“Clean eating” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 161 Restaurants in Waltham
Needham
“Clean eating”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

This little restaurant on Moody Street is a well kept secret. Masao and his helpers make the food and it is real food, not procssed food. It is a mixture of vegetarian and macrobiotic foods served in buffet style. I always feel good when I eat here. My stomach likes the foods.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Boston, Massachusetts
“macrobiotic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

If you want a really healthy meal this is the place to go. You can take what you want from the buffet and pay by weight - getting exactly what will make you feel satisfied.

Cape Cod, Massachusetts
“Nice Macrobiotic Lunch Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

People in Cambridge may remember when Masao's Kitchen was in the old Sears building in Porter Square. We still miss him, but he is serving lunch at his little restaurant in Waltham so if you are in the area, it is worth a visit. It is pure macrobiotic cooking with no frills. Very clean and nourishing food served up by Masao himself. Most of the food is in steamer trays and you fill your plate and then it is weighed to determine the price. There are also some items that can be ordered from the kitchen, but I have never tried these. If you are serious about macro food, this is the place for you. Unfortunately, I think he is only open for lunch.

• Visited June 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Vegan gem in suburban Boston”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

See my blog: Marty's Flying Vegan Review for complete review and pics.

There were many areas that were prominent displays of water overflowing river banks and parking lots half under water. Here is the Thames River in Connecticut. Or maybe it was the Connecticut River. I don't remember when I took the picture on the way to Hanscom Field in Bedford, Mass., a reliever field outside of Boston.

It truly is amazing how many gems are scattered across this country. It never ceases to amaze me. I found a listing for Masao's Kitchen on Happy Cow on my iPhone and about a 20 minute drive from Bedford's Hanscom Field we drove up to this place. It's half the size of the two surrounding restaurants, to the left a Guatamalan/Salvadorian restaurant and to the right a bargain pizzeria. It truly is amazing how we eat in this country where we have so much of everything yet mis-allocate our food and turn it into junk to eat.

Food = Happy Pilot.
Masao's Kitchen is a small buffet style place but is packed with a lot of good things from hard(er) or shall we say less common ingredients like 4 different kinds of seaweed and Mochi packages to his and Evelyn's cookbook. Oh, and lets not forget the food! There were 2 salads and about 11 hot dishes.

Salads and condiments to the left. To the right the display counter.

2 steam tables offer plenty of choices at $8.50 per pound.

OK, lets see if I can get it all. From lower left clockwise, carrots and lotus root, sauteed Shitake mushrooms and Hijiki seaweed, steamed broccoli and kale, millet with cauliflower, 2 white pieces of steamed daikon radish, tempeh in sweet and sour sauce, bbq tofu chunks and in the middle seitan pieces in a savory sauce.

There was complimentary bread and a big container of filtered water.

After eating that delicious plate of food I saw a few sandwiches in the display case. "Ah, for the trip home," I thought. Then I thought about just a little taste. I cut it half to share so I wouldn't be the only feeling like I overate and before you knew it, it was gone. A perfect ciabbata, toothy and yeasty, lettuce holding the thing together with a crunch, a mayo type coating and the bbq came together in a perfect union of flavor and texture.

The proverbial question, "Why can't I buy a sandwich like this everywhere?"

My dish came to .98 pounds. Not a bad price for a full plate of food.

There should be a 3rd word ... "delicious."

Masao should allow cell phone use here to call your friends to come and eat!

It's so nice to know that 20 minutes away from one of my more common destinations is this little perfect place to eat. And for those who refuse to have a meal without animals, there are 3 other places within a stone's throw that I'm sure can serve you cruelty on a plate. Bravo Masao on your 11 years here.

• Visited August 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Newton, MA
“Fantastic Vegan Restaurant in Boston suburb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

If you are vegan or macrobiotic, this place is for you. A few warnings. There is no service. It is cafeteria style, but you get to serve yourself. You pick from several items, and you decide how much. You pay by the weight. It is the same as a salad bar in terms of the purchase process. There are not many tables, so there is a risk you won't have a place to eat during peak times. For that reason, we see people often do takeout instead of eating at the restaurant. What really matters is the food, and it is always excellent. We go almost every week, and we have never had anything we did not like.

• Visited August 2011