“What a difference a year makes...and not a good one...” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 20%
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in West Springfield
Boston, Massachusetts
“What a difference a year makes...and not a good one...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Arrived after making my reservation nearly a year in advance, to be told that my reservation had been lost. I have the print down to prove it. Nonetheless, they had no room for us, and suggested they might be able to get us a room at Econolodge,-owned by the same people - which I declined, as it is now used to house welfare recipients. Was just looking for the same service we had a year ago...and a spacious upscale place to relax after a busy day at a 'Horse Event'
NOT.
The front desk manager was surly and not in the least, apologetic. We were both stunned!
We were blessed, indeed, to find better lodgings on very short notice. Candlewood Suites- you need a Staff Upgrade, and someone with computer skills might be a plus. I hope you read this and clean up your act!. We won't be back.

Room Tip: Try another hotel!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
SuffieldCTSd, Manager at Candlewood Suites, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear DressagePrincess22,
I truly apologize for your experence here at the Candlewood Suites. When talking with the Front desk about the situation the confusion came in when the name on the reservation and the name given were not the same so they believed you did not have reservation here, if they had taken the time to listen to you everything would have been fine. Again I do apologize and I really do hope you give us another chance.

Susan Daley,GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Hervey Bay, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We arrived in the lobby to be greeted by a very friendly lady in Reception. I wondered why at the time there were a few women with children standing around the lobby, and I can only assume that some people actually live there. Rooms appeared clean and tidy, but I was a bit put off when I saw that the people next door had a dog with them. No breakfast supplied, but there are some items of food in a room where it is self serve and an honor payment system. Close to iHop which we found a great place to eat.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This is by no means an attempt to seriously downgrade the Candlewood Suites but rather an effort to help other travelers put this hotel in proper perspective. When we first went looking to reserve a room in West Springfield I believe this hotel was rated second (now it appears to be fifth) and after our first night there I couldn't understand why. I ended up concluding it must be because of the differing needs of those who had reviewed the hotel. And in that regard, the most pertinent factor may be that this hotel tends to cater to those staying longer periods of time. We were only there a total of five nights and as a result the hotel's procedure of cleaning the rooms just once a week didn't bode well with us. Nor did our having to each night carry our old towels down to the front desk to exchange them for clean one. You see, we got back to the hotel rather late each day after a hard day's work. And their not more regularly maintaining the room also led to our coming back one night only to find an obnoxious smell emanating from the bathroom, likely through the vents, and after we told them about it they did indeed take steps to alleviate the situation but again their not regularly visiting the room resulted in our finding the room in similar condition (if not as serious) on subsequent nights. And getting back each night so late led us to end up simply enduring the situation rather than trying to correct it. Similarly, none of the clocks in the room had the correct time. We could have readily changed them (instead of ignoring them) but would have felt a little odd also correcting the one in the lobby near the elevator. And while it's likely our own fault we didn't know they don't offer breakfast each morning there's probably no way we could have known how irregularly they appear to stock the food in their store. So for those staying shorter periods of time and appreciating more attentive oversight of accommodations, this hotel doesn't appear the most appropriate selection.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

In West Springfield for a dog show. Stayed here with a friend and our two small dogs. Great value for the price for this all-suite property. Full kitchen and large rooms. Rooms were very clean. Great, safe location, close to many restaurants, shopping, etc! I do wish they would provide maid service as requested, but only provide it on certain days. If your stay doesn't happen to be on one of those days, you'll have to ask for fresh towels at the front desk - not a big deal - but a little inconvenient. No breakfast is provided, so be sure to stock the fridge with your own food. Would have been nice if they at least offered a continental breakfast on site. I guess they don't because there is an IHOP within walking distance - but still. I do recommend this hotel to others and would, definitely stay here again despite those minor inconveniences.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Boston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We were here in 2010, 2011 and had a great experience. This time not so much, except for the lovely lady at the front desk. Conditions are filthy and sub par. Our room was dirty, food left in refrigerator and hair in the toilette from the guest before. Plus the toliette barely worked properly. Lots and lots of familes "living" there, and a bunch of guys hanging out in front smoking and drinking right outside the front entrance, every night. Did not feel safe at all. Too bad, for it had been wonderful. I saw one poor woman who had traveled from Africa to visit her daughter, who had reservations, arrived exhausted to find out there were no rooms left! How dare they! I cannot recommend nor ever visit again. The lovely young lady at the front desk has too much class to work there. Any up-scale hotel would be happy to have her.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Ludlow, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

First time staying at this hotel, and very pleased with the experience, overall.
Staff at the desk was very pleasant and efficient. I loved the room.
It was nicely furnished and VERY CLEAN. The large desk area and the
high-speed internet connection were great for working on the computer.
Bed was very comfortable. Even though there was a lot of activity in the lobby and hallways, the room was still very quiet. I was at the point in my trip where I needed to do laundry in order to have clean clothes to wear to work the next day. It was very convenient that they provide self-service laundry facilities for guests. Unfortunately, most of the washers and dryers had "out of order" signs on them so that made it harder to get the wash done when other guests were trying to use the laundry at the same time and there were only 2 working sets of machines. Also, the laundry area was dark at night, as there didn't seem to be any switch to turn on the ceiling lights.
I had a very comfortable and enjoyable stay of only 1 night this time, but I will be back!
On future visits, I hope to make use of the very well-equiped kitchenette in the room.
I highly recommend this hotel for excellent service & amenities at a resonable price.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Springfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

i stay here often and think the hotel is great! the staff,especially catherine so very nice and helpful! catherine has gone out of her way to help me and make sure my stay was great. she deserves a raise!! no matter what room i am in it is clean and comfortable. love having kitchen in room. great location.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to Candlewood Suites? Share your experiences!