“Great steak tips” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Family Fare
Central Massachusetts
“Great steak tips”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Very busy all the time here - a local hang out. Bar and pool table combined with a small restaurant seating area - guess everyone knows your name.
I had the steak tip salad that was so good I got it again as a take out a couple nights later. Hubby had a steak sandwich, which he liked. A friend with us had the Mac & Cheese, which he gets often - said it is very good.
When I got the take out, Hubby got the house special pizza. I had one piece - thought it was good - and he liked it - but he is not used to all the oil they used and he visited the john quite a bit the next day.
Went there a couple days later for a function - they had wings - which were good - not great, not bad - but good.
All in all, I will be back - no complaints. But you can be sure I'll be considering the steak tips.
Waitresses were harried it was so busy so weren't as attentive as I would have liked but they did nothing WRONG.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

North Brookfield, Massachusetts
“Friendly neighborhood hangout with delicious made-to-order food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

I was very surprised to see the negative comments listed about this restaurant. Not to say those people did not have those experiences, but only that my husband and I have only ever had WONDERFUL experiences at Ye Olde Tavern.

We moved to New England about 7 months ago and struggled to find a place with good food that didn't cost a fortune. We tried YOT on a whim, and have since gone back multiple times, and even taken our out-of-town guests to eat there.

YOT is not a "fancy" or "upscale" restaurant. It's a pub; it has a pool table, a bar, a jukebox, and the decor is eclectic. However, it is clean, cozy, and seems to be where the town congregates during the evening. It reminds me of the old sitcom Cheers - a place where everyone knows your name. People come to drink (but I have NEVER seen anyone who was "drunk" or behaved in any loud, obnoxious, or obscene manner), to eat with their family, including their kids (who have always been well-behaved while we were there), and to pick up to-go orders.

We have had several different waitresses over the times we have gone - all of them have been very pleasant and attentive. Even when we have had less experienced "new" waitresses, they have been very nice and gone out of their way to take care of us.

The food has always been good. Word of advice, however - do not go here if you are in a hurry. They cook everything to order, so it takes longer than it would at other restaurants. While some may find this an inconvenience, I actually like it - I can customize things to my liking. And, the food is worth the wait.

Let me just say - the quesadilla appetizer will ruin all other quesadillas for you! They come out piping hot, perfectly crisp, stuffed to the brim with cheesy, meaty deliciousness! Just typing about them is making my mouth water. I have also had their fried pickles. To be honest, I usually hate fried pickles (gasp, the horror, I know) but I actually really enjoyed the ones here.

YOT is also one of the only places I have found that I can order my burger LESS than well-done. They will cook your hamburger TO YOUR LIKING, which is such a refreshing change of pace from most restaurants. Between my husband, our friends, family and I, we have tried lots of menu items: Potato Skins, Salads, Chowder, BBQ Burger, Chicken Sandwich, Fish & Chips, Chicken & Broccoli Alfredo, Chicken Pot Pie, Meat Loaf, Steak Tips, Delmonico Steak, Pork Chops, American Chop Suey, and some of their non-menu daily specials.

Overall, it is wonderful food. Personally, the Chop Suey (kind of like a sweet, non-spicy version of Hungarian Goulash) was way too sweet for my taste, and the Pork Chops were cooked a little too dry, but on the whole, this restaurant has become a staple for us. We keep going back - not just for the food, but for the atmosphere and the service. We get the package deal here. I am sorry that others who posted on here did not have the same experience we routinely receive. I can only speak from my own experiences and urge people to at least give this place a try. I think you will find that it is a little gem in West Brookfield!

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Westbrook, Connecticut
“Maybe it is good for Pizza?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

The name and actual building make you think it is a nicer establishment than what it is.This is basically a noisy dirty old bar trying to do dinner. I rarely give a bad review but this one justifies one! I don't know where to begin so I wont just trust me spend your money elsewhere anywhere just not here. For a few dollars more go to the Salem Cross Inn, far superior in all aspects.

• Visited September 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“Ye Olde Attitude!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We had contacted the restaurant months prior to our visit to confirm separate checks would not be a problem since we were a big group of couples and friends dining together. Our contact had indicated it would not be a problem, however on our arrival we were met with nothing but attitude from our waitress. Her response was "I don't thinks so!!" insert attitude here. Even when asked to consult with her superior we got "I don't thinks so, its NOT happening" Since many of us had just brought credit cards because we had been informed separate checks would not be a problem , we were going to go elsewhere when the manger came out and said she would "just get it done". The food took quite some time over 1 hr for salads and pizza, the restaurant was not sufficiently air conditioned with the two ancient window a/cs . It was probably about 80 degrees in the restaurant. The food however was delicious and plentiful and the price was reasonable. Which is the only reason this place got two stars. The attitude was unbearable and will NOT be going back unless I am in the mood for a plate of attitude served by a waitress dripping sweat all over everything.

Visited July 2013
SpecialK55
“Thin Crust Pizza, Draft Beer, I'm Happy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

We dropped in on our way home from Sturbridge, an historic town in Western MA. We knew of the Tavern because of informal "reviews" by our grown sons and their friends, who frequently praised the pizza and beer.

They were right. We prefer our pizza crust thin and our ingredients fresh. The fresh basil/tomato with white sauce was far from disappointing! With the draft beer accompaniment, this was perfect for yet another day of our heat wave.

If you find your self in this historic area and in the mood for something really local, not touristy, check this out.

• Visited July 2013