“STAY AWAY! Especially for wedding room blocks” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in West Springfield
Westfield, MA
“STAY AWAY! Especially for wedding room blocks”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Horrible experience at this hotel for a number of reasons. Terrible service (especially from manager Isabel Gil), attitude, dirty rooms, very dated.

I reserved a block of rooms at the Clarion for my wedding, as well as a suite for my husband and I. I asked to see the suite beforehand, made an appointment, came to the hotel and waited 25 minutes to speak with Isabel. She proceeded to show us a dirty room since the staff had not had a chance to clean it. For our inconvenience, she promised us the suite at the discounted rate. When I arrived at the hotel at 11:30 pm (in my wedding dress), Isabel refused to honor the rate and stood there arguing with me. Myself and my guests received ridiculous attitude from all of the front desk staff.

In addition, my guests ran into problems when they called to book their rooms, including being told that they were not allowed to get the discounted rate unless they provided an out of state area code...local phone numbers were not accepted for the room block rate. What?? We were also told that the bar closes at 2:00, but when we got there at 11:30 everything was closed and we were not able to hang out. Overall the hotel is very dirty and dated, and the staff is very rude. I very much regret having the Clarion as any part of my wedding.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Southington, Connecticut, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

The hotels not as bad as alot of these reviews say,however its obvious its an older property that needs updating!! It WAS clean!! The service WAS friendly!! The room was sorta ghetto but served its purpose though 4 the $89.95-$129.95 they charge u can stay elsewhere &get better. (avoid the w.springfield comfort inn n econolodge)

Room Tip: rooms in atrium bigger
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Halifax, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

When we pulled into the front of the hotel, I was a bit worried especially that area of the city was a bit sketchy. After heading into the lobby of the hotel, I was pleasantly surprised at the inside. The staff was very nice and accomodating. After we got the key, we drove around to the back of the hotel to where our room was located. The hallway inside smelt like urine. The elevators were a bit scary as well. We got our room #3315 and the room was ok, the beds were small. We had asked if they had 2 queen beds, but, apparently the hotel doesn't have queen beds.

The breakfas that was available was good, but the waffles were amazing, I love those waffle machines!!

All in all, not terrible, but I would choose a different part of town next time.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel unless this is all that is available.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
plymouth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

front desk was very helpful. we enjoyed the pool, continental breakfast. beds were very comfortable. we were there to visit sprinfield museums with dr sues, statues. convenietly located.

Room Tip: i prefer rooms away from the pool, but that is definitly a personal requirement
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

This hotel looks like it was probably a great hotel back in the 80s, but it has steadily gone downhill since then - at least in some areas. The lobby is indeed dated but is relatively nice and shiny and appears adequate. The girl at the desk was very friendly. Through the lobby I got a peek at the atrium and courtyard where the restaurant is, and it looked pretty neat. The first sign of a problem is after you pay and get into your car to drive to the guest parking area. The area was formerly gated, but the gate arms were removed and all of the signs and electronic equipment was left out there to let you know that at least there was formerly security. This is actually one of the first hotels in a while where I actually removed all of my valuables from the rental car. Same with the card entry into the building - after swiping my card a few times I realized that the security thing didn't even work and you could just open the door and walk in. And then you can get in the ancient elevator that has an expired elevator certification posted. In all fairness, the room was fine for my purposes after I turned the air on for a while. It has not been remodeled and the bathroom looks very dated, but it seems clean. For a one night stay I guess I would stay again if the price is right, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Troy, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Was here in June, and I really liked the hotel. Its a very cool hotel. There is a heated indoor pool and jacuzzi right next to a tropical themed bar. The workers were extremely helpful, and Crystal, the front desk lady, went wayyyy out of her way to accommodate my special requests. The free continental breakfast exceeded my expectations. Best I've had actually. Some of the rooms event come with balconies and tables looking out over the pool. This hotel exceeded my expectations and we will definately be staying here again.

Room Tip: Get a pool side room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Ellicott City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

Let's see. I drive back across 4 speed bumps to find a hotel which looks fine in the lobby. But, rooms are dated to say the least and have a room on the "business floor" where the business lounge is closed with paper across the door, the indoor pool is closed, the fitness center, well you will find better, the restaurant and bar at the indoor pool are closed as well.
Oh let's go the the sports bar at 6PM and no one is in it, including staff. They say they have dinner specials, but if you want anything not fried pass.
My TV guide says I numerous channels. Well I don't have NBC or CBS or at least 7 other channels they say I should have.
This place may be on it's last legs.

Room Tip: tower rooms
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to Clarion Hotel? Share your experiences!