Honeysuckle Hill is tucked away off of Route 6A on a tiny little gravel drive called Wisteria Lane. Arriving at sunset, the house was lit up like something from a travel postcard.
Many people say that the Cape is losing it's charm - too many mini golf courses, over crowded beaches, traffic, t shirt shops. Honeysuckle Hill is the polar opposite of all those things.
I travel quite a bit - usually quick trips - and I stay in a variety of places. Bed and breakfasts, chain hotels, independently owned hotels, luxury hotels, boutique hotels. It takes a lot for a place to grab my attention and stand out as remarkable. This place is truly remarkable.
As you walk up to the porch you experience the beautiful landscaping, the inviting semi-circle of white Adirondack chairs, the carefully chosen decor, the weathered shingled siding, and the sprawling gentleness of the house. Stepping into the porch is like stepping into the perfect summer living room - white wicker furniture arranged in a way that is conducive to socializing, but also offers areas that provide intimacy for smaller groups. It is screened in allowing the breeze and the smells of summer to drift indoors. The living room is thoughtful, comfortable and tasteful. Artwork by local artists punctuates the living room and the rest of the house.
The dining room is cozy but easily seats 10 people with one large table in the middle, and 3 smaller tables skirting the perimeter.
Everything is a mix of traditional and historic, with comfort and modern amenities. My room - Morning Glory - was upstairs tucked away through a narrow hallway. The room was spacious - plenty of room to relax and unpack. There was more than enough space. Decorated in cool shades of green and white, it was very relaxing. The private bath was generously sized. The shower was particularly nice. Tiled in marble, classic brass shower head (there were lovely period brass fixtures throughout the whole house), a built in seat - it was narrow, but surprisingly comfortable and had plenty of room to maneuver.
The TV was small, but had all the channels I enjoy watching (including the Food Network). And, truth be told, this isn't the type of place where you want to cozy up in front of the TV.
Breakfast the first morning included: strawberry yogurt brulee, squash and zucchini frittata with homemade salsa, homemade banana bread, coffee, juice. Everything was delicious.
Breakfast the second morning included: fresh fruit cocktail, lemon ricotta pancakes, homemade blueberry bread, coffee, juice. Again - everything was fantastic.
This was technically a business trip, but I had a friend stay with me so we could enjoy the non-work time together. We enjoyed take out in the dining room, cocktails on the porch, and ended the evenings in the living room. There were only 2 other guests while we were there so everything felt very private and exclusive.
Nancy and Rick were the perfect hosts. They helped turn our takeout into a true dinner with plates, glasses, flatware and candlelight. They even accommodated our schedule by starting breakfast a half hour early on the morning we left.
I would absolutely stay here again. If you are looking for an escape, Honeysuckle Hill is the place. It is the perfect place for a romantic getaway, or just a solo relaxation getaway.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Selected as Best Mid-Cape B&B for 2008 by readers of Cape Cod Life magazine. Enchanting Cape Cod seaside Inn, circa 1810. Beautiful gardens, romantic setting where you will enjoy comfort and relaxation, unforgettable gourmet breakfasts, delightful guestrooms and gracious New England hospitality near beach, island ferries, fine restaurants, whale watches, antique shops, museums and all Cape Cod attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia and Tingo so you can book your Honeysuckle Hill reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Honeysuckle Hill Hotel West Barnstable
- Honeysuckle Hill West Barnstable, MA - Cape Cod