“horrific stay” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Woburn
Goodyear, Arizona, United States
“horrific stay”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We chose a Hilton Hotel because of their fine reputation. What we got was a terrifying stay! We booked the room for three days for our first visit to the Boston area. First, the housekeeping was awful. The trash cans were not emptied, The ice bucket was left with melted ice water in it and the glasses were not changed to fresh ones after use. The toilet backed up twice. Then the truly terrible experience happened. Two hotel engineers came to the room to fix our toilet. About 30 minutes later, while we were in bed, the room door was being opened with a pass key and the police were trying to force their way into our room. Luckily we put the emergency lock in place. The three men outside continued to try to force the door open while loudly announcing that they were the police. I am a retired police officer and knew there was no reason for the police to be forcefully entering our room. I thought we might be experiencing a room invasion. When I made it to the door they continued to yell that they were looking for someone who was gaining entry into rooms illegally. I assured them we were there as guests and had been so for three days. That is when we recognized two of the men as the hotel engineers that had been in our room just 30 minutes prior! Seems the hotel told the police that our room should be empty and the two employees led them to our door. Neither of them realized that they had just been in our room. But for the emergency lock they would have been in the middle of our room before my feet had hit the floor. The entire incident lasted some time and we were made to feel like criminals while it was straightened out. That's when the hotel employees started minimizing their mistake. Later, two different on-duty managers acknowledged the hotels culpability in the incident . I was directed to speak to the General Manager some days later when he returned. I did. After looking in to my complaint he said, "it sure sounds like you had a terrible experience". Yes, we did. My wife cried and didn't sleep that night fearful of who else might force their way into our room. When a customer pays for a hotel room there is an expectation that their basic privacy will be respected. Because the Hilton hotel advised the police that our room should be empty ours was not. The hotel comped our stay but they were unwilling to consider any further suitable resolution to our horrifying stay. Some problems can be handled with a sincere apology (like bad house keeping and broken toilets). Other mistakes cannot be. They need to get privacy correct and they didn't. I would advise everyone to stay away from this hotel. You don't appear to be their priority.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Shrewsbury, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Stayed here for a wedding, super helpful staff, nice big room. Didn't use the pool this type but I've used at on a previous stay, it's nice. The location is great, close to 93 and so many places to eat. I don't plan to stay in Woburn again anytime soon but would recommend this hotel to anyone that needs to stay there.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Michael P, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Boston / Woburn, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
All of us here at the Hilton Boston\Woburn would like to thank you for writing on our tripadvisor page after your recent stay at our hotel. The comments from our guests are very important to us so that we can find out if we are achieving our goals in providing service to you or so that we can find out how to improve our service. We realize that you do have a choice of hotels and would like to thank you for choosing our Hilton to be your home away from home and hope you will continue to do so.
Pittsburgh, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Nothing Special. The staff was friendly. Great location. It was easy to find and convenient to highways. It's a nice hotel but overall it was just OK. We were there 3 days. Some issues with the room as well as checkout.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Long Island, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

We were very surprised by this hotel, we were there for a college parents weekend visit. This hotel is about 10 minutes from Boston and really worth the drive. The lobby is beautiful and so is the room. Although we didn't use it, there is a bar that looks very nice and intimate with cabanas. The bathroom could have used a better cleaning, seems hotels don't know they can spray bleach and any black around the grout will come off. That was my only complaint and I informed them.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Delray Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying here last week while conducting business in Woburn. The hotel is only about a 15-20 minute cab ride from Boston Logan (at 10:30 in the morning, during the week, so no rush hour). The front desk staff was friendly and welcoming, and called to double check that my room was ready for me -- the system said it was ready, but they called to double check. I thought that was a nice touch since I arrived several hours before check-in was scheduled to begin.

The hotel itself is easy to get around. The restaurant, lounge, business center, workout facility, and library are all centrally located or near the front lobby. Hilton Woburn also offers a local shuttle that will take you anywhere within a 5-mile radius. This proved convenient for me, and eliminated my need to rent a car since the office I was visiting was just a few miles from the hotel.

As for the room, I booked a double ($239/night). It was clean, came with a fridge, sizeable work desk, and nice-sized bathroom. It was comfortable and suited my needs perfectly. I ordered room service for dinner, and it arrived in the stated 30-minute time frame and was presented piping hot and tasted great – as good as I’d imagine it tasting if I had gone downstairs to the restaurant (I ordered the calamari and the flatbread).

On my morning of departure, the computers in the library were being used by other guests. The front desk staff kindly offered to print my boarding passes for me. Another nice touch.

Before heading to the airport, I went with a co-worker to her hotel (she stayed at the Crowne Plaza because it was cheaper). It reminded me of a typical Crowne Plaza, and more of a "motel" than a hotel. It reinforced my decision to stay at the Hilton, which is where I will stay on any future trip to Woburn.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

I don't know what the previous reviewer is talking about (moldy showers?). My boyfriend and I came on a bus trip this weekend & stayed @ the Hilton is Woburn. The rooms were modern and very clean. The bed was more comfortable than my own bed @ home. It was quiet and no one bothered us. They even have a shuttle service that takes you up to 5 miles from the hotel for free, so we were able to go out to dinner where we liked and not pay for a cab. The shuttle driver was a very nice young man, very professional, as was everyone else there. The only thing I didn't like was that you have to pay for WiFi - If I was them, I would fix that, bc it's a pain in the butt and almost everywhere offers free wifi these days. Other than that, it was all positive. When we come back next year, we will definitely be coming back to this hotel. (Also, the Shampoos and soaps are Peter Roth products and smell SO good!) =]. - Lyndsay

• Stayed October 2013
BridgewaterHGI, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Boston / Woburn, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Wylie, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Grout was moldy/missing in bathroom.

Could hear the baseball fans screaming one floor down and I have a 6AM flight.

Even though I am a Hilton Honors member I have to pay for internet?

Another reason to stay at a Marriot property.

Not happy.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
BridgewaterHGI, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Boston / Woburn, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your honest input on our guestroom comfort and appointment as well as our amenities. We will use your comments as we continue to evolve our guests' experience and hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in the area so we may better demonstrate our commitment to your satisfaction.

Been to Hilton Boston / Woburn? Share your experiences!