“Escape to the Cape Wknd” 4 of 5 stars

The Cove at Yarmouth
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   183 Main Street, West Yarmouth, MA 02673   |
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in West Yarmouth
E Providence RI
“Escape to the Cape Wknd”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I coordinated a weekend getaway with 5 other couples for March 1-3. I required help after I made the reservations all in my name on the computer. I called and I was received by a helpful woman who answered my questions and more. Upon check in, as I entered the door and walking up to the desk, the man right away said "Hi may I help you?" What I didnt' like about that is I was just 4 steps in the door and there were other people in the lobby, too. I felt that just the opposite of what he may have been going for. There was confusion with the other rooms and the billing. The gentleman was polite, not overly friendly, but when someone from our group went downstairs on the problem, she said he was not pleasant to her and she was mad. Our Townhouses were great! Very nice. BUT the downfall on the place is the heating. There is not any happy medium. Downstairs would be cold so you would turn up the heat but then the upstairs would be a sauna. One of our groups room, the heating did not work the first night and they froze til the morning when someone was called to come fix it and they promptly did. Another down fall is the parking and the routes to your rooms. There's no easy way to many of the rooms and the hall ways are hard to navigate. The pool was very nice. No complaints. We visited the restaurant on Friday night. Much nicer than I was expecting after reading many bad reviews from 3 other sites. I had given my party a heads up to not expect much and was pleasantly wrong. The service for 11 of us was all on one waitress. She did very well, but maybe that's because it was very slow that night. The next night they had karaoke and the place was jamming, Friday night they had an acoustic guitar/singer who was nice and had a huge repitroir. If he is ever there when you are, please tip him as his tips go to a local charity. We ordered pizzas for all of us which was good, but they must have only one oven because they came out one at a time with much time in between.
The Cove was really enjoyed by my group and no real major complaints. It was off season so I am sure in the summer, the place is hopping. We didn't take advantage of the sports building that had impressive activities. We would like to all go back again in June if we can arrange it before the rates go up.
About 2 weeks after we had been home, I got a call from The Cove asking about a hairdryer that they found in one of the rooms and they thought it might belong to someone. Sure enough, it was left behind. I never spoke to her after that because I had the person who left it call but I was appreciative they they would call.
I would say go to The Cove. One of the nicer hotels in the area that is close proximity to many Cape activities.
Forgot to mention.....we found the place to be very clean. Exceptional actually. We kept looking around our rooms and found no dust or anything that shouldn't have been there.

Room Tip: Townhouses do not have balconies. There are poolside rooms (indoors) on the 1st floor that have sma...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have been here numerous times. I love getting the split level. Feels like your not at a resort. Plenty to do on property. Near beaches. Seagull beach is cool. There is a great breakfast dive (GREAT FOOD) across the street. The restaruant at the resort is nice. They have activities. i love going in the winter when the roads are slow, no traffic. be prepared in the summer. LONG traffic. Nothing to do with resort, just FYI. It's a great place to stay!!

Room Tip: Get the split level.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The Cove is our favorite Cape Cod get away in the winter. Since we live an hour away we don't frequent the area in the summer but this is certainly a great year round complex. See my past review dated Jan 5, 2012 as well.
We were here on March 9, 2013 and got an $88.00 per night rate. The property has been updated and the rooms are clean and cozy.The kitchens area is stocked with a coffee maker, microwave, dishes and glasses and mugs. There are no cooking appliances (no cooking allowed) but you can heat up leftovers. They had weekend programs for the kids which was a nice surprise and the little ones enjoyed them. We had a 2nd floor townhouse ( Rm 224) this time. It was just as lovely as the suites. I would recommended asking for a suite if you have any stair climbing issues.
We used the pool and hot tub this time and all was clean. The pool staff and check in staff were friendly and accommodating. There was one issue with my nieces reserving the Wally ball court for a specific time. When the group went over to use the court is was already in use. The manager rectified the issue right away and apologized for the mistake.
We also had sandwiches from Timmy's Roast Beef across the street. Sandwiches were ok but not as wonderful as they have been in the past. We will still go back and try it again as everyone can have an off day. We were not able to get upstairs to try the restaurant or evening entertainment as we had small children with us trip. A trip to the local Christmas Tree Shop is always fun for the girls and there is one located just down the street. All in all this is our go to weekend place to catch up with family and friends for a few laughs, relax and unwind.

Room Tip: Suites are all one floor and townhouses have stairs up to the second level sleeping area and second...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
West Bridgewater, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We booked the Cove for the weekend of vacation for the indoor pool. We had a lovely time! Although the 1 bedroom townhouse was small, it was spotless and nicely decorated. Everything about the resort was spotless! From the pools,pool area, hallways ,etc. It was a very well maintained resort. The staff was very attentive in the pool area even though the sign stated no lifeguards on duty. They watched everyone and if there was a problem they took care of it immediately. We were very impressed!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Rhode Island, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

A good start was had at check-in. We were expected, the clerk was friendly, and we were on our way to the room of our choice in about two minutes. Finding the room was less than intuitive, however. The layout of interconnected buildings was a bit daunting and signage tended to be scarce and poorly placed. Friendly tip for management: Guests shouldn't need a compass to navigate the hallways! Back on the positive side of the ledger, the room, a two-level affair whose large lower space included a kitchen area w/fridge, m'wave, coffeemaker, silverware and tableware, as well as a full bath w/tub and moderate closet space. The bed was a sofa-bed. Upstairs--and there were a lot of stairs--was a second sleeping area with its own bathroom featuring a walk-in shower. Also a second, smaller closet. Upstairs and downstairs were both immaculate and the overall condition of the room I'd classify as "new" in appearance. There was a large TV downstairs and a mid-size set up in the loft. Phones on both levels.

Pleasant as the room was to look at, it wasn't terribly comfortable. The full-size bed in the loft was a bit softer than my wife and I care for and we both felt achy on arising. The sofa-bed downstairs was what you might expect from such a contraption--and not an iota more.

Our trip being mid-winter, we relied on the forced hot air system for warmth--and it failed us. Cold downstairs, warm upstairs. One thermostat served both levels. Poor planning resulted in the thermostat's placement right next to the incandescent under-cabinet lighting in the kitchen, giving the thermostat a false indication of room temperature, which further exacerbated the room temperature problem. And the entire living area was serviced by only two hot-air outlets, whose necessarily high output velocity made for a LOT of noise.

An interior court features a decent-size pool and a hot tub. Lots of chaises there. I understand that there's also a exercise place on-campus, but I didn't look for it.

Atmosphere: The guests reminded me of a Carnival cruise; that is to say, many seemed to be a bit rough around the edges. This may have had to do with the undeniable fact that our stay was during a public school vacation week. It was loud. Lots of kids running through the halls, shouting, banging on doors, etc. Fun for them, but cost us sleep.

Some more plusses: The Cove is not lacking in facilities: outdoor tennis, indoor and outdoor pools, and perhaps more stuff not previously mentioned or known to me. The housekeeping staff was intensely courteous and efficient. Everything we saw was spotless.

Factoring the good things, the disappointments, and the price, we can give The Cove a C+.

Room Tip: Many rooms overlook and are almost directly above the indoor pool. They've got to be extremely n...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I've stayed at the Cove at Yarmouth countless times - with and without my children and have never been disappointed. I'm not a time share owner but simply someone who wants the comforts of home wrapped in a hotel stay.

A few years ago The Cove began renovating the rooms and they look fantastic. The nautical theme has been pulled off with aplomb and the level of comfort is impeccable. The indoor pool is generous in size and comfort.

We will continue to return.

Room Tip: The Cove's complex is large. If traveling with children, ask for a town home on the second floo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Worcester, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This is my second time staying at the Cove as we stayed in March of 2007. We decided to go to the Cape for New Years eve and get out for a couple of days. The first impression of the front desk was pleasant as they were smiling and welcoming. The second was the awful parking situation. Yes there were at full capacity, but it would be helpful if they had enough parking for rooms, assigned parking, something. We had to unload in a handicapped spot and park over in the parking area near the rec center. Its not that big of a problem, however, with the temperatures being so low, it wasn't exactly pleasant. Our room was nice and clean, just enough space for the 2 of us. The sheets were so soft and the bed, comfortable. The towels could have benefited from some kind of fabric softener as they were stiff and itchy. We tried to pull out the couch bed so we could watch tv in the living room, but it was dusty and the springs were poking out. Those certainly could be updated, or just don't offer pull outs if they are going to be of that quality for that kind of room. Was disappointed that, for the price, we had to pay $1.50 from a vending machine for coffee. At least 1 free bag would have been nice. Also, it is rare where you have to pay for WiFi anywhere anymore, even the most mom and pop hotels that I have stayed in recently did not require payment. We decided to use some of the things offered on this trip as we didn't much last trip. The indoor pool was so chlorinated that I didn't wish to put my head under, also it was COLD! We used the whirlpool, which was fine, but again, highly chlorinated. The free ping pong in the rec center was nice. This place seems to be geared more towards families as we were afraid to smoke anywhere near the building (which isn't really a problem) and quiet time is at 11 - which is fine, but it was New Years eve and still all day and night we heard children running up and down the hallways. I would stay here again as the rooms are really clean and that is just a comforting feeling. Also, I like the that doors lock at nighttime and no one can get in unless they have a key card. I wish that check out was around 11 instead of 10am, like most places.

Room Tip: although the townhouses are nice, we enjoyed staying in a suite this time. It was a much shorter wal...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Cove at Yarmouth? Share your experiences!