“Always a wonderful time” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 512 Restaurants in Worcester
Cuisines: American, Irish, Italian
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
Worcester, Massachusetts, United States
“Always a wonderful time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

I love O'Connors. When it comes to good service, good food, and a good price, the typical modus operandi for Worcester is that you can have any 2 of those 3. O'Connors is the only restaurant in Worcester I've been to that consistently offers all three. It's the best family restaurant I can think of in the area, and most definitely gives you the best bang for your buck.

I live in the O'Connors neighborhood, walk there for dinner or drinks often, had my wedding rehearsal dinner there, and vote for them as #1 in Worcester every year for the Best of Worcester. It's nice to walk into a restaurant and see the owners behind the counter. Most of the really good places in Worcester are owned by "Restaurant groups", and are pricey. It's nice to see two people dedicate their lives to building one extremely reputable, dependable, wonderful restaurant. Their decades of hard work shows in every aspect of the restaurant.

I'll cover a few highlights since I'm reviewing my many trips there as opposed to one visit:

1) BEER and BOOZE - Tons of selection, and GREAT prices. They always have some good local microbrews on tap to satisfy my IPA fondness. 16 or 20... and they're all usually under 6 bucks a pour (for the 20). Their mixed drinks are always good - awesome Irish coffee. Once I was there for a very early lunch (like 11:00). and I asked the waiter if it was too early to get a beer. He disappeared and came back with Brendan, the owner. He made me repeat my question, at which time they both laughed. Brendan remarked "This is an Irish place. It's NEVER too early for a beer." Point taken. If you can't decide, they'll be happy to pour you a flight of a few beers.

2) FOOD - that menu is ALWAYS changing. But that's OK, because everything they do there is great. Awesome fresh seafood, fantastic Irish staples (like the Guinness Meat Pie and Bangers and Mash). Even their vegetarian options are great. And they have a butternut bisque that's so good, it'll make you slap your momma. It compared to other restaurants in Worcester, the prices really can't be beat for the quality you get.

3) DESERTS - 5 little words: Frozen Bailey's Irish Creme Pie. Nuff said.

4) SERVICE - Always great. You can typically tell a great restaurant by two things: 1) Are the owners working there? 2) Is there plenty of staff? O'Connors ALWAYS has the appropriate amount of staff. I've been to some really high end restaurants in Worcester where the bartender was also the lone server, and the service abysmal. Never had that problem here - O'Connors has the folks to get the job done.

5) PRICE - Can't be beat. It's FAIR. They don't gouge you, or mark things up unnecessarily. Their focus is on being a mainstay in the Worcester Restaurant scene... not to make a quick buck for a group of investors. As a result, I feel like their prices are the most reasonable of any comparable restaurant in Worcester.

6) THE BUILDING - The place is HUGE. They have a few function rooms, a VERY large bar, and a number of dining rooms in the area. The way they divide up the restaurant into different dining rooms means that you're never going to feel like just a table in a huge crowd - it really makes this HUGE restaurant feel very intimate. The building is large enough to accommodate their 100 car parking lot - but even still, I've seldom had a wait (I also eat at 7:00, at which time the place is starting to quiet down).

Overall, O'Connors is always a good time. I love Brendan and the folks over at O'Connors. The restaurant is in my neighborhood and was a part of the biggest event of my life... so they'll always hold a special place in my heart. I can't recommend this place enough.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Central Coast, Australia
“Delicious food and great atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

I visited here with my partner, son, parents-in-law and grandmother.

We had made a booking and got a table quickly. I love the restuarant's decor, as there are signs and posters hung all over the walls.

The only downside to this visit was that the service was fairly slow, it took us forty five minutes to get meals. I did hear that the waitress who was serving us was also taking care of a large party, which would slow things down, but it was a little frustrating to have the table next to us (with a different waitress) get seated after us, and were out of the restaurant just after our meals were brought to us.

The food was delicious though, and the serving sizes are quite generous - I had the fish and chips and could only eat half, but got to take home the other half. I would love to try the Irish bangers and mash next time.

Overall it was a really nice experience aside from the wait, but as we were with family, we were talking and didn't mind too much this time. I have my wedding rehearsal dinner booked here in two months so I am looking forward to another visit.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Leominster, MA
“Everything is great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

I've had lunch here 3 times in the last 8 days.
The menu is so large and varied- it's always hard to choose what to get.
But I've never been disappointed!
Everything is always great and the service is excellent!
Try the Black and Blue for a drink- 1/2 Guinness and 1/2 Wachusett Blueberry Ale.
Delicious!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Boston, Massachusetts
“A bit of the old sod”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

O'Connor's has been a successful Worcester staple for decades, which, in a very tough business, is a recommendation in itself. Brendan O'Connor ("Himself") has the charm and wit that you would expect of a true Irish publican. The menu is extensive, with offerings being added or removed regularly (although I think the classic Shepard's pie has always been on the menu).The servings are generous, filling, and fairly priced. The bar and beer selection are both great. The service is attentive and competent. I almost never have room to sample the desserts but they sound and look wonderful. This is not a fancy Parisian restaurant (which it doesn't pretend or try to be) but you can always count on a good, satisfying meal at a good price in an enjoyable atmosphere.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Worcester, Massachusetts
“Nice local ethnic pub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

Pub like menu that offers a large variety of Irish beers and decent fresh foods. A once every six month out to eat.

• Visited April 2014