“Nice place for a drink, food is hit or miss,” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #16 of 41 Restaurants in Williamstown
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Main Street
Description: Located in scenic Williamstown, in the heart of the Berkshires, Hops and Vines features both casual and formal dining rooms. The “Hops” beer garden provides a classic beer garden experience with an approachable, casual environment perfect for family style seating or group dining. The “Vines” Brasserie is a formal dining room with comfortable, elegant seating and top level service. Hops & Vines offers modern takes on comfort food with exciting twists on classically inspired French Brasserie Cuisine in a New American Menu. Complementing our cuisine – is a full bar, specialty cocktails, craft beers on draught and a discerning wine list. For a one of a kind dining experience, step in to our Chef’s Tasting Room and dine at our Chef’s Table where Executive Chef, Robert Beuth creates unique pairings of food and wine.
Williamstown
“Nice place for a drink, food is hit or miss,”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We have been there a few times and the tap selection is always interesting. Dinners are usually good but a burger is overly fancy and not that great. Also, watch out for the apple crisp, it was so salty that it was unpleasant to try to eat. I wanted to look over my shoulder to see if someone was playing a joke on us.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“A great find, great food, great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

We were looking for an early dinner/late lunch. It seems that 4-4:30 is too late/too early. We choose this resturant because the serve dinner at 5pm, others were 5:30.
We were seated at 4:30..LOL.
Waiter was Shasa, who is orginally from Rusia, and he appeared whenever needed. Two Dinners had Salmon and said it was great. I decided on having two Appetizers, Mussels with Fries and also Bratwurst. They were more than I could eat. I enjoyed the Brat, it was very good, perhaps not quite as good as a Road America Brat. But the Mussels were outstanding. I ate just a few of the fries and shared them.
We enjoyed the meal and the atmosphere.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York
“Poor service and inconsistent food. A true kitchen nightmare but so bad it is funny.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I had previously eaten at this restaurant this past Spring and it was fine. This Saturday's meal was like one of those Gordon Ramsay disaster shows. It was a disaster from after appetizers through dessert and billing-actually through two days later when I found that they had billed my card more than double the cost of the meal.
We waited a bit for our menus, but drink service and the appetizers were fine (though the size of the different salads varied greatly for some reason). We had waited some 20-25 minutes for our main courses when the waiter appeared and said that the main course that two of us had chosen (fried chicken) was unavailable. I asked if the other chicken dish, a roasted chicken, was available and was told that it was as it was a "different preparation". Another 15 to 20 minutes passed with us sitting there waiting when the waiter approached and apologized that the roasted chicken dish was unavailable. I chose another dish, a lamb kabob and the waiter said it would be on the house. After another 10 minutes our meals arrived. Mine was not a kabob at all, but two ground lamb patties on a bed of hummus. It was, despite being named and described incorrectly, good. Unfortunately, the main courses of my daughter and her friend had ordered were not. It appeared that they had been left to sit through all of the "unavailable chicken" delay and then microwaved or reheated. My daughter's dish, the mushroom risotto, was lukewarm in some places and cool in others and was marred by a stem of some sort that appeared in the meal. It was, simply put, gross. Her friend's, macaroni and cheese, was part hot and part cold and was inedible, with liquid pooled at the bottom.
At about this time we noticed a commotion at a table next to us and the couple there indicated to the waiter that they had been sitting for a long time and had not even received bread. And then the couple next to them complained that they had been waiting for their food for an hour and a half. The second couple's meal then came, the appetizer and lamb kabob (the gentleman inquired as to whether it was in fact a kabob) at the same time and then after a bit the roasted chicken dish (which I had been told was unavailable, as had been the woman at the next table as she expressed displeasure only to be told by the waiter that the other order had been placed earlier-though why it arrived now nearly a half-hour minutes after I had been told it was unavailable remains a mystery.)

Then we tried to order dessert. I say tried because it took four requests and 15 minutes for a dessert menu to appear and it did only after my daughter finally stood up and asked the fourth time for it. (The waiter tried to tell us that the manager had said she would take care of it. He would try to throw her under the bus again later in the evening.) We ordered dessert and lo and behold one of the three was the wrong item, a sundae rather than mousse. Rather than face another half hour of delay I told him I would take it. After a few bites I heard the people at the table behind us explain to the waiter that they had not ordered mousse-it turned out that they had gotten my mousse and I their sundae. (The desserts were the best part of the meal.)
But it gets even worse. At this point the couple next to us was clearly upset about the food, the delays and the nonsense with the "unavailable" roasted chicken and then our bills came and I had been billed for not only the lamb which was to have been comped, but the chicken. The couple next to us had similar billing issues. The manager came to apologize for the problem and offered to have us again but my sense was that she did not know how much of a disaster it really had been-for us or the other diners.

After an extended period we got the corrected bill and paid it, but my credit card was not returned to me. It turned out that the family behind us had my card, which the waiter blamed on the manager (I am not sure why).

It was raining and I went to get the car and the manager spoke to my daughter about coming back; my daughter's response was simply this: "never". When they left the other couple was still complaining to the manager, as they should have been.

Alas, the problems did not end there, as on Monday I reviewed my Amex bill and saw that I had been billed more than twice the cost of the meal that I had signed for. I called the manager and she said that she would take care of it and contact the credit card company. I later received a message from her asking for my address so she could send a check for the difference. I responded on her voice mail that I didn't understand why they just couldn't issue a credit, but that I thought that the appropriate thing to do would be to comp us and the couple at the table next to us in any event. I have not heard back.
I think that the manager meant well, but that she had no idea about just how bad the service and the food were for us or the other diners that evening.
It would make a great sitcom episode and I am glad that my daughter and her friend, while frustrated and disappointed, appreciate that sometimes things are so bad that you can only laugh. Which is what I do when I tell this story to friends and what I am doing as I write this review.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Riverside
“For that special dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Hops and Vines is a beautiful restaurant with great food. It is a little bit of everything with mess tables in one part, outside dining and a beautiful room for that special meal. You can go often or you can go for that special occasion.

Visited August 2012
Florida, Massachusetts, United States
“New favorite spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

So my first experience last year, I wasn't super impressed. I returned last evening. I'm GLAD I did. I absolutely LOVE the atmosphere. I had dinner in the Hops side. There were 16 beers on draft and the wine selection was wonderful. I started off with the mussels appetizer that was to die for. Followed by mac and cheese and the pan seared Salmon. All was wonderful. After dinner we were able to enjoy the wonderful outdoor area. Will return.

• Visited September 2012