“underrated” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in West Yarmouth
new york state
“underrated”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2009

True this is an older motel. But I found my room clean and comfortable, and the front office personnel very friendly and helpful. And, a budget friendly cost!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Belleville, ON
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2009

Upon arrival was directed to room "out back" ... had to carry bags through games room as there was no parking spot. Room with a view? Of the parking lot and dumpster next door! Room smelled like chemical cleaner, there was mold all over the bathroom ceiling, the carpet was worn and dirty and the bed linens were DISGUSTING!

Absolutely the WORST hotel room I have ever seen. Went back to front desk to ask for a room change and was told "we don't think we have any more rooms" ... it's the front desk, shouldn't they KNOW if they have rooms?

Asked for a refund ... waited 10 minutes to be told "we MIGHT have a room" but I would have to wait until after 4:00 PM to find out ... no thanks! Went next door to a restaurant as the T&C WiFi was not working and 15 minutes later I got a refund - thanks, Expedia!

I turned in the key and left ... the front desk staff did not even notice I was there.

Pay whatever you have to and stay somewhere else, but DO NOT stay there!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2008

We stayed at this hotel over the Labour Day long weekend 2008. Our trip to the Cape was a last minute decision and therefore, there wasn't a lot of vacancy in the area when we started searching. We came upon the hotel website and it seemed to have all of the things that we required so we booked it. I noted that on the website it indicated there was wireless internet but on the reviews, people had said there were rooms that couldn't access the wireless. Therefore, since internet was goin to be my means of staying in contact with family I had emailed the hotel asking that we be put in a room where the wireless would be available.

We had trouble finding the hotel on our GPS as the address took us into Hyannis. Ultimately, you have to put in the hotel name not the address into the GPS (TomTom) in order to find it. Just a tip for any fellow TomTom users.

Upon check-in we were greeted by an unfriendly girl at the front desk. The front reception area was pleasant and clean with plenty of reading material to be picked up as well as free coffee and tea. We were given our room and shown on the map where it was. It was clear that we were in the very back row, being the rooms that I had read about where internet would not be available. I asked her about this and advised of my advanced email about requiring internet and she just brushed me off saying they were full so this is our room. I indciated that I was going to go try to find another hotel and she promptly told me that she would then be charging our entire stay to my credit card. As a result we simply checked in. Not exactly the warm welcome to the Cape that one might have expected.

We got our room and it was clean and tidy and everything we required, except internet access. We did notice that strong chemical smell that others have written about, but I had brought an air freshener with me. We found the location of the hotel to be perfect for us as we were just there to explore all the different areas of the cape and to do some whale watching and enjoy the beaches. There are shops and restaurants close by and it was only a short drive to Seagull beach. We had great weather and a relaxing stay and kept ourselves too busy to even try any of the pools at the hotel. The hotel served our purpose well, even if we were put off by our initial contact at the front desk.

• Liked — it's location to activities throughout the cape
  • Disliked — the staff, the lack of wireless internet throughout the hotel property
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2008

Absolutely diabolical place to stay - never again. Dirty rooms, dirty bedlinen and even a cockroach spotted in the bathroom. Staff unbelievably rude and dismissive. Definitely the worst motel we've ever had the misfortune to stay in.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — dirtiness
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2008

I used to stay here with my parents and siblings many years ago as a child. Back then the place was great. It was one of the most popular places on the Rt. 28 strip. It was clean, nice and fun. Now it’s a dump. I seems like 25 years went by and nobody did anything to keep up the place. The room was horrible. One of the 4 drawers in the dresser had something dried and gross in in, probably puke. I didn’t look long enough to determine, I just closed it back up and shook my head. The pull out bed was horrible and dirty and covered in what appeared to be nuts and shells of some kind. It also didn’t have bedding for it as promised. The room itself smelled horrible right when you walk in it hits you like a sour lime wall of odor. The bathroom knob was sticky and gross and didn’t lock. A real problem when you have nosey young kids. I was told by management that it was intentional and the reason was to avoid the occasional locked door with no one inside. The door also didn’t even latch closed anyway. They offered to fix it, but I said if it doesn’t lock, what is the point. The refrigerator was cold as a freezer, so instead of keep everything cold, it turned everything to frozen solid and the temp control on it was broken so that ruined lots of good food. The TV was small and far away from the beds. The carpet was smelly and dirty. The walls and ceiling were old and dirty and gross. The game room which used to be one of the highlights smelled horrible and was overrun with tables and chairs making the outdated video game machines too much of a hassle to get to. The once great saunas were locked closed so I assume they were broken. The indoor pool was ok, but a little chilly at times. I think they only heat it for part of the day, instead of all day as advertised. The beds were uncomfortable. No continental breakfast anymore, just 24 hour “fake” coffee and tea. What a dump. I could go on all day about the bad things about this place. It’s too bad because 25 years ago it was an awesome place to stay for a great price. You couldn’t pay me to stay here ever again, memories or no memories.

• Liked — Nothing now, just the memories of the way it used to be
  • Disliked — The room was 100% gross
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2008

Our room was beyond awful. It absolutely reeked of pine-sol.
Who in their right mind cleans with pine-sol anymore?? Walking into the room gave my niece an instant headache. In addition, the staff (with the exception perhaps of the manager) was rude, arrogant, supercilious, and generally unhelpful.
And try getting a refund credited to you when you decide not to put up with their madness. Expect them to give you the line "well, it's in our system" and then hang up on you when you call to inquire. Better to call your credit card company and report fraud.
My husband and I had stayed at the motel several times during the summer for about five years previous to this last stay. We will NEVER stay there again, and I'd advise you to do the same.

Stayed July 2008
Liverpool, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2008

This "Place" should never be on a senior bus trip itinerary. It's not conducive to seniors assigned to the units on the second floor!! No elevators and the wooden staircase outside has a wide handrail that cannot be gripped for an adequate safe hold. We were in a second floor room with a king sized bed and they had full sized sheets that did not fit. The bathroom was partially remodeled with a one piece tub and surround that had mold at the top of it on the sealing caulk. The bathroom floor was never cleaned, had the same hair and other dirt all four nights we were there. I doubt that the carpet was ever vacuumed. There were two other bus groups with ours and the rest of our groups comments of their rooms was mold, dirty and torn sheets. I see the internet rate is $39. a night, that's not a bargain with the above amenities! They've attempted to put on "new" siding that is not finished atop the windows and doors and along the outside floor deck. "Newly remolded"?? I don't think so!! Our washcloths and towels that were used were not replaced after being taken by their "housekeeping" person!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Mold in the bathroom
  • Stayed September 2008

Been to Town 'n Country Motor Lodge? Share your experiences!