“Rude and confrontational staff if something is wrong with your food.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Santiago Family Restaurant

Santiago Family Restaurant
34 Franklin St, Westfield, MA 01085-2225
413-562-0210
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 90 Restaurants in Westfield
Cuisines: American
“Rude and confrontational staff if something is wrong with your food.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

I visited this restaurant with my niece because it was the number 1 restaurant in Westfield. We received our food bur my nieces food had hair in it. We brought it the attention of the older gentlemen working behind the counter, he immediately began to raise his voice at my nieces telling her that it was her hair and refused to give her another meal. I stepped in and asked that he not speak to my niece in the manner in which he was so, he proceeded to raise his voice at me and accused us of trying to get a free meal. I tried to reason with him but I could not take his insults any longer. We left $30 on the counter (double the price of our meals) and left without eating our food. I am disgusted by their behavior and will never visit this whole in the wall again. They need to attend a Customer Service 101 course.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Central Massachusetts
“AWESOME but hot in the summer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

We saw that it was #1 in Westfield and TripAdvisor never steers us wrong so we headed that way. the place looks a little scary from the front and it was a 96 degree day and the door was open so we figured there was no A/C. I hemmed and hawed in the parking lot as to weather to try it as there was a police car out front, but decided to trust TripAdvisor reviews.
As we walked in the policeman came out CARRYING TAKE OUT, lol - talked to him, said best place in town, try the pork.
The place is HOT - tiny and a touch cramped - they do what they can with the space they have. it's open to the kitchen and you can see what they are doing and that's why the A/C can't keep up on such a hot day. we DRIPPED with sweat the whole time we were there, but if it's under 90 out it should be OK.
the service was awesome - family gals, friendly, fast, attentive, great.
the food was awesome - hubby and i wanted something half way healthy so got the chicken, rice and veggies - was great, made just as great a lunch with what i couldn't eat the next day.
many of the dinners are available in appetizer portions so you can try them - the seafood appetizer will be my next dinner when i go - and i WILL go again, just not on a dead summer day.
if you're in the area, try it - great people, beer selection is COLD and good, food was great. if you mind the heat, don't go on the hottest summer days.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
“Terrific little ethnic restaurant, convenient to Mass Turnpike”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

My wife and I stopped here on our way from eastern Mass to the Berkshires. The restaurant is close to the Westfield exit on the Pike. We very much enjoyed the Puerto Rican food, ambiance and service. The menu was somewhat limited but I had a delicious chicken stew and my wife had an even more delicious roast pork dish. The rice and beans were a nice compliment to both entrees. And the portions were generous. The room is small and filled with all kinds of island and family decorations. Feels homelike. Our waiter -- the owners' son -- was attentive and helpful with a cheery disposition. We look forward to visiting it again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
NJ
“Limited menu, loud music, slow service. Go there only if you are specifically looking for something Puerto Rican”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Small and cramped establishment in an ugly looking part of town with limited parking. Menu choices are limited to a combination of rice and beans plus chicken or pork prepared in different ways.

The live music was painfully loud, as if the singer tried to compensate for the lack of talent with volume (the band was not bad though). The waiters were friendly, but not very fast. In this abysmal noise we had to wait for at least half an hour for our meals to arrive. The food was OK, but too salty for the kids.

Bottom line: this place looks more like a meeting joint for hte local Puerto Rican community where the drink bear, meet friends, and generally enjoy themselves. Not recommended for travelers with kids.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
MA
“Good home cooking with a Puerto Rico flare”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

The best darn restaurant in Westfield is Santiago Family Restaurant. It is a small place but the food is great, reasonably priced and has large portions. It is a family run business too. They will take care of you and your party!

On Weekend nights, the place is hopping with live music.

The menu is built around rice and beans and offers pork, beef, chicken in a variety of styles. Always tasty is the chicken and vegetables! We also love the beef and chicken empanadas!

Try the alcapurria, something that is worth the trip alone! Their homemade hot sauce is flavorful and should be sold by the bottle!

My only wish is that they will offer coconut water and not coconut soda (too sweet for me). But that is minor and we visit the restaurant at least once a month!

I also order take out! Try Santiago!

• Visited June 2012