“Horrible” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 10 Yarmouth Port B&B and Inns
Portland, Maine
“Horrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

This was a huge disappointment. The pillow cases were wrinkled, the shower screeched as it dumped water over me in an irregular stream. The televisions were all different in each room, ours came in clearly but didn't have the channels that others did. Another guest had many channels, all fuzzy. A third couple had a tv with one channel. The carpet was disgusting. The walls were chipping, unsightly accomodations overall. The breakfast was terrible. Dinner was pleasant--food was pretty tasty. Servers were not very kind and efficient though. Our skeleton key to our room was neat but not functional, literally took 5-10 min to lock our room each time. Another couple had their room cleaned and left open by the help. They also were interupted while taking a nap... someone came right into their room. The owner of the inn "preferred" but really insisted we charge everything to our room (such as rounds of drinks) so he only had to pay one swipe fee (Visa and MasterCard would not approve). The owner charged for desserts that were to be included in our package. We were charged more than we had anticipated as well. Phones didn't work. Hammering was heard and we were told that they were tenderizing veal--not on the menu at all. We were also told there were two dinner menus, not the case either. I had gone into this open minded as I have stayed at older places before with much character... this is not that place. Literally everything that could have dissapointed us did. I would consider looking elsewhere.

Room Tip: I saw two rooms, our own and one others. They were both terrible.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Malcolm69, Owner at Colonial House Inn, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Dear Guest,

My sincere apologies that your experiences did not live up to our establishment's expectations. We are an Inn that, 300 years ago, was a sea captain's home. Therefore, my energetic, passionate and local staff face challenges that wouldn't occur in a newly-built national chain hotel.

The amount of television channels offered to every room is unchanging. The problem you described comes down to the individual TV set's "program" button, where it iterates through the available channels so you don't have to flick through non-existant ones. This button can be pressed at any time by any one. I suspect these TVs' "program" buttons were pressed at an inoppurtune time, or were pressed and then cancelled, and have unfortunately remained that way since. An inquiry directed at the manager would have surely rectified this problem for you.

I'm sorry you didn't like the waitstaff but they almost always get glowing reviews. Perhaps there was some other conflict that wasn't mentioned.

Your complaints about "another couple's" experiences are second-hand and an inaccurate retelling of what actually happened. The day in question we were running diagnostics on our heating system. I escorted the plumber to the top floor, where we proceeded to knock on and unlock every door as to allow unfettered access to the radiators in every room. When all was said and done, we went downstairs to restart the system and see if everything was circulating correctly. In those few scant minutes downstairs, the couple had come back to the Inn and up to their room. So they closed their door and that is how I managed to "walk in on them." The couple was extremely understanding of the situation, by the way. We had no malicious intent with regards to their property or their privacy. The respect of those two things are pillars that my business is built on.

Your room package did have dessert included and those in your party who had dessert were NOT charged for it. I review the guest slips before check out in the morning and I just re-reviewed our copies of them now. I also go out of my way to clearly communicate the pricing to the customer.

It seems the crux of the problems you had were due, or in some way due, to miscommunication. I'm sorry this occurred but I truly believe I employ very friendly, approachable people who are willing to do their jobs as described. Such falliciously poor reviews can affect their livelihood so I thought it important to respond.

The Colonial House Inn and its staff are constantly looking for ways to improve. An open dialogue between staff and customers is penultimate to that goal. We will encourage all customers to air their complaints in a manner of which we are able to immediately address their concerns - instead of waiting to post a review online.

Thank you for your patronage and we extend an invitation for you to stay again if you so choose.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Cape Cod
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We went in the off seasons, so we were the only ones in the restaurant. This might worry some, me included, as I have had some poor experiences in the slow season, and on a slow night. But, the waiter was excellent and charming, the food was fantastic, and we got to have the place to ourselves! I would definitely recommend it for dinner.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Columbus, Indiana, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

This Inn was a huge disappointment and greatly overpriced. Though as I say that, it's hard to imagine that it would be worth staying here at ANY price. It is dank, shabby, mildewy, smelly and physically unattractive. Everything needs upgrading: sheets are thin, mismatched and stained, carpets are stained and worn, wallpaper is peeling and ugly. It is unkempt, unclean and falling apart. We were told on numerous occasions that we needed to tip the server at breakfast which I can only surmise indicates that the poor (rather sweet) woman is grossly underpaid. I didn't go to business school, but anyone can figure out that it is a primary tenet of running a vacation town hotel that the owner needs to invest some of the profits into upgrading and maintaining the property. This is clearly not done as it is in serious disrepair and need of a great deal of refurbishing. The only superlative I can think of is that it is the most money I've ever spend on such a miserable place to stay. I honestly felt like I was trapped in a substandard nursing home. We couldn't wait to check out.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ridgefield, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

We have been going here for many years now for a long weekend getaway. The Inn has a certain charm and we always enjoy our stay. Colonial House Inn is a great deal, has great food and the staff is very frendly and accommodating.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Bostpn
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

I really wanted to like this place. Goodness knows I tried. Every time I saw a problem, my inner self came up with an excuse. But in the end the list was too overwhelming. Imagine that you have a Grandma who lives in a really big, old house. You are visiting for the weekend and all the quirky things about her and her home seem charming at first. You pass on the run down appearance of the place figuring that she is old and can't do everything herself. You chuckle at the furniture that she obviously bought from local yard sales. The 'artwork' and other junk around the place The mismatch of well worn towels and sheets. The scuffed up and peeling paint on the walls and the exposed wiring everywhere. She's old right? When you have written your name in the dirt on top of the furniture you start to figure that maybe granny needs some help around the place. The endless cobwebs, oh well! I passed on taking a shower as I wasn't really sure if I would be cleaner before or after.

Here, Granny serves breakfast one way. Her way. No choice, no argument. Sit where you are told and eat what you are served.

The problem with all this is that your real granny doesn't present you with a New York sized bill as you are leaving. I have a granny and, even though she is 80 years old, her house is clean, modern and well run. The sheets are crisp, clean and white and the bathroom is spotless. And when I leave, she gives me a big hug. If you have a choice, stay with your granny not here.

Room Tip: Make sure you specify a double bed. We were stuck with two small singles
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Natick,Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

Stayed here for just one night, but it was nothing to write home about.

The room and bathroom were small and the bed was saggy and not very firm. Of course the drain in the shower did not drain well. Doesn't that always seem to happen? By then, it's too late to notify anyone.

The compimentary breakfast was just OK. Our server was very good, though.

The good news is that they didn't require a 2-night stay like most B&B's do on the Cape. And, their price was a little more reasonable.

Sorry, I can't give an enthusiastic recommendation to the Colonial House.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
east haddam
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

Just geting to the front door to the building I got splinters on my hand, from holding onto the railing. When I entered the rm. I wanted to run, but I had paid for 2 days, and would of forfeited my money. The rug had burn marks from a droped iron. The furniture was old and the rm was dirty, I looked up and you can see the amount of dirt on the ceiling fan. The First thing I did was use my pets blankets to cover the bedspread. I used my dogs towels to cover the pillows. Dinner the waiter's shirt was filthy, the dinner was o.k. I would't let my dogs in that pool, it was green. Skipped breakfast nothing to brag about, I just wanted to go home. When I got home the first thing I did was take a shower and wash my hair. I used the steam cycle to wash my clothes, which I left my luggage open on my porch for a couple of days. My dogs went to the groomers for a thorough grooming the very next day.I will never ever go to a place relying on pictures on a web site.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Colonial House Inn? Share your experiences!