“The best Hostel I have been to in US” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Hostelling International - Martha's Vineyard to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
Hostelling International - Martha's Vineyard
Edgartown-West Tisbury Road 525, P.O.Box 3158, West Tisbury, Martha's Vineyard, MA 02575   |
Boston, Massachusetts
“The best Hostel I have been to in US”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

This hostel stays half a mile from West Tisbury where you may easily access public transportation. It is very clean in and out, and well maintained. Everything functions great. No wonder after I learned this hostel is the first in US that was built as a hostel.

The hostel has a comprehensive big kitchen that may compare with that in a restaurant! And in particular, the super kind and helpful Donnie and Mike will have coffee, hot pancakes, oatmeal, and toast ready there in the morning!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

26 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

A buddy and I stayed at this hostel for 2 nights, checking in during the off-season on Friday 9-27-13. I've never stayed at a hostel before so I was not expecting much, but I was pleasantly surprised with the accommodations and the staff.

The hostel is very expensive, all things considered with Martha's Vineyard accommodations ranging much, much higher than this place. I'm not a hostel member and my total invoice per night was only $38. Hostel members save roughly $3 per night.

The hostel is centrally located and there is a MV transit bus stop directly in front of the property. We did not ferry our car over and took advantage of the MV transit authority bus system to get around the island. A 3 day bus pass was only $21 per person. You could opt to ferry your bike over with you which would be another great alternative for getting around if you don't mind biking a lot.

The hostel is really clean and at this time of year (the off-season) and there were not that many guests. Lots of different rooms with multiple bunk beds in each room. My room (2nd floor) was very large and had about 20 beds (bunk style) but only 5 people sleeping in the room. They do offer rooms family/group rooms for guests who want more privacy. My floor had a men's and women's bathroom. The men's room had a countertop with 3 sinks, 2 private curtained shower stalls and 2 private closed door toilet rooms.

Breakfast was awesome! The staff made pancakes. I helped myself to the coffee, oatmeal (with toppings), toast (with toppings). There were 2 or 3 stoves which you are free to use to cook meals, a microwave oven, a refrigerator to store your groceries, and plenty of seating in the kitchen. It's a very large room.

There is a living room to sit down and read or use the computer. There are plenty of books and magazines to use. There is complimentary wifi.

If you like jogging/running/biking, just out back there are paved and unpaved trails. I ran a 7 mile loop one morning on this trail.

I'm already thinking about next season and making reservations to bring my family along with me next time.

Room Tip: If you have a family, ask about their private rooms. Otherwise, just pick an open bed in any of the...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This is one of the best hostels I have been in: very friendly staff, warm atmosphere, cosy and charming rooms and awesome pancakes at breakfast in the morning. The communal area is very nice too.
The only annoying bit is the location, as you have to either take the bus or ride a bike to go anywhere on the island (which can be annoying if you want to go to busier areas in the evening to have a drink/dinner). However the experience of taking the bus is part of charm of the island, bus drivers are very friendly and will bring you where you ask them to.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Huntington, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I am flexible when I travel, and I am not to the point of needing 5 Star accomodations. Never in the places I stay, usually, for long, anyway. Love this place! Yummy pancakes in A.M., brewed coffee, served with love by the charming Danielle, comfy and clean beds and showers, the downstairs women's baths sporting Impressionist paintings (sorta) made by local children. Who needs the Ritz?
Innkeeper Donny and hubby provide a welcoming reception bar none and are fonts of info about the Island. Bus stop right across the street to take you wherever you wish, more or less.
Feel immediately at home here, although I have only a night or two before my fishing boat returns to Montauk. Still, I feel as if I have family on this lovely Island once I walk in the door of this woodsy outpost. Always something to read at the voluminous lending library in the lounge area; fireplace, also, though I don't know if it works...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I loved the hostel and my time on Martha's Vineyard. It is beautiful. However, I contracted Lyme Disease from a tick bite that I got while biking between the hostel and Edgartown during my stay there. At the time I didn't think anything of the bite, and only realized when I got severe symptons (headaches, neck stiffness, paralysis on the left side of my face) several weeks later. There is a warning sign in one of the bathroom that I overlooked, but please make sure to listen and take it seriously. In retrospect, I would have covered myself with insect spray, inspected my body every day for any sort of bite, and gone to the hospital and the first sign of any symptoms. Please be careful.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Lowell, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stayed here from July 22 to the 24, and had a great time. We rented a private room for 2, which had a fan in the window, bunk beds, and a little nightstand. The rooms were small, but we were really only there to change and sleep, so they did the trick. The beds aren't super comfortable, but they work just fine.

The staff was great, and very helpful. You can buy food or bus passes at the front desk. While far away from the beaches/tourist attractions, there is a bus stop literally across the street. We had also rented bikes for our stay in Martha's Vineyard, and it's about an hour ride to get to a beach.

We didn't use the kitchen to cook, but we did partake in the delicious pancakes they offered every morning. They also have tea and coffee available. There was a great common room with a lot of books and a free computer.

I definitely recommend this place for anyone who wants to go to Martha's Vineyard and save some money. It has everything you need for a great stay. We're already thinking of staying here next year!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

This is one of my most positive youth hostel stays. Staff were great, really want to help you enjoy your stay and visit the island. great source of information. The hostel is 7 miles out of Edgartown, accessible by a bus once an hour till 10pm. With a little planning you can really get around the island by bus and bike. I choose the breakfast option of instant oatmeal, but pancakes were available. Bathrooms clean and spacious. Beds comfortable.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hostelling International - Martha's Vineyard? Share your experiences!