“Would go again!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in West Yarmouth
Massachusetts
“Would go again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2009

Husband and I went there middle of March 2009 for a simple overnight get-away. We were pleasantly surprised by a great indoor pool with whirlpool, a wonderful 'fifties-style breakfast diner and a very clean and comfortable room. This location is in the middle of everything so you won't be bored. If anything, I would have liked to have found a less expensive location - paid $90 and that is only offseason!! Has been under new ownership for about six or eight years so dump all old presumptions. The staff was hard at work sprucing up the grounds for summer.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Springfield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2009

I work with individuals w/ disabilites & we stayed here & had a great time. The staff was very pleasant & accomodating. They gave us a great price for the 5 rooms we booked. We will becoming back.

• Liked — Price
  • Stayed September 2008
Bethlehem
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2008

The Inn itself was fine. Great rooms, wonderful indoor heated pool with hot tub. But, the hot tub had no seats for comfort. The Breakfast Buffet had great 50's and Coka Cola decore but the Manager had a personality problem, no tact at all and was at times downright rude. The rest of the crew was pleasant and very attentive. The food was barely warm instead of piping hot. The bacon was way over cooked and the coffee was very bitter, and extremely strong. It was so bad, more sugar and milk did little to fix the problem. One other problem was opening on time. If the sign on the door says 9am and it opens 9:15 or later , at least let the people come in , get seated and tell them the food will be ready shortly.

• Liked — The rooms and the pool.
  • Disliked — The breakfast buffet
  • Stayed September 2008
Mass
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2008

My husband and I recently stayed here, we requested a late check in and they were accomadating in that aspect. The next morning, however, there was a discrepency in the rate, she did eventually lower the rate, but it was still higher than the initial rate. Upon entering the foyer of our building, there was an odd smell. Reminded me of old cigarettes, and bathroom spray even though it was a smoke free building. The smell of the room was a little better and once we opened the sliding door it was much better. Cleaniness could have been better. We absolutely loved the charm of the diner, however and the food was reasonably priced and very good. We didn't use the pool, but did take a tour of the facilities and it looked nice. We did like our little balcony that overlooked the water and playground. This place was ok, but not 1 that I would go back to. We went in the off season, so we probably could have gotten a nicer room elsewhere for the price we paid.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — cleanliness and odor
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Rhode Island
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Tidewater over the weekend for a quick getaway. I wanted a room with a jacuzzi tub, but since it was only for a weekend, I tried to get the most reasonable rate. All I can say is "You get what you pay for" and I overpaid at the Tidewater!

First, let me say that the staff was very friendly and professional. We checked in at 6:00 PM on Friday night. We were given a room in the building closest to the road. Since the property is located right on Rt. 28, you can hear the road traffic. I inquired about moving, however, the jacuzzi rooms are all located in that building. They were very willing to move me to another room, but, I booked the room because of the jacuzzi. The room was clean, but a little shabby. The carpeting, curtains, bedding and furniture have all seen better days. The bathroom needs a complete renovation and the vanity area is too small since they have a microwave, coffee maker and ice bucket/tray on the counter. There was so much stuff on the tiny counter, I had no where to put my toiletries. The bed and pillows were hard - I woke up with a stiff neck and back both mornings. I didn't bother to complain because short of a complete renovation, there was nothing they would have been able to do. Putting all that aside, the room was adequate for 2 nights, and I had a Jacuzzi (which is what I really wanted when I booked the weekend). However........ every time someone in the building filled the jacuzzi (including us), it sounded like the pipes were going to come crashing through the walls. Since I didn't want to disturb others, I didn't use the tub nearly as much as I wanted to. Other guests were not so considerate. On Saturday night, the couple in the next room filled their tub several time between midnight and 3:00 AM! I didn't sleep the whole time we were there.

It did not seem that the room was "cleaned" by housekeeping. The bed was made and the room was "tidied up" but the bathroom floor was not swept, the carpet was not vacuumed and the vanity area was not washed (wiped, but not washed).

The indoor and outdoor pools are clean and well cared for.

The diner was clean and convenient. The food was hot and fresh and our waitress seated us promptly and was very friendly. I think I would have to say that the diner was the best thing about this property.

The Tidewater is your typical "Old Cape" motel (not an Inn). When we left on Sunday, we drove down Rt. 6A and found lots of pretty Inns and B&B's. While they are more expensive, they are much nicer and well worth the extra charge. Rt. 6A is very scenic (rolling lawns, stone walls, historic homes), where Rt. 28 is very busy with traffic and businesses.

If you are looking for a modern, comfortable, pretty place for a weekend getaway, look elsewhere. I was very disappointed.

• Liked — The diner
  • Disliked — the room was shabby, noisey pipes, uncomfortable bed
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2008

The Tidewater Inn in West Yarmouth is a well-run Inn in the central part of Cape Cod. Nothing but the highest praise for the very helpful front-desk staff and the breakfast room servers! Rooms are very nice and clean; the price is very reasonable. Any visitor should be able to notice that everyone here is trying hard to make your experience pleasant.

Stayed May 2008
West Midlands, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2008

We chose to spend 3 days on Cape Cod in between visits to New York and Boston but left it quite late to book and most hotels seemed to be full or too expensive.

On arrival at the Tidewater Inn, the man on the desk was very helpful and polite. Our room was nice, large and clean with a fridge which was handy. There was a large outdoor pool, and an indoor heated pool and spa pool. In the lobby there was a room filled with leaflets and information, and a PC with free internet access.

It is on one of the main roads, Route 28, where there are plenty of restaurants, shops, gas stations etc. There are some nice beaches quite close by but the best ones are a bit of a further drive.

There is a breakfast diner on the premises but I am hesistant to recommend it. Although the food was very nice and not too expensive, the service was poor. Although there seemed to be plenty of staff they did not seem able to cope and were very slow taking your order, bringing your bill etc. which is frustrating when you are raring to get out to the beach for the day!

On the whole, I would recommend a stay at the Tidewater Inn.

• Disliked — service at the diner!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Tidewater Inn? Share your experiences!