“Buyer Beware! Bad Booking Experience” 1 of 5 stars

Cape Cod Fiddlers Green Inn
2.5 of 5 Inn   |   79 Route 28, PO Box 667, West Harwich, Harwich, MA 02671   |
Ranked #6 of 7 West Harwich B&B and Inns
Old Saybrook, Connecticut
“Buyer Beware! Bad Booking Experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I am very disappointed with the B&B owners (Jack and Eileen) of the Fiddlers Green B&B and I am writing this review to warn others so they do not find themselves in a similar situation. Basically, I had a very similar experience that happened to another reviewer (Markaw77).

I booked a room in January 2013, directly over the phone with Eileen for a 2 night July stay. Eileen was very pleasant over the phone and told me that since I was so early to book a room, I was to get their best room for $150 per night. My credit card was charged for $300 back in January in advance of our stay.

I called the Inn 2 weeks ago to confirm my stay. Eileen answered and she told me she did not have any record on my reservation for me and she needed to "research" her files. She called me back within 30 minutes to say that she found my information, but she claimed she thought she never "charged my credit card" and there is no reservation for me. Meantime, I had found my statement as proof that I paid. She then said that there were no rooms available at the Fiddlers Green B&B, but that she could put me up at their "sister" B&B, the Claddagh Inn.

After I hung up, I read the Tripadvisor reviews on the Claddagh (which are not at all favorable)and immediately called the owners back to cancel my reservation and to request my full refund. Eileen told me that they had a "21 day cancellation policy" (the day I called was actually 21 days from my upcoming reserved stay) and she needed proof that my card was actually charged. I told her that I would scan my statement, emailed her the proof and I formally cancelled my reservation and requested my refund.

Meantime, I decided to check the cancelation policy that Expedia, Orbitz and Travelocity have when you book through them. Now I became very upset and angry to find that the Fiddlers Green Inn actually had 2 rooms available when I used the SAME DATES for my stay and their booking cancelation policy was only 14 days! The price for the rooms were $175 - $179. So it appears that these owners were unwilling to honor my prepaid reservation which was fully paid for because they thought they could sell the 2 rooms at a higher rate. The rates for The Claddagh Inn are priced at $150, but the rooms are much smaller and furthermore, I had already paid for a stay at the Fiddlers Green Inn, not a second class establishment.

I did not receive a confirmation email to my cancelation request so I had to send 2 other emails as follow-up the following week. I then called the owners midweek and Jack indicated that my refund was "taken care of". I waited a full week and when I still never received any confirmation, I called my credit card company to claim a formal dispute. I sent another email to Fiddlers Green Inn to inform them that I placed a dispute and that I expected a refund. This triggered a response! I did receive a phone message back from Eileen. She indicated that she did process my refund and she could not understand why I was so upset! She apologized for the misunderstanding, but she never admitted to the fact that they actually had rooms available at The Fiddlers Green Inn even though they wanted to place me at their "sister" B&B.

I ended up securing a local hotel in the area for my stay. Meantime, as I write this review, I can still today see that the Fiddlers Green B&B still has 1 room available for the dates I wanted! I don't understand why this establishment would lie to their guests.

Room Tip: If you do choose the book a room, do NOT book directly with the owners. Use a travel web site as at...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Brookline, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Beware, poorly run and unprofessional establishment. I made a reservation by phone in July, and was given the name of the room reserved for me. I spoke with an older man who answered the phone, ans seems to have difficulty understanding me. He did take my credit card and charged it with a deposit.

I went to check in Fri Aug 3rd. There was no one to greet us. I called from the phone in the hallway and was told to go to Tiki Bar at The Claddagh. I walked over, waded through the smokers, and spoke with the bartender, who told me I was in the wrong place. I went back to the Fiddlerrs Green, spoke withe same older man, and they had no record of the reservation. The place was full, so I had to scramble to find another Hotel.

See the description by nydp2003. Our experience matches that, though I booked directly.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Needham, MA USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

Just got back from a 4 night/5 day stay. LOVED IT!! We booked our reservation directly with Jack, the owner and everything went very smoothly. He was friendly, professional and courteous, both on the phone and via email. (nydp2003 review was unfair because they booked through hotels.com They should have booked directly, like we did.) There are 3 rooms available and we chose the Caribbean Room. Tastefully decorated and clean. A mini fridge outside our room was perfect for beer and leftovers. The bathroom is modern (the house is only 12 years old) with a big vanity outside the large bathroom with large tub/shower. This big colonial home is nestled in a pine grove behind the Irish Claddagh Inn (which also has several rooms and is also owned by the same family). The Fiddler Green has a beautiful pool in the backyard surrounded by green grass, hydrangeas and lovely perennials. There are 3 cute dogs if you like their company (they helped us not to miss our dogs so much). We spent a few hours lounging around the pool in comfy chaise lounges. The rooms are very quiet.and we loved the experience. A nice feature is that there's an Tiki Bar outside, next door at the Irish Claddagh Inn. It also has a pool which you're welcomed to use while enjoying a drink. There's also a cozy bar downstairs at The Claddagh and we enjoyed Open Mike night - they also have Karoke some nights. You can eat at The Tiki Bar or in the restaurant/bar - I highly recommend the Crab Cakes which come with coleslaw or the Mozzarella Sticks. Emily and Sarah, the bartenders make you feel right at home (as do the Connell's who own both inns). Prices are fair, breakfasts are huge - can't say enough good things about Cape Cod Fiddlers Green Inn! Once you stay at this B&B, you'll never stay at a motel again! This area is convenient to both Dennis and Chatham. We especially liked the Seal Watch - boat leaves from Marina near Brax restaurant (great food!)

Room Tip: Hotels.com has the pictures reversed. There's a Caribbean Room decorated with aqua walls and se...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Mount Crawford, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

We had booked a three night stay at the Fiddlers Green in order to attend a high school reunion. We had a wonderful time--the Inn was very clean, room was comfortable and spacious and the hosts were great! We had a wonderful breakfast prepared for us each morning and enjoyed talking to the other guests that were staying there. I have not been back to the Cape in over 30 years and Eileen and Jack were very patient while answering my questions about where places were located, what beaches were open to the public, and directions on how to get to where we wanted to go. What a wonderful place to stay!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Lausanne, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

We had a great stay in this inn on a trip to visit cape cod. The owners, Eileen and Jack are very friendly and cook a great breakfast. Our room had a nice bed, was quiet (We were the only guests, though, so we cannot judge what it is if the inn is busier)
In the morning we got breakfast accompanied with Irish music in a room filled with Irish parafernalia.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Fiddlers Green last fall. We have stayed several times on the cape, but never at the Fiddlers Green. The room was georgeous, and the breakfast gourmet. The oeners Eileen and Jack were very friendly and courteous. We would stay there again. The restaurant at the Claddah Inn next door has very good food. I am sure you will not be unhappy with your decision to stay there.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Ellington, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2010

My husband and I hav lived in Ct. for 32 years and had never been to the cape. We decided to take a trip there with absolutely no particular destination in mind except to hopefully find some rail trails and scenic beaches. We traveled along route 28 onto the cape and found a beautiful public beach in Harwich. We also found a booklet listing travelers' useful information i.e. hotels, restaurants etc. In the booklet was an ad for Claddagh Inn and Tavern. We called the inn and spoke to Cathy and inquired about a room for the evening. She recommended that we stay at the Fiddler's Green Inn, even though her establishment had available rooms, directly behind her establishment as it would be quieter. We agreed and arrived an hour later. Eileen and Jack own and operate the Fiddler's Inn and they could not have been more gracious. The outside of the property was meticulously manicured as was the inn on the inside. We had a lovely room that was very clean, spacious and quiet. It had great amenities such as a hair dryer, luxurious towels, shampoo, conditioner and my personal favorite, eye maker remover, for the guests convenience. We fully expected to stay only one evening and perhaps explore another part of the cape. Luckily, Jack and Eileen suggested we try the Claddagh Inn at the front of the property for a cocktail and possible dinner. These two properties are owned and operated by the same family, with the parents in charge of Fiddler's and Cathy in charge of Claddagh. The bar/dining room is in the lower half of Claddaghs. It is intimate and very much a local hangout. My husband and I walked in and there were about six or eight people at the bar all talking. For a moment everyone went silent and I responded "Don't tell me we have killed the conversation?" With that everyone began introducing themselves and asking us about ourselves. My husband and I had thought we would be there only for a short cocktail and then perhaps move on to another restaurant for dinner but that never happened. We felt so comfortable and welcome we wound up staying for over four hours. We both had delicious sea food meals (Scallops and fish and chips), very fresh, and had our first glimpse of karaoke! What a fun evening it turned out to be. As more people enterd the bar they all stopped to speak to us and made sure we were having a good time. The next morning we did indeed visit other areas of the cape but returned in the evening to Fiddler's. Jack and Eileen were in the bar having dinner when we arrived and we spent the evening exchanging stories about our travels here in the U.S. and in Ireland. We couldn't have had more fun if we had been with our best friends for the night. I have read one bad review of the Fiddler's but I assure you somewhere along the line there must have been some miscommunication because Eileen and Jack are not the kind of people to hang up on anyone. I think anyone staying here will have a great time and they should definitely visit the bar at Claddaghs even if it is only for dinner becuase you will come away smiling at all the warmth and comraderie you will find there. There is some kind of entertainment every evening so the day of the week will not really matter. Try it you are going to like it.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Cape Cod Fiddlers Green Inn? Share your experiences!