“food is good” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Weymouth, Massachusetts, United States
“food is good”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Place is dirty. It smelled when you walked in. The wood on the chairs was sticky and dirty. The carpeting needed to be replaced. thewindows filthy.everything needed a good cleaning. I was just imagining what the kitchen looked like..

Visited October 2012

Boston, Massachusetts
“Unhappy Thanksgiving Ripoff....Never Again!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Last Thanksgiving my daughter and I were on our own, so we thought we'd enjoy a Thanksgiving meal at a local restaurant. Unfortunately, there was not much open, so we chose the Hearth n' Kettle in Weymouth, MA. Turns out it was a spiders web, waiting for desperate hungry customers. We had to wait, which was to be expected, so we had a chance to look at the menu which was available at the hosts station and decide what we might order and after awhile we were called to our table. We ordered drinks and continued to look at the menu to make our choices, but the waitress upon delivering our drinks pulled the old switcharoo, she said.."You know, we are not using that menu today, we are using the special thanksgiving menu". Well, my joy of having a nice meal with my daughter was turned to despair as I took a look at the outrageous prices for the minimal selections available, Turkey, or Prime Rib. To my horror, each meal was at least $30, depression set in and now I was stuck. So I said, well, I'm here, I'll put on a poker face and pend every dime I have so that I won't disappoint my daughter. Well, after a long wait our plates arrived, our meals consisted of 2 thin slices of turkey, 2 ice-cream scoop size portions of mashed, stuffing and cranberry sauce. Desert was a joke, a tiny slice of pumpkin pie the size of a tortilla chip. We would have had more food buying a happy meal across the street at McDonalds or a Swanson Dinner! I cannot believe that the management of Hearth n' Kettle would allow this con job, sucking you in with a regular menu and then...BAM!..slamming you with the outrageously priced joke of a Thanksgiving meal...needless to say this was the most Unhappy Thanksgiving I have ever experienced. And on top of everything the restaurant was so noisy my daughter and I could not hold a conversation without yelling...what a joy!...NOT!....What a Turkey!...NEVER AGAIN!!..

• Visited November 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“Hearth 'n Kettle Part Deux?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We had gone to Hearth 'n Kettle in Hyannis on a staycation back in December. So when I found out there was one close to where we lived, I decided to treat the family on Saturday to a hearty meal. The only thing that kept me from giving them a 4-rating is the service. The food was great, as usual. But our waitress was a little slow, and in some instances, would completely disappear. I ordered the fisherman's platter and she forgot to bring tartar sauce. No biggie! Until I asked for it. I had to wait almost 10 minutes before I got it. My husband ordered a house salad with ranch dressing and the dressing had been watered down. We ordered deserts, which mainly consisted of samplers of larger deserts. They also took 10-15 minutes. They were mostly ice cream! As I said, they would have gotten 4 stars, but the slowness issue is what did it for me...and it was not packed with people either! We would probably go back, but not too soon, and may opt to drive to Hyannis just for the whole experience and better service.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Braintree
“freezing cold”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

The dining room facilities are always cold in the morning
I have explained myself numerous times to the staff, while keeping my coat and hat on
They blame the manager who comes in late
My elderly mother, and her grandkids have convinced me not to come back
At these prices you got a lot of nerve not fixing the heat
jim

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Weymouth, Massachusetts
“Great comfort food, but the service is lacking”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

This may be a repeat review, however just wanted to talk about the complete fall in service at the Hearth 'n Kettle. My husband and I are residents in Weymouth, and regularly visit here for dinner during the week. However the past few visits, the service has been very disappointing and slow. While the food is always great, its so frustrating to have bad service. It has made our choice to return tougher and tougher. For the most part, we sit at the bar or at least on that side of the restaurant, because normally its not super busy. However, after having to wait 25min for soda, and then an additional 20min to give our order (like our visit on Monday) we probably won't return for a while.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere