“superb!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Fairhaven, Massachusetts
“superb!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

State Road was a fantastic find. We had a superb dinner there two nights ago and found both the food and the service amazing. Yes, it's pricey, but that is true of everything on the island, and this restaurant was worth it. They also have a great wine list and many good ones available by the glass.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

massachusetts
“A quiet breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Aside from burning my fingers on the handle-free mug, everything was delicious and the service was first-rate. It was just eggs and bacon and coffee -- but they made it a perfect start to the day.

Visited July 2013
Boston
“Great food - Poor service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

This is on of our favorite places to eat on the island. Breakfast and lunch are great. We love the fried green tomato BLT, ricotta pancakes, and grits. Coffee drinks are also very good, especially the mocha.

Unfortunately the service is not so great. There are several friendly waitstaff, but there are also a handful that are outright rude. When placing our name on the waiting list for a table, it was several minutes of waiting in a crowded holding area before she finally looked up and wrote down my name. I made the mistake of mentioning that my daughter's meal had not come out yet and was snapped at with "I know that, It's coming," with a nasty smirk.

If it were not for the staff, this would be 5 stars!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“A delicious surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Finally! After years of complaining that the Vineyard restaurants and bakeries are "just good enough", but not as good as the equivalents off island, we found one that satisfies! We went here for my husbands 50th bday - lovely atmosphere, great service, and great food. We had the artisanal cheese plate to share for starters - four moderately sized portions served with crostini, mango chutney and honey. My husband had the striped bass entree, which he deemed excellent.
I am a vegetarian, and the chef put together a plate of different vegetable dishes - a ricotta gnocci, green beans, pureed corn, braised kale, and a spicy seitan sausage. Although the sausage had a slightly strange texture (too soft and weirdly silky), I was impressed that the chef even offered this, and the other dishes were excellent. (Many other restaurants on this island don't have even ONE vegetarian option). The dessert was perfect - a berry cobbler - and we took home some excellent chocolate that they make themselves too - the Oak Bar has 70% dark chocolate with candied pistachios and seasalt, as good as any artisanal chocolate I've had. It's not cheap, but way better than many of the other upscale restaurants on the island.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Baltimore, Maryland
“Service without a smile”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

We often eat here and think it's one if the better restaurants in the Island. The prices have definitely gone up and past few years and its no longer byob. I decided to get a $20 hamburger because everyone around me had ordered it and it smelled really good. I must admit it was one of the best burgers I've had recently. My husband had a chicken dish that was equally delicious. Our only disappoint was that our waiter had no personality whatsoever. He was not engaging, barely spoke and never checked in on us. Other waiters we've had in the past though were friendly. I would visit again and try other dishes. It is a loud lively place.

• Visited July 2013