm sorry this occurred but I truly believe I employ very friendly, approachable people who are willing to do their jobs as described. Such falliciously poor reviews can affect their livelihood so I thought it important to respond.

The Colonial House Inn and its staff are constantly looking for ways to improve. An open dialogue between staff and customers is penultimate to that goal. We will encourage all customers to air their complaints in a manner of which we are able to immediately address their concerns - instead of waiting to post a review online.

Thank you for your patronage and we extend an invitation for you to stay again if you so choose.
Cape Cod
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We went in the off seasons, so we were the only ones in the restaurant. This might worry some, me included, as I have had some poor experiences in the slow season, and on a slow night. But, the waiter was excellent and charming, the food was fantastic, and we got to have the place to ourselves! I would definitely recommend it for dinner.

Columbus, Indiana, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

This Inn was a huge disappointment and greatly overpriced. Though as I say that, it's hard to imagine that it would be worth staying here at ANY price. It is dank, shabby, mildewy, smelly and physically unattractive. Everything needs upgrading: sheets are thin, mismatched and stained, carpets are stained and worn, wallpaper is peeling and ugly. It is unkempt, unclean and falling apart. We were told on numerous occasions that we needed to tip the server at breakfast which I can only surmise indicates that the poor (rather sweet) woman is grossly underpaid. I didn't go to business school, but anyone can figure out that it is a primary tenet of running a vacation town hotel that the owner needs to invest some of the profits into upgrading and maintaining the property. This is clearly not done as it is in serious disrepair and need of a great deal of refurbishing. The only superlative I can think of is that it is the most money I've ever spend on such a miserable place to stay. I honestly felt like I was trapped in a substandard nursing home. We couldn't wait to check out.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Colonial House Inn? Share your experiences!