“Old Hampton Inn” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Westport
formerly from Massachusetts
“Old Hampton Inn”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2008

We stayed at this hotel for the location. There are not many hotels in the area to choose from. The staff was very friendly and the breakfast in the AM was very good. The problem was with the room itself. It was shabby. The rooms desperately need to be remodeled. The furniture looked like it was ready for the dump. The room had a strong smell of carpet powder. Between the carpet powder and the dust, my husband was developing allergy problems. We stay at a lot of hotels and prefer hotels that have windows that can open, the windows here do not open so the dusty room with its odor just festers. We would never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2007

The motel is right next to I195 exit 9 easy to find. My room was in need of updating, old desk and cupboard, plus a recliner that reclined all the way back to the floor! The bed and linens were excellent, so comfortable and new! I had lovely view of the ocean from my window worth asking for. Staff very helpful, free parking, pool on the way, the worlds smallest gym! Breakfast was simple but appreciated. I believe this is the best place to stay in Westport if you have to visit!

• Liked — easy access, free internet, great bed
  • Disliked — carpets in room, old furniture
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2007

We were family of 4, stayed one night. Selected this hotel because of the price ($108), the breakfast and proximity to UMass in Dartmouth, MA.

Pros:
Very nice basic room with cozy comfy king bed, lots of pillows, and small sofabed. Room had fridge, but no microwave. (There is microwave in lobby that you can use.) Very clean. Shower massage head in bathroom. Front desk people were very nice. Breakfast had adequate selections - the hot special that day was a 1/2 bagel sprinkled with scrambled egg bits, bacon bits, and cheese. Tea and coffee is available all day - a nice benefit. We ate dinner at the restaurant next door which has excellent food and great service. Hotel is located right next to the highway, but we did not experience any problems with noise while we were there.

Cons:
No pool, but there is a sauna, whirlpool and fitness room. The breakfast has no low sugar/low fat /low carb options other than cereal or toast and bananas/apples. There was yogurt, but it was the regular kind with fat and sugar added. It would be helpful to those of us on special diets if they had hard boiled eggs or Light 'n Lively yogurt or cottage cheese.

• Liked — Cleanliness. Also, the lady who takes care of the breakfast area does a heck of a job keeping it clean and replenished. Kudos to her!
  • Disliked — Breakfast selections -
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Oviedo, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2007

This location was typical of Hampton Inn hotels, very clean, attentive staff, great rates, and the complimentary breakfast including one hot breakfast item. Also, wine & cheese in the evenings Mon-Thu. We stayed 7 nights while visiting our son who lives in New Bedford. There is a pc with internet access in the lobby with a printer. Location is very convenient to I195 with access to Cape Cod, Fall River, New Bedford.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Mechanicsville, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2006

This is an older Hampton Inn that hasn't been renovated. It sits on the outskirts of Westport but there isn't anything around it. The hotel seemed damp and cold. Glad we only stayed one night. I wouldn't stay here again.

Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2006

My husband and i actually live in the Boston area of Massachusetts and my husband has family from New York who come up to visit us every once in awhile. We also have a lot of family in westport massachusetts so we told them to stay at the hampton inn in westport that way they would be close to my husbands father who lives in westport and only about an hour away from the city of boston itself. Well for the past 3 years my husbands family has always stayed at the hampton inn. They loved it and bragged about it numerous times. Well, my husband and i decited one day to rent a room there just for a small one night get away to see what this hotel was "really all about" it was VERY NICE. VERY CLEAN and the staff was very friendly. They gave nice breakfast in the morning free with your stay. It's a worthwhile place to stay. I myself am glad i picked this place for my husbands family to stay and it was worth my husband and I's one night trip let me tell you. VERY NICE PLACE would recomend to anybody who is traveling to or around westport massachusetts.

• Stayed July 2006
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Summit, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2006

I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised to enjoy my stay at the Hampton Inn Westport. I booked as part of a wedding block for a ceremony in nearby Rhode Island, and thought it was a good price. Every staff person I interacted with was so nice and friendly, providing preprinted directions to the nearest highways, and when I mentioned that I should have been booked at a lower price due to the wedding block, they reduced the price without even a peep of complaint or argument. I had tried to call the 1800 number right after booking the hotel room to get the discount but the customer rep flat out refused to change the price over the phone, so I was very happy that the staff in Westport was so accomodating.

The free hot breakfast was good, especially the biscuits and gravy and chocolate muffins. Usually with hotels of this type you just get some coffee and hard toast! They even provide you with breakfast to go in brown paper bags if you have to run. The rooms are clean and modern, and the beds are very comfortable. I will definitely stay in a Hampton Inn again (this was my first time) if they are like this one.

• Stayed July 2006

Been to Hampton Inn Fall River/Westport? Share your experiences!