“Spotty?” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Blue Ginger is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 66 Restaurants in Wellesley
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Church St.
Transit: Commuter Rail to Wellesley Square
Description: Blue Ginger, located in Wellesley, brings urban dining and sophistication to the suburbs. In celebration of its 10-year anniversary, Blue Ginger expanded with a Rockwell Group-designed renovation, creating a chic, feng-shui inspired space with three distinct dining options. Enhancements include an updated main dining room in which to savor Ming's signature East-West cuisine, three private dining rooms, and the new Lounge at Blue Ginger, complete with cozy banquettes and a 10-stool granite bar. An Asian Tapas menu is served in the Lounge, featuring casual, shareable dishes like "Ming's Bings," Ming's East-West take on the burger. "Blue Ginger is unusual, not only because of the food or the room, but because it's a neighborhood restaurant of a type not found too often in the Boston area...those of us who live farther away will just have to travel now that the secret is out." --The Boston Globe *NOTE* Reservations are not accepted for The Lounge at Blue Ginger
Boston
“Spotty?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We have only been here twice, exactly two years apart so maybe others who go more often will have a different experience. The first time, December 2011, I took my husband for his 50th birthday. I let the restaurant know it was a special night, and made sure MIng Tsai was in the house that night. My husband and I, along with our two well behaved girls, were seated in a central location, received the best service, and Ming stopped by to sign a cookbook for my husband. The place was packed, operating at full staff, and we had a super night. The second time was the complete opposite. When we went (also on a friday night like last time) in Dec 2012, Ming was not there, the place was deserted, the Maitre D' glanced at the girls, and sat us in the furthest corner, IN AN UNHEATED ROOM, next to another family that had children. Are you kidding me? There were perhaps seven customers in total in this large restaurant, and they sat us in an empty unheated room, without so much as leaving a table between us and the other family? It was beyond atrocious. While I value their GF menu, and their signature lobster dish is excellent, I don't think I can find it in my heart to patronize Blue Ginger again after being treated so shabbily. There are too many good restaurants out there that value their customers whether the owner is present or not. Shame on you, BG!

• Visited December 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Boston, Massachusetts
“Overpriced and somwhat Elitist”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My wife took me here for my Birthday. While, I don't pretend to be a Epicure Master, I have eaten at thousands of restaurants, do know what good food is. My wife as excited tor try the place out, but at the end of the day, I was very disappointed.

I think this place is more of social beautiful people place, more so that fine dining. Folks go here to be seen. Reminds me of the 80's/90's Spago in LA/Beverly Hills. Famous chef, from his appearance on Iron Chef, runs the place, but sometimes is not there.

I found portions to be small, yet extremely pricey. I beleive my appetizer was close to $20 and my beer was $9. My meal tasted fine, but a the end of the night, even with dessert, I did not feel satisfied. My wife loved her meal and would go back. She is more than welcome to, with someone else.

At the end of the night, our bill for two people was almost $150 (with tax) before tip. The $150 included 2X appetizers, 2X entrees, 3 drinks, and 2 desserts. Normally for a nice night out, we spend ~$100 (w/tax) before tip.Blue Ginger Entrees average ~$30, but several are $40,none are less the $22.

I thought the place was noisy and tight.

Service was excellent.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Redding, Connecticut, USA
“Unique and Complex Offerings”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

I was invited to a cocktail reception at Ming Tsai's Blue Ginger and just had to go. The party was to promote Ming Tsai's newest PBS episodes of his show - with his latest trip to the Azores. Ming was there and he was a gracious host. He and his team made a great offering of Azores dishes, with Ming's added touch. I was happy to meet the chef and he was a very engaging nice man. Afterwards, I moved to the restaurant for dinner. The menu was really unique and fun, and I had a tough time making my choice from so many awesome options. The dishes were beautiful, the tastes complex and really unusual - but everything worked well. The service was very good and I loved the room. Nice sound - fun and active, but not too loud. I loved the open kitchen that went the entire length of the restaurant - visible to all. Great place! And - i had to buy a cookbook. My buddy cooks from Ming's first cookbook all the time and loves it - so I will try my hand as well.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Florida
“Cold in Wellesley”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

Food good, service great, tables on top of each other though. Hard to hold a conversation when tables around you are that close & loud. Otherwise great choice but come early.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Michigan City, Indiana
“Thank you, Santa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

On my Christmastime visit to the Boston area, Santa treated me to a meal at Ming Tsai's restaurant, Blue Ginger. It was a food fantasy come true. The four in our party all agreed that
the food was exceptional. Our server was very helpful and guided us through our drink choices (we went for a wonderful chilled sake'). Our party included a child and we were very happy to see the paper covered tables and crayons. Ming was also in and we had an engaging conversation with him about our food, his chefdom and the pleasures of dining at Blue Ginger.
I highly recommend trying this excellent restaurant.

• Visited December 2012