“A Hotel Superlative in its Mediocrity” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Double HHonors Points
Ranked #7 of 11 hotels in Woburn
Portland, Maine
“A Hotel Superlative in its Mediocrity”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We stayed here for a long weekend. On making our reservation, we weren't warned the place was under renovation. Safety tape, walkway barriers, and similar precautions for guests were missing on the way to the main entrance. Parking was ample and free. On-premises garage parking was also available. Hospitality at the front desk ranged from exceptional to inept, depending on the staff on duty. Although our room and its amenities were clean, the halls reeked of stale tobacco smoke. We've stayed at far better Hiltons than this one. We can only trust that this one renews its aspirations toward excellence after it completes its renovations.

Room Tip: Ask about rooms whose windows don't face the atrium or the swimming pool.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Adam R, Director of Sales at Hilton Boston / Woburn, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and sharing feedback on your experience. We are sorry you were not informed of our renovations at the time of booking and we will work with our team to ensure our guests are aware of our current state ahead of time. We apologize for any inconvenience our construction caused at the time of your stay and hope our friendly and welcoming staff were able to compensate for the discomfort.

I am happy to inform you that our renovations are now complete and the scaffolding and barriers that once covered the front exterior of the building have been removed.

We appreciate your input and hope you will stay with us again and experience our newly renovated hotel should you return to our area in the future.

Adam J. Robitaille
Director, Sales and Marketing

364 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Trophy Club
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Everything about the hotel was nice. It was clean, the staff was great and the bar staff was fun to be around. The hotel front desk was efficient and friendly. They did a nice job greeting me when I was going in and out of the hotel, they also had hot chocolate in the lobby that was a nice surprise.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I travel a lot on business, and recently stayed here, a great place. This Hotel is pretty, kept immaculately, the staff is friendly and out-going, caring for their guests and the rooms are comfortable, well kept and clean.
The rates are reasonable, the breakfast buffet, although just a bit pricier than I would have imagined, has an omelet chef and food is great.
With so many other places I've stayed recently a disappointment, I would happily stay here again.
Keep on going with what you are doing here!

Room Tip: Ask for your balcony room overlooking the pool!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Miss P in wander-land
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel at least 6-7 times in the last 3 months.( I know!!)Our son attends the Boston Conservatory in Boston so when we go to visit him or we have any business in Boston we love to stay in this hotel The rooms are very clean, spacious and the staff are very very helpful. This is an incredibly nice hotel for the price. It is so comfortable and we don't have a single complaint. We have booked through Travelocity in the past but for the most recent stays we decided to call the hotel directly. In fact, it was a better deal with more flexibility. Also - some guests who have the HHonors cards can definitely take advantage of free wifi AND complimentary breakfast buffet. This is no prepackaged continental ho-hum breakfast. They are made-to-order omelettes, yogurts, potatoes, breads, juices, etc. Truly a delicious breakfast. The pool is also a plus since my little one loves to swim. It can be warmer than the temperature they keep it at but it's not terrible. Fresh clean towels are always provided. I give this hotel all my stars for excellent service, cleanliness, perks, and comfort.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors best.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for one night to avoid traveling a couple hours during a snowstorm. I did not check reviews before booking this hotel and I have to admit I was a little surprised by the negative comments. Our stay was good, but that being said, I have certainly had better visits to Hilton facilities. All things considered, I did not expect a world-class stay at a hotel located on the outskirts of Boston. We stayed here as a matter of convenience and I imagine this hotel gets mostly business customers and folks like us ... who are in the area and needed a convenient place to stay but did not want the hassle or expense of a downtown hotel. So, for those expecting all the luxury of a destination hotel, I suggest you look closer to the center of Boston.

We stayed on the executive floor and found, to our disappointment, that the executive lounge is closed on weekends. So, there really was no advantage at all to having a room on this floor. Our room faced the outside of the hotel, which overlooked a light industrial / commercial area which had all the visual appeal of a rooftop. Considering that the hotel seemed to be 80% empty and that the lounge was closed, I see no reason why we were given the particular room we were assigned. The rooms facing the inside of the facility have balconies beneath the glass roof. They seem much nicer and most appeared to be empty during our stay. I blame myself for not asking to be moved, but at the same time I wonder why they don't situate gold members in the better available rooms automatically.

Our room interior was fine. It was about average for a full service Hilton. The bed was large, comfortable, and was equipped with many pillows. The bathroom was spacious and clean. I have no complaints about the room itself, although the hallway carpets are well worn and showing their age.

The fitness facility was nice. It had all the equipment we could have asked for and seemed well-maintained and clean. Although we didn't use the pool, it does seem to be nice. It's right under the glass roof and close to the bar, so the view is very attractive and if you want bar service, it's very convenient. One disadvantage is that, when there are a lot of kids, the noise tends to reverberate up along the glass ceiling to the rooms. So, the noise level might be better in the rooms located a little farther away from the pool.

The breakfast buffet was decent, with a good variety of hot and cold options and an omelette station. I particularly liked the fresh muffins.

The staff were pleasant, courteous, and helpful. We had a couple head-scratching moments, however, as we discovered they had forgotten to issue us breakfast tickets. It was not a problem after a simple and quick phone call corrected the mistake. Also, we got a phone call in the morning asking us if we planned to check out that morning or the following morning. Considering it was still 90 minutes prior to checkout time and we clearly were staying only one night, I was a little confused as to why a phone call was needed. All in all, it was a minor confusing moment.

Lastly, the lobby bar is a nice place to have a drink in the evening. The facility was all but desserted the night we stayed, so it was relaxing and we had a chance to chat with the bartender a bit. I thought the wine prices were a bit high though. A glass of J. Lohr cabernet will set you back $12. Considering you can get a bottle of this wine for about $14 in a liquor store, I figure that markup is about 350% (more with tip). Sure, I expect to pay for atmosphere and service, but that seemed a little steep to me.

All told, I didn't have any major problems with this hotel. It pretty much met my expectations and we had a pleasant night.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the inside have balconies, but be careful of noise from the pool area.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Basil B, General Manager at Hilton Boston / Woburn, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Jay,

Thank you for sharing this detailed account of your recent stay with us. We always appreciate hearing from our guests as new perspectives help us to constantly make necessary changes to best meet and exceed your expectations. We are glad to hear we were able to meet your needs while in town and we will share your comments with our team so we may continue to do so moving forward. We hope you will stay with us again the next time travel brings you to our area as we would love to have you back.

Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the Woburn Hilton for a sports tournament the weekend of Veterans Day. We came in early and our entire stay lasted 5 days.Of the 5 days there was only 1 day that we received clean towels, shampoo and basic necessities like TOILET paper despite calling the front desk several times asking for it. The staff made it seem as of a basic request like this was putting them out. There was no apologies whatsoever.

On the 2nd day housekeeping left the door of our hotel room open !!!!

This was a horrible hotel and I would NOT recommend staying here. You will regret it !!! When you take a hot shower the fire alarm is right outside of the bathroom so apparently the steam sets off THE FIRE ALARM !!!!!!!' The piercing sound woke everyone up When the front desk called that they got notice that the fire alarm went off they were annoyed. There was no-concern about safety nor did they mention that we should be aware that the steam from the bathrooms would set off the fire alarm as an FYI. Since they did not even inquire if everyone was safe and all right - I assume it is common practice for a fire alarm to go off here.

We ordered room service one night and realized that we accidentally forgot to return a knife. After the 2nd day that Housekeeping left the knife on the floor -we wanted to see how long it would take them to pick up the knife so we purposely left it on the floor as a test. They never picked up the knife by the time we checked out.

The maid service did not CLEAN the room - did not empty the trashcans,we did not get fresh towels despite calling guest services for fresh towels 4x. We were not provided shampoo or conditioner.Again when I would call the front desk and ask to speak to the GM Basil ?? the front desk said he was conveniently never around. I will be calling Hilton Corporate about this stay,

I have stayed at several Hilton's and have never experienced such horrible and rude customer service. I would never stay at this hotel again I would rather swallow nails.

MGV

• Stayed November 2012
Basil B, General Manager at Hilton Boston / Woburn, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
We are sorry that you had a disappointing experience during your stay with us. At Hilton, we always aim to ensure every guest feels cared for, valued and respected and we understand this was not your impression. Your feedback on our front desk and housekeeping staff will help us to better deliver our brand promise and award winning hospitality you expect and deserve when staying with us. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. The missteps made by our housekeeping team and the attitude of our service staff will be dealt with appropriately and all staff will be reminded of how important their interactions with guests truly are. I welcome any additional feedback you would like to share and look forward to speaking with you personally at your convenience. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider staying with us again so we might show you the quality stay you deserve.

Thank you and my continued apologies,
Basil B
gm491@columbiasussex.com
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Arrived to find zero towels in our room. Normally not a big deal but when you arrive late and need a shower you don't want to deal with front desk. We waited 30 minutes to call back and see where they were and they just apologized and sent someone else. The next day the maid left garbage strewn about the room and left behind dirty towels. No bellman there to help with bags. Construction going on so it is noisy. A waste of Hilton Honor points. Stay in nearby Salem if you can afford the extra time.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Basil B, General Manager at Hilton Boston / Woburn, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Thank you for your honest feedback on your recent stay with us. Please accept our apology for the state of your room upon arrival and for the subpar service you received from our housekeeping staff. I have shared your comments with our team as a reminder of how important our attention to detail is and hope to display a higher level of value and customer service moving forward. I hope that if your travels bring you back to the area, you will consider staying with us again so we can show you our improvements.

Basil

Been to Hilton Boston / Woburn? Share your experiences!