“Excellent authentic latin food, affordable, great atmosphere, good service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mango Grill - CLOSED

617-923-0482
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Spanish
Boston, MA
“Excellent authentic latin food, affordable, great atmosphere, good service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2008

I have been to Mango Grill twice, and both times the food was excellent. They are fairly new, so be prepared for a meal that takes about 15 minutes to get since there will be only one or two chefs. The kitchen is an open kitchen, and if you like you can sit at stools right in front of the kitchen to watch the big chef make some great food.

Everything was delicious. I had the Bistek Encebollado (steak cooked with onions) which comes with rice and beans, corn tortillas, and I ordered a plate of the Sweet plantains, which was plentiful and DELICIOUS. There are probably about 15 plantains on that plate and only 3 were left when I was done. They also come with spanish style "crema", which is a sweeter and less acidy sour cream. The meat was high quality thin steak, similar to what you see in Carne Asada cuts, and it had very few of those wiry or stretchy tendon things that I never eat. It was extremely flavorful and complemented the sides really well -- I was able to eat every bit of the steak because the cut was so good.

My date had the chicken fajitas which came with REAL salsa -- a fresh mixture of parsley, onions, tomatoes, lime juice OMG it was great -- guacamole, etc. Ask for corn tortillas instead of the fajita tortillas they come with, they're great here.

We also had an appetizer that came with shrimp skewers which were perfectly cooked and had a wedge of lime to eat it with, chicken quesadillas which were well balanced with cheese, chicken and carmelized onions, and fried calamari ( i hate calamari but my date loved it).

We also had a bean soup to start with which is a great summer soup since it is the brothy type with the beans and rice at the bottom and accented lightly with cilantro (I normally don't like cilantro but this had just enough for the aroma) and wedges of cuban bread to dip into it. The flavor was very authentic, it wasn't fake bean soup like the Panera bread soupy type, so if that's what you're looking for don't get it.

I had the Tres Leches for desert, it was ok, not the best I've tasted, the cake was honestly too thick so it didn't absorb the sweet milk very well. It had the consistency of a corn muffin.

I saw a neighboring table get the chile relleno filled with pork and he said it was great; the woman had a seafood paella which she ate every single scrap of and then proceeded to eat all of his leftover chile relleno, and she was skinny so my guess is it was excellent.

All in all, a great treat, EXTREMELY reasonable prices, nice service, warm inviting atmosphere with latin music playing softly in the background, large palm frond fans and a view of the walkers-by. There is also an outdoor patio out back if you prefer to eat outside!

Definitely go here and try it out.

% Recommend