I felt compelled to write this because, I have to admit, after reading all of the other reviews I felt like I stayed at an entirely different place than the rest of these people. We were in town for a wedding and looking for a place to stay in the area - a lot of other places were booked. Everything in the Berkshires is pricey during foliage season, and this place was not an exception. Overall, I've have definitely shelled out more than this for a room stay before, so I'm not a cheap person. I just don't think this place was worth the money.
Front desk staff was totally indifferent both checking in and checking out. Breakfast was uninspired for a bed-and-breakfast. It was more on par with what you'd get at something like a Hampton Inn (but Hamptons are a lot cheaper). There was also a sign at breakfast asking for tips, which just seemed tacky and something that I've never experienced at a bed-and-breakfast. You also have to sign up for your 1/2-hour breakfast time slot when you check in. As a result of the staggered times, it is just you (and whoever else you are with) eating in this big room with all these other empty tables around you. It just feels odd. We were almost going to ditch breakfast the second morning we were here and just grab coffee in Williamstown. Apparently according to the staff at breakfast, a few other parties didn't show up that morning, so we weren't the only ones thinking that.
The room is a bit over-the-top for me with all the crazy decor, but I could see someone like my parents liking it. The room was also really dark, even with all their dimmers turned up. We had to open the blinds during the day to have enough light getting ready, etc. But when you open all your blinds, you are essentially looking at their parking lot.
The one positive that I have to say is this place was really clean. With all those surfaces in the rooms, desks and shelves and draperies and lamps and crazy Victorian statues (there's a lot of stuff in there), there wasn't any dust at all. Bathroom was super clean too. So kudos to their housekeeping staff.
- Also Known As:
- 1896 House - Barnside Hotel Williamstown
- 1896 House - Barnside Hotel
- 1896 Hotel Country
- 1896 Motel Country
- Country Inn Williamstown
- Williamstown Country Inn
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enchanting 3 building property on a brook and pond. Variety of luxury suites with a candlelight gourmet breakfast and immaculate and charming traditional motel rooms with a hot breakfast buffet. Many bed configurations and some connecting rooms. Some dual whirlpool tubs, fireplaces, canopy beds, and parlor stoves. Seasonal heated pool. Free WiFi and business center. Very popular ‘6 House Pub on site. Gourmet restaurant adjacent. Free parking. All non-smoking. Accessible room. One 3 Room Apartment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Venere, Agoda, Fareportal and Priceline so you can book your 1896 House - Barnside Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.