“Economical but nothing out of ordinary” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Boston - Waltham - 52 4th Ave

You added Extended Stay America - Boston - Waltham - 52 4th Ave to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Boston - Waltham - 52 4th Ave
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   52 Fourth Avenue, Waltham, MA 02254 (Formerly Homestead Studio Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Waltham
Harrisburg
“Economical but nothing out of ordinary”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

We stayed here in August while visiting the Boston area on vacation and to visit Harvard College. This was my third time staying at an Extended Stay hotel but I wasn't as satisfied as my other stays. The common areas were a litlle run down and there was no contiental breakfast like the other ones had. It was economical in price though and fairly convenient to the subway station, which made it nice when traveling with a small family -- there were 3 of us.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Boston - Waltham - 52 4th Ave, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Carl - The staff and I read your comments about your stay with us. We appreciate the kind comments about the value our hotel offers with its competitive pricing and proximity to the subway system; however, we apologize that it did not meet your expectations in terms of the condition of the public spaces. I am happy to say that at this very moment we are having much of our hotel's public areas renovated to ensure that the "run down" issue you noted does not happen again in the future.

Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. Please contact me, at whm@extendedstay.com, if you would like to discuss this further. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Room was dirty- food on floor and counter, blanket covered in dog hair, shower curtain had mold. Hotel was noisy and staff did nothing to resolve it. Hallways smelled of smoke, like walking into the smoking room at an airport. Don't stay here. I checked out early and moved to a better hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Boston - Waltham - 52 4th Ave, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels and for taking the time to provide feedback about your experience. We use feedback, such as yours, to continuously make changes to our brand to improve our guest’s experience.

I would like to start by apologizing to you for not meeting your expectations. Unfortunately it seems that it was children that were above you causing the noise. The staff called the room to have the guest to quiet down the children and it seems to not have been successful. We strive to provide all our guests with a comfortable, “home away from home” experience and obviously this was not meet with the cleanliness of the room, in particular the pet hair. . I am sorry we failed at that mission. We will take your comments and coach our team to provide better service and more attention to detail in the future.

If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at whm2@extendedstay.com.
Newton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I've stayed here a few times and have always been pleased. The rooms are comfortable, but the staff is excellent, always so friendly and helpful, greeting you with a smile and actually remember your name which you don't see often these days. I'll definitely stay again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Lee225, Manager at Extended Stay America - Boston - Waltham - 52 4th Ave, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I am glad you found your room comfortable, and that our staff was able to make your stay so enjoyable. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I stayed there not for long after what I experience. There have been smells of marijuana all over the building. I brung it to the staffs attention an nothing was done. I wasn't even there two days before I met a women by the name of Whitney who says she there for shelter an then asked if I do heroin. I was shocked an appalled that they have people who stay in their hotel that does drugs. I will not ever be back there an hope they do something about it.

• Stayed January 2013
Lee225, Manager at Extended Stay America - Boston - Waltham - 52 4th Ave, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. The situations you described are not acceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. In response to your feedback, I am reviewing with our staff what actions we can take in the event that a guest smokes in one of our non-smoking rooms in violation of hotel policy. This is a challenge all hotels are faced with however we clearly need to work harder at identifying which room is in question at a specific time. We do not currently have any guest by the name of Whitney at our hotel but if you could supply me with the dates of your stay I will attempt to determine who may have spoken to you and will ensure that they do not stay at our hotel in the future. We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate that you were willing to take time to let us know of the areas that require improvement. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at whm@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.
West Hartford, CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

While I don't have the range of complaints regarding the hotel's cleanliness as several of the other reviewers do, I nonetheless am unlikely to return.
We stayed in Waltham in order to make an early morning appointment the next day at Children's Hospital for my daughter. She was recovering from foot surgery and therefore the one bed in the room would not be satisfactory. Upon check-in there were no double bed rooms with space, but we were given one with a pull out sofa couch instead. I was dismayed that I had to pull out a credit card on the spot and pay more for this, especially since the room was there. In the hospitality industry, a small upgrade is usually given gratis, especially under our family's circumstances. It left a bad taste in my mouth.
Additionally the sofa bed was extremely uncomforable and I tossed and turned all night.
Really, this building is really for an extended stay business traveler who is there so and needs cooking facilities.
I just saw that this lodging is rated last on the list and maybe the managers/owners should take heed and instead of writing lengthy letters of explanation for each and every review, actually invest the time to do something about the complaints.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Lee225, Manager at Extended Stay America - Boston - Waltham - 52 4th Ave, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Hello and thank you for providing feedback about your experience here on Trip Advisor.

I can assure you that both at the local and at the corporate level we are going to great lengths to review all our guest's feedback and incorporate that feedback into changes taking place at the hotel. In response to feedback such as yours we will be replacing all of our older mattresses this November, will be upgrading to flat screen televisions and upgrading our bedding in December, and are scheduled for a substantial refresh of the hotel in 2013.

The Priceline reservation that was made within our system on your behalf was for a room with a single Queen-size bed and the reservation was booked at a rate consistent with that type of room. We have a few different types of rooms within the hotel with different bedding options and typically with different rates associated with them. The $15.00 upgrade fee to change your reservation to a room with a King Bed and a pull-out sofa was simply the difference in cost between the two room-types or, put another way, how much more your original reservation would have cost had you booked that type of room originally. I can completely understand how frustrating it can be to have unanticipated costs associated with your travel and am sorry if Priceline was not clear enough with regards to what type of room they were reserving on your behalf.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope your daughter's foot is feeling better!
Silver Spring, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

I had the extreme displeasure of staying here last week. Unfortunately, the local hotels were booked out.

By comparison, I have had the pleasure of staying at the Westin which is about 200 yards away with a room rate of ~$219. At the Homestead, I paid the room rate of $235. What did I experience?

The stench of cheap disinfectant upon entering the building.
The only elevator was broken.
Water dripping from the hallway ceiling.
The desk attendent was not at the desk upon my arrival or departure.
Dirty, worn out carpets in the common areas.
A room that smelled of old smoke, stale beer, body odor, urine, and disinfectant.
An air conditioner, that, while it did barely work, made a terrible racket.
Carpeting in the room that was so old, worn out, and dirty, that I kept my shoes on at all times.
Given the filth of the room, while I did not get any bedbug bites, I hardly slept due to concerns about what animals might come emerge when the lights were out.

I went to bed at 11 PM. Due to the noise of the air conditioner and wondering about cockroaches and rats, I awoke at 1:30. My limo pickup was not until 8 AM. However, to escape this building, I called a cab and checked out around 5 AM since paying to ride in a cab was preferable to staying at the Homestead any longer.

In addition to the filthy, dilapidated state of the Homestead, the other issue was the room rate. The Homestead price gouges. The card in the room indicated a maximum room rate of $200. I don't know if charging me $235/night was legal. Regardless of whether it was illegal, it leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. This is a terrible place. I emailed, complaining about my experience >48 hours ago and there has been no response.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Boston - Waltham - 52 4th Ave, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review of our hotel. I would like to give you my most heartfelt apology that the condition of our hotel was not to your liking.

We work very hard to ensure that our rates are appropriately placed with respect to the other hotels in the area and I am confident that when looking at all Waltham area hotels at the same time for the same date(s) of stay we represent one of the best values in the area. I apologize if the rate card that was displayed in your room had an incorrect rate on it.

Our email system has been double checked and, unfortunately, we are unable to find the email you sent to us. We would be more than happy to speak with you if there is anything you would like to discuss further with me or our guest relations team, please don't hesitate to contact us by visiting our website and clicking on the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page.

Thank you for providing us with your feedback.
Charlottesville, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We slept OK here thanks to the very loud in-room AC, but our child, who has traveled a lot, found the place scary, and my wife, who has traveled lots more for both business and pleasure, found it sad. There's no way we'd ever go back: there has to be a better place for the price. The guy at the desk the night we got in was very friendly as he helped us bring in the cot, but the woman at the desk the next morning was surly and unhelpful about the nearly useless internet connection. The entrance to the building was filthy--even a little sweeping would have helped a lot with that, but there would be nothing to do, short of massive renovation, for the worn interior. What made it especially painful was knowing we were committed to the shabby place when there were many other reasonably reliable chain hotels right nearby. I was suckered into thinking this was a Homewood Suites and thus at least familiar, but ours was a studio suite with none of the amenities of those chains and none of the pleasures of a local inn.

Room Tip: Some downstairs rooms are right level with the parking lot and seemed very vulnerable to break-in
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Boston - Waltham - 52 4th Ave, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write us of your recent experience at the Homestead Studio Suites Boston Waltham. We are sorry that you did not find your room to be satisfactory and want to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced while a guest at our hotel. Your comments are important to us and we want to assure you that we will take them to heart. Please let it be known that our hotels will be undergoing an extensive renovation beginning in October of this year. We hope that you will give us another try in the very near future as we know you will see a great difference in the accommodations. We will also speak with the front office person you spoke with regarding the Internet. There is no excuse for less than excellent guest service, which is what you obviously experienced. Thank you again for your comments. We hope to see you again in 2013!

Been to Extended Stay America - Boston - Waltham - 52 4th Ave? Share your experiences!