“Lessons could be so much better” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 5 Attractions in Westford
Type: Ski/ Snowboard Areas, Sports
Activities: Skiing
More attraction details
Owner description: Located only 45 minutes from downtown Boston, this ski and recreational area is popular for year-round fun.
5 attraction reviews
“Lessons could be so much better”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

This is a very hit or miss experience. Both of my kids have participated in this multi-week program spanning 8 years. However here is what they could do to make the program 100x better:

1) Don't book the lessons back to back....the volume of people dropping off and picking up all shoved in a small area with ski gear - kids-parents etc. is not only annoying it is very unsafe! They have signs posted suggesting that you tell your kids where to meet you. However, you really can't expect a young kid to remember or even be able to see you given the number of people there. Additionally it is dark when many of your lessons are out making it even harder and a major safety risk.

2) You have very young staff - I understand that it is more cost effective however you need to train them to look alive and ready to greet parents and get kids settled into the lesson vs. standing with their back to the families and chatting with each other.

3)Have parents complete an on-line survey of their child's ability level before they arrive. One of the biggest problems with the program is how often you miss the mark on assessment and grouping student who are often at very different levels. I have talked with several other parents who have had the same experience. Obviously a survey is not going to be a perfect measure - but it is a place to start - then do the in person test.

Overall, this is a good location and sometimes the kids are grouped right and things work out ok. However, there are issues that I have seen year in and year out that could be fixed and really improve the program.

18 attraction reviews
“Good for night skiing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

Night skiing here is perfect as you have the place pretty much to yourself with no lines at the lift & they groom the trails throughout the evening. It is a small place, but it's great for families that live nearby, and is perfect for practicing form and technique for those looking to become better skiers. Also, the ski instructors are very good at helping you to focus on improving even the most minute flaw in how you ski. We ski pretty well, but my wife and I decided to take a 6 week course (every Sunday evening for 1 hour) to see where we can improve. Everyone can improve no matter how advanced. Instructors Michael & Jessica are just great, and we only paid $159 for 6 weekly lesson of an hour each lesson, and this includes night skiing from 5-10pm. It's beautifully out up, and the lodge/restaurant is nicer than many in NH.

Dumfries
55 attraction reviews
“Decent tubing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

This review is for the tubing facility only - there are 8 tubing runs on one side, six on the other, and 4 tow rope lifts. Tubes are provided. $30 a head for 2 hours, or $150 for six admissions. Not bad if it's not crowded. Went over Christmas break - go before noon to avoid the crowds.

There is a wooden deck between the two tubing runs where parents can watch kids go up and down - but what goes on at the top of the hill is not visible from the platform. The entire line, tow rope and tubing run, however, is visible.

Well run facility, good staff, helpful, and attentive to safety.

Visited December 2013
“Beware for your Safety”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

There were long lines at the bottom and worse at the top of the hill. There were only 2 teens running the top - managing 10 -12 lanes. There was only 1 teen at the bottom managing all the lanes - trying to keep the people who get off the tube from getting wacked by the tubes coming down.

I went flying down, turning around, as I face front again towards the bottom I saw a little girl - approx. 5 - standing directly in my lane. I pointed at the teen working at the bottom and yelled "Move Her"!!. He was totally in a daze, not paying attention. I hit her so hard - she went flying right into my face - our heads hitting hard. We came to a stop with her on top of me. I looked around and NO ONE saw or was coming to help.

When I did get up I asked the teen why he didn't do something. He very "smartly" said - HEY - we've been at this all day" arms stretched open - like I was bothering him. It was only 2 pm and they were open til 10pm.

Talked with a "supervisor" who said - Look - we had a lot of staff out today and we are very short staffed. I said - well shouldn't you close 1/2 these lanes and limit the number of people on the slope for safety? He said - Look - I have a real job - I do this PT - I don't make these decisions - it's New Years Day and the owner wanted to open.

2 other people who saw this happen decided it was not safe to stay - and I decided to leave as well. My head also hurt - and NO ONE there even ASKED if I was ok. The little girl went to get examined with her parents.

If her head of my head had hit each other's teeth or neck - it would have been worse. It is NOT WORTH the risk. It was a poorly managed snow tubbing ski area.

Houston, Texas
“Good for Tubing....not Skiing!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

We had a great time tubing, however Nashoba is too small for skiing! This is a well run facility, but if you're looking to get a feel for ski resort ambiance, I suggest going to Vermont or even Wachusett (day trip). We skied at Wachusett, and leveraged Nashoba for tubing; this proved to be a great decision. Maybe if you're a local simply looking to get in a few runs, it's fine. However, if you're on vacation....ski elsewhere! That said....tubing was enjoyable!

Visited December 2013