“My new favorite place to stay on the Cape” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Green Harbor on the Ocean

You added Green Harbor on the Ocean to your Saves list
Green Harbor on the Ocean
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   182 Baxter Avenue, P.O. Box 746, West Yarmouth, MA 02673   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in West Yarmouth
Boston, Massachusetts
“My new favorite place to stay on the Cape”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I just returned from a weekend stay at Green Harbor. A few friends and I had a relaxing getaway there in one of the 3-bedroom cottages. The view from our deck was spectacular and we could have sat out there for hours.

The best things about the resort are the staff, the accomodations, and the "extras". The staff could not have been friendlier or more helpful - from booking, to check-in, to check-out. The cottage was clean and well-appointed. I had thought we were supposed to have a dishwasher, but alas, our cottage did not have one. Not a big deal really. The "extras" in the way of beach chairs, lots of towels, bikes for borrowing, etc. were a plus. They are not stingy here with stuff like that. Plenty of soap, plenty of clean towels, etc. It was nice to not have to request those things like you often have to do at many hotels.

It was a bit pricey, but for what you get, I understand why. I typically prefer the outer cape over this mid-cape location, but I would definitely return to Green Harbor and may also consider bringing my family next year as it is very family-friendly as well.

Room Tip: Cottage 21 is very nice. A little farther from the beach/pool, but very quiet and a great view from...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
ghoffice, resort coordinator at Green Harbor on the Ocean, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
Our variety of accommodations offer "something for everyone." Multi-bedrooms for groups to share the house and the price, or attached cottages for multi-generational families to be close, yet be able to sleep in their "own place." Efficiency studios are also available for those who want a "get away from it all" stay. We appreciate feedback from our guests so that we can continue to improve our amenities. Thank you for sharing. Janice @ GH front desk

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

My husband's folks began coming here before he was born, nearly 57 years ago and they came almost every year. We have come every year that we could , due to living far away. A lot has changed in the property buildings in the years but one thing has not, the beauty, the quiet, the clean and quaint accommodations and the wonderful staff! When we stay here we are amazed that we could just sit out all day and just enjoy the fabulous view. When we venture away to explore our other favorite places to eat and visit we are always anxious to get back to this resort. Everyone that comes here seems so family orientated. There are lots of family reunions held here as we have done for years. It is a fun and safe place for people of all ages. Everything you need is here and more. Prices are very reasonable off season. It may seem pricey during the in season, but you are right on the ocean and the property is maintained I think better than any resort I have been to. Just about the same staff is there to great you every year and they get to know you and your family. I wouldn't think of staying anywhere else except for one Inn on King's Highway maybe for a night or two. Nothing in my opinion compares to Green Harbor. The only problem is that once you stay here you don't want to leave. Some of my best memories with my family are here. Hope not much will ever change here. Love you Green Harbor!

Room Tip: Townhouses closest to the beach are my favorite!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Generations of families have vacationed here at Green Harbor. The managers have been here for forty-one years, and 100% of the staff returns every Spring. The number of repeat guests makes each check-in feel like a family reunion. Thank you for your loyalty and your positive comments, and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Cape Cod. Janice and the GH staff !
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

This was our second visit to Green Harbor in 2 years. We loved it last year and really enjoyed our stay again this summer. The resort is perfect for our family with elementary-aged children. The private beach is small and located in a bay which keeps the waters calm (no big waves here). There is a playground on the beach and a 9-hole mini-golf course on property. The pool was clean, warm, and never overly crowded. My kids enjoyed the free bicycles and the kids camp program. We especially liked the full kitchen in our well-kept, clean suite, in which we cooked all our meals. Supermarkets and fish stores are conveniently located. The resort is also near to several Cape Cod tourist sites and family-fun attractions.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
ghoffice, resort coordinator at Green Harbor on the Ocean, responded to this review, September 1, 2012
Our Green Harbor family is happy to hear that your family enjoyed your recent vacation ! See you again in 2013 (-: Janice and the Green Harbor staff
Cicero, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

What can I say, other than as first timers to GH, we will return! We used trip advisor for the first time to reserve our family vacation to the Cape, and wasn't sure how we should interpret some of the reviews. Especially when terms like "Cape Cod luxury" are used. We didn't know what to actually expect. Even some of the site pictures do not do justice to the manicured well maintained site and buildings. So we arrived with guarded expectations and was pleasantly surprise! Most all the recent positive reviews are accurate, and even some of the nit-picking negatives are spot on. As a frequent traveler there are many items that can ruin a trip, especially a family vacation, and this property isn't one.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
ghoffice, resort coordinator at Green Harbor on the Ocean, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
I am happy to hear that your vacation at Green Harbor exceeded your expectaions. Pictures and words are a good guideline, but nothing beats the actual Green Harbor experience! Thank you for taking time to share. Janice @ GHR front desk
Madison
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

My family stayed for 3 nights in a townhouse. It was spacious clean and we had our own deck and patio w/ Weber grill which we used for roasting marshmallows the tv's were not fancy but we were not there to watch tv anyhow. The property was well manicured and beautiful! We were able to relax because the resort included many COMPLIMENTARY amenities such as lounge chairs, umbrellas, children activities, mini golf, bike and helmets, shuffleboard and our favorite boats and kayaks to explore. The front desk (Suzanna paricularly) was polite and courteous to all of our needs. We forgot to bring beach towels and we were promptly brought extra towels to use. The pool was clean, large and very refreshing. We also were welcomed at their other resorts close by which had watersports, an indoor pool and a restaurant. We did venture off to the Riveria for jetskiing and one day to the Red Jacket Beach for the restaurant convenience and to enjoy another beautiful view of the Nantucket Sound. All of us enjoyed our stay and although we would return we usually go somewhere different and new every summer. The value and variety were very much appreciated and each of us had a wonderful vacation!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your descriptive review ! If your vacation cycle reaches the "repeat" stage, give us a call. Thanks again from all of the Green Harbor staff.
Marblehead, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

My family (husband, 20 year old daughter and 23 year old son) took 5 days to relax on the cape. Green Harbor was a perfect place. We were all able to fit in one unit because it had a queen size Murphy bed, a double and a single bed, in addition, it had a full kitchen so we were able to sleep in and eat breakfast (and lunch) together.

The resort has a lovely pool and a small but beautiful beach. We opted for the beach because there were lots of little kids at the pool and my "kids" are grown up. There was a creek just behind our unit that leads to the bay and then to Nantucket sound so the water was calm and lovely. We were able to take our Kayaks for an easy paddle around the creek and look at some lovely homes and scenery.

My only complaint is that I wish I had known about this place when my kids were little.
If I were to improve the place at all, I would place either ceiling fans in both rooms of the unit or add an air conditioning unit in the bedroom of our unit. It got a little warm in there if you closed the door at night.

The cabin we were in was cleaner than any hotel room I've ever stayed in. The staff couldn't have been more helpful. Our room was cleaned daily, trash removed, beds made, etc.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
ghoffice, resort coordinator at Green Harbor on the Ocean, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay at Green Harbor. We appreciate suggestions, and your AC / fan request has been put on the list for 2013. Our reservation line is open year round; when you are ready for a repeat visit, give us a call. Janice at the GH front desk
Providence, RI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

First, I want to preface the review with a word about the Cape: Once you accept the simple premise that Cape Code is over-priced, you realize that everything about Green Harbor Resort is 4-start, or "very good". Expensive, yes. But that's just the Cape.

The resort was completely full this weekend, in spite of the high prices. So the hotel is definitely not over-priced in the Cape market. It's just a high-end market. Everything here is pricy and it's been the case for decades.

About is the hotel:

1. The Outstanding

(A) The pool. This is the resort's secret weapon. It's a nice, big, clean 30ft x 50ft outdoor pool and it's delightfully heated to about 85 degrees. We had absolutely dreadful weather this weekend. While most other resorts either don't have pools, or they're not heated, at Green Harbor, I was able to get my fix of water in spite of a terribly cold, windy and rainy weekend thanks to this magnificent pool.

(B) The service: Great. People were polite and welcoming. We got to speak with a number of people at reception and on the grounds. Everyone was very professional and kind. Our many requests (late checkout, pool towels, etc) was met with utmost professionalism and our room was cleaned daily.

(C) The online booking service: Worked perfectly well. And their deposit and cancellation policy is very reasonable.

2. The very good

Our cottage had everything we needed: Comfortable bed, clean sheets, a quiet environment, very well kept grounds and a clothes-line. We had fully functioning A/C, and free, powerful in-room wifi. The bathroom was spotless and we got plenty of towels, soap and shampoo. You also get a fridge, microwave and a grill outside. Given the beach clientele the resort caters to, I wasn't surprised that there was no iron / ironing board. But it would have been nice, given that we had an event to go to. The carpet was a little older, but nothing I would call home to complain about. Given the last two items, the resort gets four stars instead of five. Overall, very good.

3. The so-so

I cannot fault the resort for this, it's just where they are located. But the beach may be disappointing to some. Keep in mind that the hotel sits on a bay near Hyannis, next to a canal. So you get no surf, green water (hence the name) that's somewhat silty. You also have seaweed. The sand part looks artificial. There's nothing wrong with it (the water is warm, and clean). But I suspect that you can have a much more authentic beach experience elsewhere on the Cape.

So to conclude: if you are set in staying in Hyannis, this is definitely the place. If you are seeking a true beach experience, look for hotels further west. If Green Harbor is too steep for your budget, then don't bother with the Cape. My suggestion would be to look at hotels or rentals in Southern Rhode Island. You can have a much better beach experience, with better water, better food, less traffic, less chi-chi, at a fraction of the price. From Boston it would be an extra 100 miles or so. But the value for money doesn't compare. It just won't be "the Cape".

Room Tip: Couples: No need to pay extras for the more expensive rooms. We got the cheapest. It was great.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
I'm not sure what I can add to your review, except "Thank You ! " Our beach is a typical
"Cape Cod" beach. The top layer of sand gets blown away by the winter storms every year, which leaves the coarse sand in some places. In season, the beach is combed weekly, and the seaweed is raked daily. Our prices are not outlandish, considering that there is no resort fee, parking fee, or charges for all the included amenities and activities. Thank you again for your detailed review. Hope to see you again. Janice at Green Harbor

Been to Green Harbor on the Ocean? Share your experiences!