“Nice staff, ok hotel.” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free High Speed Internet
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in West Yarmouth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I usually never feel "strongly" about hotels, motels or any place I'm staying in or at for the matter. However, after staying here, I can confidently say one thing: I've never been somewhere so revolting, it's unbearable, to the point I CRINGE as I even type this.
*Some* of the staff I am indifferent, mutual or mostly fine with, fourtunately. Or atleast whom I do not care for. But most of it (and this is quite a bit much for me to even mention, considering the staff seems small. Indeed, motel staffs are small, but despite this the point still stands..) I am not too fond of. Slight inconsistency, not too friendly or pleasent unless you're going to spend hours talking to them, and agreeing with everything; and complimenting the place.
I'd also like to point out the cleanliness of the pools. And saying the pools were unclean is an understatement. The staff had done a good job cleaning the pool when they actually DID; however, that wasn't often. And even when they did so, allow me to state how the bottom of the pool was still dirty (nasty actually). Nonetheless, despite their good job in making the water see through, you don't completely get a clean sensation or feeling when you see through the water to the absolutely disgusting FLOOR of the pool. Mold (or atleast it LOOKS like that, and whatever it is it's just as disgusting. Be it an excess of dirt or dead skin, it doesn't change the queasiness you get from a single glance..) Oh, and bugs and worms and larvae crawling on the floor of that big dirty rectangle with water in it doesn't make things any more productive, by the way.
I'd also like to mention the people staying at this excuse for a motel. Drug addicts (but ones up to no good), rebels, and many more. I've seen quite a few cases of the drug dealing and danger here. (Smelling it from next door, seeing traces, etc.) Countless times have I been disturbed by those inhabiting the rooms. And quite frankly, you can't endure it after a day or two.
May I mention the towels? I'd love to. In a bad way. The towels are, and this is not as opinion (it's that bad), very rough. Honestly, is reccomend you'd bring a bunch of towels and blankets and sheets along with you, even your own bed. The towels are rough and greyish and old, as well are the sheets, blankets and pillow cases; and the mattresses. I've seen grease, burns and a few other foreign substances on these necessities, and whether or not they were caused by the guests, they're old and there needs to be more of these supplies.
And here's one of the most abominable issue I must meet to comment on is the garbage and trash issues. Not only is it crowded with trash that's been there for who knows how long, but it attracts flies, which come to the pool, and the rooms. Now imagine the scenery: You go to the pool for a morning swim, and you see the pool's filfthy floor. Bugs on the bottome swimming around, crawling around, clumps of hair lingering through the whole pool. But that's not the worse part. Because then you take a glance at the actual top of the pool and you see:
Dead. Bugs. Floating on the top. Have I made my point?
Looking back to the actual garbage however, do not even think of taking a trip there at night. Unless you want to be aquatinted by a Racoon, or more flies.
And, now, it's time to bring up the chidlren and entertainment subject. As for the chidlren, it's as if the staff has a distaste for them. Really. There can be many adults causing mischief and whatever, and then a chidlren goes "SQUEAAAAK" and bam, "Tell your child to be quiet!" And as for my entertainment subject, the only entertainment you'd find here is: A cruddy, old and battered ping ping table, two gruesome pools, and a disappointing, sad excuse for a playground, nonetheless even a swing set. The "back yard" or however you'd prefer to call it is a major disappointment. A rusty old slide which apparently, from sources, "Burns on a hot day". The two beaten swings are no good either.
One of the final topics I'm gladly going to bring up is the "continental breakfast". Old cereal, stale bagels, spoiled peanut butter. Delicious no? That's sarcasm by the way. It's dreadful. Being your own trash can and eat from that, it's more luxurious.
Oh, and too bad showers are awful too. Maybe that's why the pools so dirty if you're supposed to bathe in something so repulsive before swimming. Moldy. The stream is weak. Either too cold or boiling. I suppose you get my point. The drains, also, be it the sink/faucet, shower or toilet, clog very easily. And overall, you'd prefer the gas station over these bathrooms.
Finally, this world would just be a better place if someone or many people (which I'm actually considering for myself) to go to the place and shut it down. And this Howard Johnsons has earned shame to it's name, and gives many other of the motels/hotels of it undeserved bad names too.

• Stayed August 2012
david t, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Cape Cod, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
I wanted to take a moment to respond to your review. Our hotel is a family hotel with clean, comfortable and safe amenities. We try very hard to accommodate everyone during their stay. We hope that during your stay that you pointed out to us your dissatisfaction so we could of helped make your stay more enjoyable rather than writing a review 8 months after the fact.

For those who are reading this review, our hotel follows the strict standards of our brand, we train our staff to be warm & hospitable and we take great pride in our hotel. We look forward to our guests arriving this summer and hope you will give us a chance to earn your business.

Thank you!
Fort Myers, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I stayed @ this Hotel for five nights with my special needs daughter. I am very familar with Cape Cod. Most all of the motels are Mom and Pop and dated. Our room was clean, and comfortable. The price was beyond excellent for breakfast included. David Tu, the manager, was more than kind to grant our every wish. For the people that want "upgrades" for movies and such, I suggest they reach alot deeper in their pockets!!! Wonderful visit, thanks David :)

Room Tip: Upstairs in the middle, wonderful views of the Bay!!!!