“Why the complaints on service?” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 103 Restaurants in Watertown
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Vegetarian, Vegan
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Red Lentil is unique to Watertown and the surrounding area. We provide a warm atmosphere in which to enjoy creative and globally inspired vegetarian and vegan foods. Our aim is to please every customer that walks through our door. Our menu items are of the finest quality and are treated as such. They are prepared with sensitivity and care. Daily specials are offered at lunch, dinner, and brunch. They are built around produce that is currently in season in New England, which allows our chefs to exercise their creative whims. We strive to meet the needs of special diets, offering gluten-free, raw, and macrobiotic selections. We take great care to avoid any traces of gluten in our gluten-free dishes as we recognize the severity of celiac disease. We are committed to having special equipment for these offerings. Our dessert line is baked in-house to ensure freshness and features a wide range of vegan and gluten-free dessert options.
Manchester
“Why the complaints on service?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I have read complaints on the service, but I thought they were accommodating. My husband and I went for our anniversary. I was skeptical as I heard that the food was good but the place was kind of a dump with poor service. I am perplexed by what I read. We found it clean, and hostess found us a seat away from the window. And fast. Okay, so it wasn't on a Saturday night, but we found it nice. It is a tight place, but the food is worth it. Of all of the 3 veggie/vegan places we have been to we were amazed by the innovative food (teff crepes?). We were incapable of deciding and chose 4 appetizers. All were good, 2 were fantastic. I think it was barbecue seitan. The beet pancakes were the least strong. We will definitely go back.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Cirencester, United Kingdom
“Regular visit to Red Lentil”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Although the regular menu didn't seem to have changed since my last visit 4 months back, there was a specials menu running. For a veggie, vegan meal, you can't do much better than coming here.
The staff were running ragged today though - the restaurant was packed and there were people always waiting, but that's perhaps a good sign of good food and people didn't seem to mind. The staff worked hard at getting people seated fast and served.
I had my favourite shepherd's pie.

Visited April 2013
United States
“Great vegetarian options in a terrific multi-cultural neighborhood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

This is a great neighborhood that used to be filled with many middle Eastern options. It has changed quite a bit but still a good place to spend a few hours. Red Lentil provides many options and everything we had was quite tasty. The vegan nachos were a bit hit with the whole family.

It is pretty small so it gets busy quickly. The staff are very friendly. I cannot wait to go again.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Boston
“Fantastic Upscale Vegetarian Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

The food is prepared meticulously and with a great deal of thought and skill...done by a real chef. It's delicious, unusual, eclectic. It's exceptional for any restaurant, not just a vegetarian offering. The portions are not overwhelmingly large, but they are very satisfying. It's a bit pricey for café food, but worth every penny.

Visited April 2013
Massachusetts
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I've been to Red Lentil several times since it opened and have always been really happy. When my husband's parents decided to come visit on Sunday we thought it would be a perfect place to take them. We were thrilled to get a seat pretty quickly. Our waitress came over and asked for drink orders - we ordered waters, one iced coffee, and a smoothie. She returned with the iced coffee and the waters, but no smoothie. No big deal, as we figured they were still making it. When my mother-in-law ordered the red lentil soup she was told that they did not have it. Also, they were out of vegan cheese and orange juice! We were shocked that a place that offers to veganize all options would run out of vegan cheese and that they would be out of orange juice on a Sunday. Not to mention the fact that it was only 12 pm. Also, she had waited until we had made our minds up as to what we were going to order before she told us this. At that point we had to scramble to change our plans, as my husband and I who are both vegan were planning on choosing items that would have required the vegan cheese.

We ultimately decided on other items and were served promptly. I have to say that I can't fault the food at all - thank goodness - as it was just as delicious as it has been every time we've gone. Definitely try the sweet potato and date pancakes - they were amazing! My mother-in-law, however, wasn't thrilled with the cauliflower coconut bisque she had swapped to when the red lentil soup wasn't available. The waitress, seeing that, said she would take the soup off the bill. My smoothie still had not shown up. When the bill arrived both the soup and the smoothie were still on it. My father-in-law had already signed the check and didn't want to bother having to re-run it, and to the waitresses' defense she did offer to re-run it for us, but I will say that the whole service experience was really disappointing. Definitely not how I wanted to introduce my husband's parents to a place he and I have always loved.

• Visited March 2013