“Great Deal” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 10 Yarmouth Port B&B and Inns
Ridgefield, Connecticut
“Great Deal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

We have been going here for many years now for a long weekend getaway. The Inn has a certain charm and we always enjoy our stay. Colonial House Inn is a great deal, has great food and the staff is very frendly and accommodating.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Bostpn
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

I really wanted to like this place. Goodness knows I tried. Every time I saw a problem, my inner self came up with an excuse. But in the end the list was too overwhelming. Imagine that you have a Grandma who lives in a really big, old house. You are visiting for the weekend and all the quirky things about her and her home seem charming at first. You pass on the run down appearance of the place figuring that she is old and can't do everything herself. You chuckle at the furniture that she obviously bought from local yard sales. The 'artwork' and other junk around the place The mismatch of well worn towels and sheets. The scuffed up and peeling paint on the walls and the exposed wiring everywhere. She's old right? When you have written your name in the dirt on top of the furniture you start to figure that maybe granny needs some help around the place. The endless cobwebs, oh well! I passed on taking a shower as I wasn't really sure if I would be cleaner before or after.

Here, Granny serves breakfast one way. Her way. No choice, no argument. Sit where you are told and eat what you are served.

The problem with all this is that your real granny doesn't present you with a New York sized bill as you are leaving. I have a granny and, even though she is 80 years old, her house is clean, modern and well run. The sheets are crisp, clean and white and the bathroom is spotless. And when I leave, she gives me a big hug. If you have a choice, stay with your granny not here.

Room Tip: Make sure you specify a double bed. We were stuck with two small singles
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Natick,Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

Stayed here for just one night, but it was nothing to write home about.

The room and bathroom were small and the bed was saggy and not very firm. Of course the drain in the shower did not drain well. Doesn't that always seem to happen? By then, it's too late to notify anyone.

The compimentary breakfast was just OK. Our server was very good, though.

The good news is that they didn't require a 2-night stay like most B&B's do on the Cape. And, their price was a little more reasonable.

Sorry, I can't give an enthusiastic recommendation to the Colonial House.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
east haddam
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

Just geting to the front door to the building I got splinters on my hand, from holding onto the railing. When I entered the rm. I wanted to run, but I had paid for 2 days, and would of forfeited my money. The rug had burn marks from a droped iron. The furniture was old and the rm was dirty, I looked up and you can see the amount of dirt on the ceiling fan. The First thing I did was use my pets blankets to cover the bedspread. I used my dogs towels to cover the pillows. Dinner the waiter's shirt was filthy, the dinner was o.k. I would't let my dogs in that pool, it was green. Skipped breakfast nothing to brag about, I just wanted to go home. When I got home the first thing I did was take a shower and wash my hair. I used the steam cycle to wash my clothes, which I left my luggage open on my porch for a couple of days. My dogs went to the groomers for a thorough grooming the very next day.I will never ever go to a place relying on pictures on a web site.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Glastonbury, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

We stayed 2 nights with another couple, and felt like we were old friends with the staff. They did everything they could to make our stay comfortable, and Mac, the innkeeper, did an excellent job of planning our excursions to explore the area, as did Matthew, our waiter. Both were very entertaining in their own way, with a great sense of humor. We were pleasantly surprised by the more than adequate lighting in the room, since we are both readers. Breakfast and dinner entrees were included, with a wide menu selection.

Room Tip: Ask for a lower floor or the carriage house if stairs are a problem, since this is a 3 story colonia...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

My new wife and I recently enjoyed a very simple, but perfect wedding day on beautiful Cape Cod. We got married by a Justice of the Peace at her lovely 1777 home and then came a wonderful treat given to us by my Aunt and Uncle who live on the Cape, which was dinner and an overnight at the Colonial House Inn. They had often commented to us that they would go there for special dinners and had never been disappointed.
We arrived at about 5:00pm and were greeted warmly by Mac the Innkeeper who showed us to our room which was beautiful, spacious and very comfortable. Our party of four then enjoyed an absolutely delicious dinner in the part of the dining area overlooking the garden area. The dinner was perfect and the service very good as we lingered over with our wine, dessert and coffee. After my Aunt and Uncle departed my wife and I got into our jeans and took a leisurely stroll for about an hour through the very interesting streets near the inn and enjoyed the Cape Cod homes all of which were quite unique from the one next and many of them obviously dating back into the 1800 and early 1900 time frame. It was a great way to mellow after the wonderful Cape Cod inspired seafood dinner.
The next morning we had a terrific breakfast in the dining room featuring fresh baked goods from the Inn's kitchen and we had the pleasure of some great conversation with Mac who explained to us some of the history of the Inn and the surrounding area.
Our stay at the Colonial House Inn was a perfect way to celebrate our wedding and the start of our new life together. Thank you to Mac and the staff at the Inn.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Malcolm69, Owner at Colonial House Inn, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
Dear Glenn & Nancy,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write and letting everyone know of your visit on the occasion of your wedding. We all certainly enjoyed meeting both your Families and celebrating a most important day of your lives together. I so enjoyed seeing Nancy's Family singing together in our living room. It was just perfect. Looking forward to the next time you come to visit your parents Ernestine & Richard. My best wishes to Stay well to all in both your Families.
Mac
Innkeeper
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

We were looking for a pet friendly place on the Cape to escape from Boston. The Colonial House Inn was one of a very few places on the Cape that allowed us to bring our dog. The service was extremely professional. They have an indoor pool and Jacuzzi something that is rare to find for a Cape style Inn. Dinner was also included in the room reservation, so we sat down in their dining room in front of the fireplace and ordered stuffed haddock, which was amazing!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Colonial House Inn? Share your experiences!