“High Hopes Smashed” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Joe's American Bar & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 118 Restaurants in Woburn
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Chowder, Hamburgers, Grill
Good for: Entertaining clients, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Washington
Description: Joe's American Bar & Grill was opened back in 1984. The concept is simple...serve fresh, homemade traditional American food at a reasonable price without compromising quality. We strive to have an elegant, yet casual feel that is welcoming to all.
Chester, Canada
“High Hopes Smashed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I had high hopes of Joe's. It was an inviting atmosphere and the staff seemed pleasant and attentive.
However, it has to be said that the food disappointed. It was fairly busy when we got the as it was father's day, but the staff seemed not to be flustered and coping well.
We ordered appetizers, which appeared pretty quick and were fairly good. However the main meal came out well before we had finished the appetizer and they seemed to be in a hurry to whip away that part of the meal as soon as possible.
The main meal was adequate, but unimaginative and lacking in sides. For instance, the fish and chips was just that with a bowl of Tartare sauce. It seemed to be that you had to order your main meat and potatoes and then add on, and of course pay for any sides you wanted.
If anything the staff were a little too attentive, perhaps trying to move us too quickly.
I can only say that it was average fare and not anywhere for a meal to blow you away or deliver for a special occasion.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Gary S, Manager at Joe's American Bar & Grill, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Peter,

While I am glad you were happy with your service, I am sad that your expectations in the food department were not up to par. We strive to leave every guest we have raving about how fantastic their total experience was! I can assure you that we do not try to give anyone the impression that we are trying to rush them out, and that is a point I will make sure to reiterate with my entire staff. Often in this business we are always trying to keep our guests from waiting too long for their meals, that we can forget that on special occasions many guests like to enjoy the company of their friends and family. I certainly hope that when you are back in this area that you will choose to dine with us again.

Milton, Vermont
“The Mac and Cheese is awsome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

Our waitress was Angelee and she REMEMBERED us from last year. LOVE HER. Kelly F waited on us the day before Mothers Day and she was a delight as well. The food is DELICIOUS and it feels so comfortable in the lounge or the dining room. WE WILL BE BACK JUNE 14th ;-)

Visited May 2014
Angelee and Kelly were both so thrilled to see you mentioned them in your fantastic review! Thank you so much for taking a moment to share your great experience with the Trip Advisor community, our online reputation means a lot to me and I am glad your enjoyed yourself. We hope to see you again when you are down in the area.

Denton, Texas, United States
“Nice Restaurant, and Great Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

When I first drove up to Joe's my son said it would be a noisy sports bar and if I wanted quiet this wasn't the place. The good news is that yes they do have a sports bar on one side with the widescreen television and noise but they also have a very nice dining room that is comfortable yet elegant and has a quiet atmosphere. The menu is varied and has some nice selections. They say they are famous for hamburgers and they may be but they have many other non sandwich entrees. The server was attentive and very helpful. The price for this meal may have been the lowest for the food offered on this particular trip. The food quality was very good. This is a great place to dine if you are in this area.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Gary S, Manager at Joe's American Bar & Grill, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Thanks so much for visiting and taking a moment to write such a nice review about your experience! I certainly hope that next time you are up in the area you will stop by again.

Seattle, Washington
“Decent meal, friendly service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

The meal was as you might expect at a casual-dining, mass-appeal chain restaurant. The service was friendly and attentive, and the food decent but a bit inconsistent. I had the ahi tuna salad. The ahi tuna itself actually was surprisingly good, with an nicely-done aoli preparation. The field greens with it were just so-so, with under-ripe and not very tasty avocado a bit of a disappointment.

The atmosphere is pleasant, and there is ample parking.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
I would like to start out by thanking you for taking the time to review your experience at Joe's. I always enjoy reading about what people think of the time they spent visiting with us. While I am certainly glad that we left a positive impression with you overall, I am disappointed to hear that your salad was not up to par. This is certainly something I am glad you brought to my attention and I will certainly use this information with my kitchen manager to ensure we are using only the best ingredients. I wish we had fabulous famers markets like you have out in Seattle (Ballard) being one of my favorites and of course down on the ocean your world famous Pike's Place. I hope that you will certainly visit with me again when your travels take you to the east coast in the future.

Boston, Massachusetts
“Hate to do this....but when you find stuff in your food!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

It was during school vacation week (this past Apr) and brought my son to work with me for the day. Thought we'd go to Joe's in Woburn and meet my dad for lunch.

Service was good and food OK, but unfortunately found a metal pipe the lenght of two tooth-picks and just as thin... in my cole-slaw.

I didn't eat it, but passed it around and both my son and dad were speechless.

The waitress brought it to the manager who in-turn brought it to the kitchen,

The kitchen denied it ever came from them...so how the heck did it get into the food????

The manager took the ~$10 off the bill for the sandwich and I just added that to the tip for the waitress.

Would like to hear someone else's thoughts...did the restaurant do enough??? What if I ate it, or worse yet...it was in my son's food and he could have eaten it.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Shawn,

I would like to apologize that we left you with the feeling that we didn't do everything we could have done to make up for our mistake. I would like to ensure you that it was not our intent to make you feel as if the kitchen was denying culpability for the object being in your cole slaw. We actually spent the better part of the week trying to figure out if it had come from a piece of our cooking equipment to ensure that everything is working safely. When we couldn't we contacted the vendor who we purchase our produce from to find out if it had come from them. We still haven't heard back, but have found nothing else like it. It was certainly a fluke accident on our part and we apologize it happened to you.