“Dinner was excellent!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 10 Yarmouth Port B&B and Inns
Cape Cod
“Dinner was excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We went in the off seasons, so we were the only ones in the restaurant. This might worry some, me included, as I have had some poor experiences in the slow season, and on a slow night. But, the waiter was excellent and charming, the food was fantastic, and we got to have the place to ourselves! I would definitely recommend it for dinner.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Columbus, Indiana, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

This Inn was a huge disappointment and greatly overpriced. Though as I say that, it's hard to imagine that it would be worth staying here at ANY price. It is dank, shabby, mildewy, smelly and physically unattractive. Everything needs upgrading: sheets are thin, mismatched and stained, carpets are stained and worn, wallpaper is peeling and ugly. It is unkempt, unclean and falling apart. We were told on numerous occasions that we needed to tip the server at breakfast which I can only surmise indicates that the poor (rather sweet) woman is grossly underpaid. I didn't go to business school, but anyone can figure out that it is a primary tenet of running a vacation town hotel that the owner needs to invest some of the profits into upgrading and maintaining the property. This is clearly not done as it is in serious disrepair and need of a great deal of refurbishing. The only superlative I can think of is that it is the most money I've ever spend on such a miserable place to stay. I honestly felt like I was trapped in a substandard nursing home. We couldn't wait to check out.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ridgefield, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

We have been going here for many years now for a long weekend getaway. The Inn has a certain charm and we always enjoy our stay. Colonial House Inn is a great deal, has great food and the staff is very frendly and accommodating.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Bostpn
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

I really wanted to like this place. Goodness knows I tried. Every time I saw a problem, my inner self came up with an excuse. But in the end the list was too overwhelming. Imagine that you have a Grandma who lives in a really big, old house. You are visiting for the weekend and all the quirky things about her and her home seem charming at first. You pass on the run down appearance of the place figuring that she is old and can't do everything herself. You chuckle at the furniture that she obviously bought from local yard sales. The 'artwork' and other junk around the place The mismatch of well worn towels and sheets. The scuffed up and peeling paint on the walls and the exposed wiring everywhere. She's old right? When you have written your name in the dirt on top of the furniture you start to figure that maybe granny needs some help around the place. The endless cobwebs, oh well! I passed on taking a shower as I wasn't really sure if I would be cleaner before or after.

Here, Granny serves breakfast one way. Her way. No choice, no argument. Sit where you are told and eat what you are served.

The problem with all this is that your real granny doesn't present you with a New York sized bill as you are leaving. I have a granny and, even though she is 80 years old, her house is clean, modern and well run. The sheets are crisp, clean and white and the bathroom is spotless. And when I leave, she gives me a big hug. If you have a choice, stay with your granny not here.

Room Tip: Make sure you specify a double bed. We were stuck with two small singles
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Natick,Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

Stayed here for just one night, but it was nothing to write home about.

The room and bathroom were small and the bed was saggy and not very firm. Of course the drain in the shower did not drain well. Doesn't that always seem to happen? By then, it's too late to notify anyone.

The compimentary breakfast was just OK. Our server was very good, though.

The good news is that they didn't require a 2-night stay like most B&B's do on the Cape. And, their price was a little more reasonable.

Sorry, I can't give an enthusiastic recommendation to the Colonial House.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
east haddam
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

Just geting to the front door to the building I got splinters on my hand, from holding onto the railing. When I entered the rm. I wanted to run, but I had paid for 2 days, and would of forfeited my money. The rug had burn marks from a droped iron. The furniture was old and the rm was dirty, I looked up and you can see the amount of dirt on the ceiling fan. The First thing I did was use my pets blankets to cover the bedspread. I used my dogs towels to cover the pillows. Dinner the waiter's shirt was filthy, the dinner was o.k. I would't let my dogs in that pool, it was green. Skipped breakfast nothing to brag about, I just wanted to go home. When I got home the first thing I did was take a shower and wash my hair. I used the steam cycle to wash my clothes, which I left my luggage open on my porch for a couple of days. My dogs went to the groomers for a thorough grooming the very next day.I will never ever go to a place relying on pictures on a web site.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Glastonbury, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

We stayed 2 nights with another couple, and felt like we were old friends with the staff. They did everything they could to make our stay comfortable, and Mac, the innkeeper, did an excellent job of planning our excursions to explore the area, as did Matthew, our waiter. Both were very entertaining in their own way, with a great sense of humor. We were pleasantly surprised by the more than adequate lighting in the room, since we are both readers. Breakfast and dinner entrees were included, with a wide menu selection.

Room Tip: Ask for a lower floor or the carriage house if stairs are a problem, since this is a 3 story colonia...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Colonial House Inn? Share your experiences!