“Great experience” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Other, Adventure
Nutley, New Jersey
“Great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Always makes me laugh when I read reviews from people that can't kayak and somehow blame that on the rental place!? This is a terrific place, the equipment is top of the line, the staff is knowledable and courtious and the water and area is beautiful and natural...not altered much by man, just a natural wildlife area. Yes, you can run aground (as you can anywhere if you do not know how to paddle a kayak) but some people may be better off in a pool on a floaty and not out by themselves, in the great outdoors.
My children have been kayaking on their own since they were able to hold a paddle and they did fine and we were thrilled with our time on the water!
Thanks again for the great day and we will be back again in a few weeks!

Visited June 2013

South Windsor, Connecticut
5 attraction reviews
“Get river conditions before you go out! No Refunds!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I was very disappointed on my family kayaking excursion. I will preface this review stating that all of the employees were very nice, cordial and helpful. Now I will state that we rented two tandem kayaks with a third seat. I was in one boat with two small children and my wife was in another with a small child. Mind you I had to do a little convincing in the first place to get the wifey out there. After this it's probably no going to happen again! When I went in to pay and get our tickets I overheard that the cruise ships engine was broken and trying ot be prepared. This later lead me to believe this was part of the reason they didn't disclose the conditions to us.
No one said anything to us about the river conditions being adverse!
everything was great until we got into the water. We were told to "hug" the coast because it would be easier to navigate. Ha! Hugging the coast lead to getting stuck in the shin deep water!
Additionally the wind was very strong which made it very difficult to make much progress up the river. The only "safe" place was the boat channel which is where you shouldn't be while kayaking because I knew I wouldn't bottom out!
I ended up getting stuck 5 times because of the shallow water. One of the times I sat there with my children for about 10 minutes because I was soo frustrated. I actually watched a woman get out of her kayak and walk it back to the launching area!
Out of the 1.5 hrs we had my wife made it a half an hour and I made it about 1 hr. This was due to the fact that I had to make a huge "u" to get back to the launching area so as to not bottom out!
When I brought this up to the people at the front desk they "apologized" and said they had noticed and heard that it was difficult due to the wind and the shallow water! That would have been nice to know don't you think!! He also stated that there were no refunds or anything else he could do because it said it on their sign in the store.
Overall, a bad experience due to bad conditions and not being informed. Nice people, good equipment, area could be nice if able to be seen. But most of all I would say Poor Customer Service because this was an issue that most were having. They should have given some form of return credit or something. Ask before you go out.

Visited July 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great customer service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

My wife and I were impressed by their customer service. When we went to their store yesterday, all the kayaks had been stored for the off-season. In fact, we just caught the owner as he was closing the shop. He went out of his way to rent us a tandem, and then stay at the shop until we had completed our paddle. He could have told us that the shop was closed, but he didn't. We had an enjoyable 90 minute paddle upriver.

Visited October 2012
Danbury, Connecticut
“What fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

First time kayaking - one single for me (mom), dad and 8 yr old daughter did a 2 person. The guy who checked us in was super knowledgeable. At the put out location the kids working there were efficient and knowledgeable as well. The trip was great (except my shoulders got tired). We saw 2 osprey in a nest. Tons of ridiculously expensive homes and boats. Lots to look at. We'd do it again in a heartbeat. We used a coupon for $1 off and a free half hour!

Visited August 2012
Croton on Hudson, New York
14 attraction reviews
“Terrific excursion out to the Sound”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

Good location, excellent equipment, reasonable price. A fun few hours on the water.

Visited May 2012