“Worst experience in the US” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Wellesley Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wellesley
Wellesley Bed & Breakfast
You added Wellesley Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
28 Eaton Court, Wellesley, MA 02481   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Wellesley B&B and Inns
Shanghai, China
“Worst experience in the US”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

My family of 4 came to Wellesley for my daughter's graduation. We stayed in this BnB from May 24 to 27. This was the first time my husband visited this area and my daughter booked this hotel for us since it was close to the college.

When my daughter booked the hotel, we were told to pay around 150 per day for suite and 130US for regular room. However when we checked out, she charged us 200US for each room and gave us the excuse of holiday season!

My husband was taking a nap in the afternoon when the lady pounding heavily on the door asking him to move our car. She was very rude.

Originally we booked three rooms for the last night. However, she only gave two rooms with one room havinga sleeping sofa. That room was supposed to be used by our relatives coming all the way from Canada and we'were so embrassed that we had to share the room. Worst of all, we were still charged for three rooms. Her attitude to my relatives were so bad that I never experienced in the States.

Another thing worth mention is since there is no air con in rooms, she said she'll compensate us by giving us a glass vase when we leave. But she didn't keep her word in the end.

Overall, we had such a bad experience here and wouldn't come back or recommend to anyone!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
WellesleyBnB, Owner at Wellesley Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, August 20, 2011
I am sorry that your visit was not a happy one.

Five vehicles fit easily in my driveway if all headlights are aimed at the fence, as instructed. I rarely ever have 5 vehicles here. That day, there were four vehicles in my driveway. I recall a guest knocking on your door for 15 minutes as they heard you talking and you refused to answer the door. I was asked for help. I also heard talking in your room as I knocked to request that you move your car which was blocking another vehicle.

I have window unit air conditioners during summer months in all guest rooms. I have not had any complaints about air conditioning, ever, and did not hear any complaints from you during your visit. It would have been a 5 minute task to place a window air conditioner unit into your window.

The gift that was offered to you was declined upon your departure. You complimented me on how beautifully and elegantly the dining room table was set and expecially liked my serving platters. You wanted to know where you could purchase a glass pedistal cake platter as was on my table. I offered it to you as a gift, because you were so nice, always full of compliments and smiling all the time. I honestly do not know where to purchase this item, since I have enjoyed it for many years.

Upon departure, you and your daughter carefully examined and reviewed the statement for lodging. There was a deduction and some additions due to change orders and extra services. Your final bill slightly exceeded the original confirmed reservation. You seemed to be in a hurry, so rather than running your credit card a second time for a small additional fee, I offered a small discount on the final bill. You signed the receipt upon departure and provided me a generous cash gratuity. I am shocked to see your review 3 months later, with complaints, since you always smiled and seemed pleasant to me.

I am in the hospitality business and hope to please every guest to ensure a relaxing and lovely experience. I welcome special requests and am very easy to communicate with. I take my business very seriously and enjoy what I do, meeting guests from around the world.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Mendham, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

Loved this B&B and will return. The bed was extraordinarily comfortable as were the pillows! More comfortable than any hotel or inn I have ever been in and probably more comfortable than my own bed.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

We had a wonderful time in Boston and I credit our enjoyment of our visit there to the kind and caring atmosphere which we found at our accommodation at this Bed and Breakfast. The rooms were spotless and so delightfully decorated! The food was excellent and bountiful - with Margot's flair for cooking coming through with every dish - all artistically presented. Each and every want we had was promptly looked after - maps, train schedules, and directions for walking to the train station. The Bed and Breakfast is in a great location - close to several restaurants and shops - and has excellent access to downtown Boston via the train. It is easy to find if you are driving - very direct access from major routes - and parking is free and on-site (at our hotel in Chicago on this trip we were charged $50 per night for parking onsite!). We loved the English Garden-style front yard, which was aglow at night with little lights winking among the flowers. Margot's attention to detail is outstanding - from slippers, flashlights, umbrellas and wrapped chocolate squares to chilled sparkling water waiting in the frig! We have travelled to many places all over the world and rarely have we found such a caring, genuinely friendly hostess to welcome us into her home! We will be back for sure!

Room Tip: Bring your appetite because the breakfasts are exquisite!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

My wife and I stayed here some time ago for a weekend getaway and we were pleased with the accommodations and service.

We plan on returning when we each have time off and the money to take another trip.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
anonymous
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

Wellesley is one of the smaller towns outside of Boston, and as such does not have a lot of lodging options. Even if there was an option on every corner, there are quite a few things that set this particular place apart from the other places we have stayed, and we have traveled on business nearly year-round.

I have read through the reviews on this site and want to offer my opinion, as a frequent traveler, staying at bed and breakfasts, hotels, vacation rental houses and condos, and condominium hotels. One of the most important aspects of travel to me, is a good night's sleep. In our profession we work sometimes 20 hours a day or more for months at a time, and it's incredibly important to sleep well. I can't say I have ever slept better in any hotel or lodging location, not even in the redwood trees or the rocky mountains, both of which are home to us. There is something deeply honest and kind about the owner of this bed and breakfast, who is a loving, soulful and beautiful person who cares about every single particularity you might have, genuinely providing a sense of welcome and caring.

I have no idea why one guest wrote that they don't understand the shoe removal. In some countries it is a requirement and in this home it is appreciated by the guests-it's completely absurd that anyone would balk at this rule, just consider what surfaces your shoes touch next time you visit a gas station. The front room, and every other area of this home, is spotless. There are plenty of shoe and sock options for people to use, and a cozy little shoe rack, and the owner is communicative and responsive. I think it's often an attribute of the deeply caring individual that some people feel spiteful toward them for the gifts they offer, but I am not sure why. I have stayed at other B and B's with perfect reviews, and found the hosts to be fine, removed, decent, but not particularly truthful in their caring, even if they offer a spacious or wonderful home. What you get here, in addition to the lovely home and every amenity that the owner can provide, is the presence of a good person who actually cares about people. My favorite room is the medium sized room upstairs, although I have had very incredible sleep in both rooms I have stayed in. I have never ever had any intrusion on my privacy, and I like that the owner is present. I contacted her a year ago, and she was completely up front with me about the size of her rooms and amenities, we just didn't stay in Wellesley at the time, but when we did, we called her again and I was just grateful to have a place to stay so close to where I was working. I have also experienced a much more friendly and get-to-know-you vibe from the guests here than at other larger locations, and find that the owner's other guests also seem to be as happy and appreciative of this space as we are. The air conditioning is completely quiet and efficient and cools the room immediately. In an instant, we were offered refridgeration for medication and food items, both in the room, and in another little fridge brought to us, so we could have what we need when we need it-we travel with quite a bit of food that needs to be kept cold and most places would not be able to accommodate this easily.

The garden and walkable location of this bed and breakfast are also important to know about. There are lovely little lights in the garden that make every evening sparkly and beautiful, and the flowers and flagstone leading up to the door and driveway are warm and welcoming. It takes about a minute or less to walk to Whole Foods, and the driveway has plenty of room, surrounded by a lovely wooded area and is both easy to maneuver and private.

This is someone's home. In MA, it is not possible, as in, it is not legal to offer eggs and bacon and all the other items some guests here seem to intimate they would be happier with, as only the larger hotels are able to do so and before people disparage this it's best to ask, so you become knowledgeable about your impending commentary. While we mostly encounter very nice and helpful people when we travel, in quite a few other places all you get is a discouraged and exhausted host who would rather be anywhere else but slaving away over you and tallies up every moment of kindness as a favor, and in this place you are around someone who cares about your needs and never makes you feel as if you are anything less than family. While I understand that people have their opinions, it's not ok to discourage business from someone with a kind heart unless some kind of terrible thing has happened and even then I am not in favor of this kind of public forum of disparaging a business. Everyone is vulnerable to experience, and most people are not able to keep their moods and energy fields away from others so as to be un-intrusive, in fact, most people are palpably unhappy in one way or another, so I understand that people feel upset by this or that and that their reviews reflect this sometimes-we are all sensitive to surroundings and to each other even if we want to pretend we are not, but it's incredibly damaging to offensively hurt someone or their business with reviews that are harmful. This hurts the person's business, and in this situation, it's a lovely business, in addition to the difficulties of confronting people with this kind of unhappiness when you stay where you are not feeling happy. It's very very easy to see completely up front and understandable information about the bed and breakfast on the owner's website, and while the house is delightful and cozy, and would cost around 3-400 a night on the vineyard and is quite a bit more luxurious than many places there, it is reasonable in cost and feels perfectly spacious.

What you get here is not just a good night's sleep, you are being hosted in a clean, non-toxic, organic and delightful little home, where your health and wellness (after all, it's Wellesley, and the name says it all!) are of the utmost importance.

If you have allergies or chemical sensitivities, special dietary needs, or just want to know what it is like to be in an environment where this is accommodated, this is the place. If you prefer to walk to transportation or the market, and if you like a nice quiet and loving environment, this is the place. If you want to be seen as a welcome part of someone's home, this is the place. If you enjoy a totally vibrant and light and well appointed bathroom with a gorgeous porcelain sink and the kind of floor you are happy to be barefoot on, take a peek at the bathroom upstairs. Even the toilet paper is organic.

We quite enjoy that the owner is present near us, and that she does not pretend to be anything other than what she is, a real and loving and nurturing and honest and beautiful person, who actually cares about the world and everything in it. There is always the sense that you are important and valued when you are here. I don't really know why your night's sleep is so good here, it must be the quality of kindness in the house, something of deep value to us.

Thank you for being such a loving little home for those who travel to your area.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Albany, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

Be very cautious before staying here...you just may end up sleeping on an air mattress. Also, you may have to share a bathroom with several others after you've been told you would have a private bath. You also may not be able to check into your room until 10 p.m. even if you arrive at 3:30 p.m. and try several times to get checked in before having to leave for dinner. You also may end up thinking that the breakfast will redeem everything, only to find yourself staring at store bought bagels and packages of butter and cream cheese. You then may just go around the corner to the bakery next to Whole Foods. That bakery is awesome. In hindsight, I should have slept in the car, then got to that bakery for breakfast.

Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
WellesleyBnB, Owner at Wellesley Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, June 20, 2011
The husband and wife from Albany NY both posted on this site – here is what happened:

This room was not ready because it was NEVER confirmed. The guest was reminded a week prior to her requested check-in date that her check and gift certificate had not arrived and there was NO CONFIRMED reservation. Still neither a payment nor a deposit was provided to secure the room. I believed the guest had changed her plans. I was surprised to see her at my door.

Sold out, sold out, sold out - was what every lodging place in the area including myself was telling prospective guests for months before the busiest weekend of the year, the Boston Marathon. Because this guest was traveling with a toddler - it touched my heart, so I offered her family my private bedroom, which in the future will NOT be offered again under any circumstances. The description in advance included: entrance from rear of home, shared bath and plans to set aside my twin bed, setting up a sleep sofa with a high end Aero air mattress for extra comfort and covering my personal belongings with a coverlet to keep my things separated from the toddler.
In order to accommodate the surprise guest, I needed time to prepare and clean the room. Several hours prior to the customary 4 pm check-in time, she requested and was provided use of a shower and storage of their luggage.

Upon viewing the room, the guests requested a FREE night's stay. I suggested that they leave at that time if they did not want to be charged for lodging even though I had provided the services of a shower and storage of luggage earlier that afternoon. In an effort to please the guest I offered a discounted rate because of the "late check-in status" (even though services started well before normal check-in time) and they agreed and chose to stay.

In the morning the guests enjoyed breakfast, and without a prior reservation, they were served from the unlimited buffet style continental breakfast that the Marathon runners had chosen at the time of their confirmed reservations which included freshly baked bagels, delicious cranberry covered goat cheese, cream cheese, jams, organic peanut butter, unsweetened organic soy milk, coffee/tea made with filtered water, organic half and half cream, orange juice and bananas.

Once again I was surprised when the guests Mr. and Mrs. Guest from Albany, NY left without leaving any payment. This begs the question; did these people PLAN to make up false stories in order to cover up the reality of them skipping out on their bill?
The following month, after the guest's departure, I was able to receive a partial payment for lodging from the Bed and Breakfast gift certificate company after explaining the situation at hand.

One unfortunate situation does not compare to the joys of thousands of great experiences that makes my business very rewarding. The highlight of Wellesley Bed and Breakfast is seeing repeat visitors (approximately 30 percent) and meeting new guests.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011 via mobile

If you are looking for a unique experience this is certainly a great option. We were in the largest room with the private bath and found it very clean and comfortable. The inn keeper could not have nicer or more accommodating, and the breakfast was wonderful. There is no real common area and that could be a drawback but for us it not was not an issue.

• Stayed June 2011

Been to Wellesley Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!