“Fun Night Out” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night
Medford, Massachusetts
“Fun Night Out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I went to the Sunset Tiki Bar tonight with my husband and 5 yo twins. We loved it! Don’t go there for a fancy night out. Go there if you want to chill, take your time, have a tasty drink with your toes in the sand, and have an experience, as opposed to just going out for dinner. We stuck with basic, lower priced entrees. For me, the atmosphere is geared more towards things like burgers and not the more expensive entrees. There was nice live music, friendly service, a beach and a playground for the kids, grown-up games, and good drinks and good food. Perfect night out!

We went on a Friday night and arrived just after 5:30 PM. We were there for two hours. There was a steady flow of people arriving all evening. The people checking IDs on the way in were very friendly. We were helped immediately to a table and given our choice of where to sit. It did take awhile for someone to take our drink order, but the waitress was quite nice and seemed to be working hard, covering several tables. The drinks and nachos came quickly and were good. While waiting for the drinks I took the kids over to the beach area to play for a few minutes in the water. There were lots of kids having fun swimming in the pond. There was a coffee-house style singer performing. She was very good and pleasant to listen to. Nachos were loaded and yummy. We ordered our meals about 10 minutes after the nachos arrived, by our choice. The meals came quickly and we were happy with them. My husband had a burger, cooked with a nice char on the outside and medium-rare inside, just as he ordered. I had the BBQ pork sliders and they were tasty. The sliders were a small entrée, but after the nachos I didn’t want to have a large item. The kids menu had several nice choices. Our twins had the pizza (two nice sized slices) and hotdog. No complaints from them! Between the nachos and the entrées I took the kids to the play area where there is a playground for kids, and lots of things for adults (cornhole, volley ball, bocce, and other games.) There are a lot of bugs, but you have to expect that in a wooded, swampy area in the summer. This shouldn’t detract from the rating. We were prepared and had covered ourselves and the kids with bug spray before going in. The Adirondack style chairs are awkward for eating, but nice for relaxing in before and after eating. There are indoor bathrooms just across the parking lot. After dinner we paid the bill and took the kids and our drinks over to the play area. The kids had fun running and playing with other kids while my husband and I played cornhole and finished our drinks. We will definitely return!

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Newton, Massachusetts
“Someplace different in central MA”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

The pros outweigh the cons here if you're looking for a new setting to have some beers and bar food. The wait was outrageous (1hr+) for a sit-down table, but there's plenty of picnic tables, chairs and 2 separate bars, you can order food from each. We did that and didn't wait very long for the grub (good food!). Big drink selection (but not super cheap). Cons - mosquitos are everywhere, but they offer bug spray (I'd bring extra). Also, there are port-a-potties, no indoor restrooms. If you can get around those, it was very chill to for our group to sit in deckchairs on the sand listening to live music.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“tropical fun without the cost of a plane ticket”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

the Sunset Tiki bar is a great example of making something out of almost nothing. It is a tiny man made beach on a tinier man made "lake"[puddle], with totally tacky grass huts and beach chairs in the sand. That being said... I love it! It is a local place to sit outside and enjoy a drink with friends, sink your toes in the sand, listen to some music, and unwind.It is a bit pricey, but it makes for a different kind of night out than you usually find in Westford.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Boston
“Bad service plus bad beer meets the police state”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

It goes from bad to worse so I'll start at the beginning.

Everyone gets carded, even middle aged guys like myself. I have been in 100+ bars and restaurants in the past ten years and this is the only place I have ever been carded. That is ridiculous.

They scan your ID. Yes, scan it.

The bartending in completely amateur. These bartenders wouldn't last 5 minutes in Boston. Be prepared for a long wait at the bar. Don't even think about ordering a mixed drink.
The beer was flat and not nearly as cold as it should have been.

The waitresses are clueless. We sat at a table for over 3 hours and not one waitress asked us if we wanted another drink. Even when our cups were empty. When we wanted a drink we had to go to the bar.

The police presence is completely over the top. They walk through the seating and bar area regularly and act like they would cuff you in a second.

The bathrooms are porta potties so don't go on a warm night. There are regular bathrooms across the parking lot and up a flight of stairs but it's a little bit of a walk and you have to run the gauntlet of cops and bouncers by the entrance.

Probably one of the most dreadful experiences I've ever had.

I will never go back to this place and wouldn't even recommend it to my enemies.

• Visited July 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
“LIVE STRONG BRACELET”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

This place is over priced...... If you wear a LIVE STRONG BRACELET, Watch out the guy at the door doesn't cut it off while taking off that paper band with his knife! Yep he chopped mine off and said he could put it back together with TAPE???? Why use a knife with if you cut me then what maybe you would give me a band aid? My friends and family are BS about this, that bracelet had a lot of value to me I have only been wearing it for 3 years now!

• Visited June 2012