“Not bad, but nothing special” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Winthrop
Columbus, Ohio
“Not bad, but nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I stayed here one night because I had to catch an early morning flight from Boston. The good points of the hotel are that it seemed clean, it was within walking distance of the beach, and it seemed like a nice neighborhood that you can walk around in safely.

The negative points was that it seemed very "bare bones;" there really weren't very many amenities there other than the kitchenette. There wasn't a restaurant or much available at the hotel, though you could walk to one. I chose this hotel because of the free shuttle service, but the shuttle only runs at certain times. I ended up waiting almost an extra hour on the day of check-in so I could take the shuttle to avoid paying cab fare. Also, in the morning, the shuttle driver was late, and some people were very anxious because they had early flights. I allowed myself plenty of time so I was not stressed by this, but that wasn't the case for most of the other people who were waiting on the shuttle that morning.

Bottom line: It wasn't terrible, but wasn't great. Would I stay again? I wouldn't rule it out completely, but I would very likely look for another place first.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Stoughton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

This hotel is very convenient to Logan airport, yet it is in a neighborhood with homes and businesses. The ocean, a playground, and restaurants are within walking distance, but if you happen to have a car, the parking is free. The prices are very reasonable, and the kitchen is equipped so that you can prepare your own meals or reheat leftovers if you want to save money. The staff is very friendly, and the only reason I give it four rather than five is that, since it is an extended stay hotel, housekeeping is done only once a week, and if you want fresh towels more often, there is a fee. I stayed with my sister-in-law for two nights, and we had enough towels for that length of time. We had a corner room, with the window in the ceiling, and hardwood floors. I was completely satisfied, especially considering the cost.

Room Tip: We had a corner room by the elevator on the third floor, and it was very quiet. If it matters to yo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Fredonia, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I should have listened to other reviewers and stayed away! The bathroom did have mold - no coffee for the coffee maker - the bed was shabby - the room appeared clean BUT beware if you have to move the nightstand........there was a ton of dirt and dust there and on lamp shades. The neighborhood was just OK but not enough parking for guests so we had to park on the street. The walls are paper thin....could hear everything from other rooms AND all that was going on in the lobby since our room was on the first floor near the staircase. I swear I heard someone come in to lobby at 2 a.m. with a dog and their was dog running around. For the same price get a room with more amenities and comfort. STAY AWAY!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Vail, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Travelling to New England with my mom and husband. Ages l57,64 and 80, early 60's and late 70's. We stayed here one night as our flight came in about 5 pm and we did not want to try and get to our vacation rental at night. Also price was about 1/3 of anything in Boston, yet you are only a short distance away and they have the free airport shuttle.

The reason I five this 4 stars is that the service was wonderful. Especially the 2 shuttle drivers to and from the airport (we rented a car the next day). Very friendly, very efficient, lots of laughter and good information about the are. Just nice, friendly, great ladies. Front desk got us a cab that night in about 2 seconds. This is a suburban area so we were quite surprised by that. You can walk to the ocean and a great view of the bay in just a couple blocks and same for local eateries, but we got a cab because my mom has a bad back.

The room was fine, my mom said the sofa bed was incredibly comfortable, but there are a couple odd things about the layout. 1. the bathroom is in the master bedroom so anyone sleeping in the living room on the sofa bed has to go thru the master bedroom. 2nd there is no windows in the master, so they put hole high up in the wall. Only problem is if you go to sleep before the person watching TV in the living room does, you have light and hear every noise from the TV. According to the pictures there are 2 types of rooms, so I would ask for teh one with the complete kitchen and maybe you won't have this problem. But beds were comfortable, everything was newly remodeled and very, very clean.

Room Tip: Choose the room with the full kitchen. And ask about the hole in the wall between the living room a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

First, bring your own coffee! There was no coffee in the rooms with the coffee makers as there has been at other Suburban Extended Stays...or in the lobby.
My friend was cold and there was no heat turned on, so was given extra blankets.
The website had more hours for airport shuttle than what was at the desk (4am-11am). We didn't need to be at airport until after checkout (noon), but the latest was given was 10:30am shuttle, so this was inconveint for us.
We stayed here before our Caravan Fall Tour, but stayed at the Rodeway Inn near airport on our return, they ran their shuttles most of the day and it was great!

Webster, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

My friend and I went to an event in Boston this past weekend. We had made plans with others that completely fell through. Determined to have a great time regardless, we set off at 4pm in search of a hotel. We combed through a few locations that, over the phone, agreed to hold a room for us, but completely went back on it once we got there - saying that they were full, and had just booked their last room. Then, by chance, we found the Suburban and spoke to Candace. We were completely lost trying to get there, and she talked us through the directions to get to the hotel, held a room for us by taking our information over the phone, and then helped us once we got to the hotel. Mind you, at this point... I was stressing out beyond belief. She got us checked in, and then even helped us by booking a cheap cab ride both to and from the event, and asked me where my friend was once we got back, (he was still just outside), but she was so kind, considerate, and caring, and wanted to make sure we were both safe. It truly made our night, so if you're looking for a reasonable place to stay near Boston with GREAT service and a caring concierge, then you're truly in luck, The rooms were spacious and comfortable, clean, and well accommodating, even if it was only for one night, though I would have gladly stayed longer!

Room Tip: Should you happen to meet her; just ask Candace what she would recommend.
Augusta, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Being a seasoned traveler I am come to realize that people can help overcome the imperfections of expectations of accommodations. The suburban is not perfect but the people working there make up for the little things. It's like going to visit family your glad to be there and it wold be rude to expect perfection. I'm a repeat guest for many reasons. Wintrop is a sweet little sea side town with evidence of deep roots still intact. Don't be scared away by the few empty storefronts near bye. I have not experienced anything thing that has made me feel unsafe. The convience to public transportation to Boston is a great. A short walk to a beautiful beach and great resturants. Two Italian resturant near bye is as good as eating in the north end without the price. The hi-tide diner is a a true find. Should be featured on the food network. Awesome food and five minute walk from the hotel.

Yes the furniture could use some cleaning and mattress are not that comfortable but overall it is very clean. Great place to go with friends to enjoy the city without the high cost of downtown.
The staff could not be friendlier and most have grown up in the neighborhood. I have payed about the same price to stay in nicer places but was not treated as well. If you want an experience of being in a sweet old seaside neighborhood outside boston this is your place. True travelers will recognize this place for the true gem it is.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Suburban Extended Stay Winthrop? Share your experiences!