First, I want to preface the review with a word about the Cape: Once you accept the simple premise that Cape Code is over-priced, you realize that everything about Green Harbor Resort is 4-start, or "very good". Expensive, yes. But that's just the Cape.
The resort was completely full this weekend, in spite of the high prices. So the hotel is definitely not over-priced in the Cape market. It's just a high-end market. Everything here is pricy and it's been the case for decades.
About is the hotel:
1. The Outstanding
(A) The pool. This is the resort's secret weapon. It's a nice, big, clean 30ft x 50ft outdoor pool and it's delightfully heated to about 85 degrees. We had absolutely dreadful weather this weekend. While most other resorts either don't have pools, or they're not heated, at Green Harbor, I was able to get my fix of water in spite of a terribly cold, windy and rainy weekend thanks to this magnificent pool.
(B) The service: Great. People were polite and welcoming. We got to speak with a number of people at reception and on the grounds. Everyone was very professional and kind. Our many requests (late checkout, pool towels, etc) was met with utmost professionalism and our room was cleaned daily.
(C) The online booking service: Worked perfectly well. And their deposit and cancellation policy is very reasonable.
2. The very good
Our cottage had everything we needed: Comfortable bed, clean sheets, a quiet environment, very well kept grounds and a clothes-line. We had fully functioning A/C, and free, powerful in-room wifi. The bathroom was spotless and we got plenty of towels, soap and shampoo. You also get a fridge, microwave and a grill outside. Given the beach clientele the resort caters to, I wasn't surprised that there was no iron / ironing board. But it would have been nice, given that we had an event to go to. The carpet was a little older, but nothing I would call home to complain about. Given the last two items, the resort gets four stars instead of five. Overall, very good.
3. The so-so
I cannot fault the resort for this, it's just where they are located. But the beach may be disappointing to some. Keep in mind that the hotel sits on a bay near Hyannis, next to a canal. So you get no surf, green water (hence the name) that's somewhat silty. You also have seaweed. The sand part looks artificial. There's nothing wrong with it (the water is warm, and clean). But I suspect that you can have a much more authentic beach experience elsewhere on the Cape.
So to conclude: if you are set in staying in Hyannis, this is definitely the place. If you are seeking a true beach experience, look for hotels further west. If Green Harbor is too steep for your budget, then don't bother with the Cape. My suggestion would be to look at hotels or rentals in Southern Rhode Island. You can have a much better beach experience, with better water, better food, less traffic, less chi-chi, at a fraction of the price. From Boston it would be an extra 100 miles or so. But the value for money doesn't compare. It just won't be "the Cape".
- Also Known As:
- Green Harbor On The Ocean Hotel West Yarmouth
- Green Harbor On The Ocean Hotel
- Green Harbor On The Ocean West Yarmouth, Cape Cod, MA
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An idyllic family cottage colony with 53 units ranging from one-room efficiencies to four bedroom single family homes accommodating up to 10 people comfortably. Green Harbor is situated on a seven acre waterfront parcel on Lewis Bay with Mill Creek on its eastern border. With every amenity a family would need to enjoy a most memorable family adventure, the resort features a private beach on the warm waters of Nantucket Sound, outdoor heated pool, playground, miniature golf, basketball, shuffleboard, as well as boats,canoes and bikes. There are no public restaurant facilities on premise, as all guest units have fully equipped kitchens. The resort is less than five minutes drive to Hyannis’ popular Main Street. With its spacious cottages and Cape Cod villas, Green Harbor is the perfect setting for a family vacation, a romantic getaway, or reunion party. Kids’ Klub, a supervised children’s program is offered during summer season along with a full complement of family activities, including hermit crab races, kite making, sand sculpting contests, fun clowns, fishing derbie and magic shows. Open from mid May until mid October. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Tingo, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Venere, Travelocity and Otel so you can book your Green Harbor on the Ocean reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.