“Unlikely To Return” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Boston - Waltham - 52 4th Ave

Save Saved
You added Extended Stay America - Boston - Waltham - 52 4th Ave to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Boston - Waltham - 52 4th Ave
Extended Stay America - Boston - Waltham - 52 4th Ave
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   52 Fourth Avenue, Waltham, MA 02254 (Formerly Homestead Studio Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #11 of 11 hotels in Waltham
West Hartford, CT
“Unlikely To Return”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

While I don't have the range of complaints regarding the hotel's cleanliness as several of the other reviewers do, I nonetheless am unlikely to return.
We stayed in Waltham in order to make an early morning appointment the next day at Children's Hospital for my daughter. She was recovering from foot surgery and therefore the one bed in the room would not be satisfactory. Upon check-in there were no double bed rooms with space, but we were given one with a pull out sofa couch instead. I was dismayed that I had to pull out a credit card on the spot and pay more for this, especially since the room was there. In the hospitality industry, a small upgrade is usually given gratis, especially under our family's circumstances. It left a bad taste in my mouth.
Additionally the sofa bed was extremely uncomforable and I tossed and turned all night.
Really, this building is really for an extended stay business traveler who is there so and needs cooking facilities.
I just saw that this lodging is rated last on the list and maybe the managers/owners should take heed and instead of writing lengthy letters of explanation for each and every review, actually invest the time to do something about the complaints.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Lee225, Manager at Extended Stay America - Boston - Waltham - 52 4th Ave, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Hello and thank you for providing feedback about your experience here on Trip Advisor.

I can assure you that both at the local and at the corporate level we are going to great lengths to review all our guest's feedback and incorporate that feedback into changes taking place at the hotel. In response to feedback such as yours we will be replacing all of our older mattresses this November, will be upgrading to flat screen televisions and upgrading our bedding in December, and are scheduled for a substantial refresh of the hotel in 2013.

The Priceline reservation that was made within our system on your behalf was for a room with a single Queen-size bed and the reservation was booked at a rate consistent with that type of room. We have a few different types of rooms within the hotel with different bedding options and typically with different rates associated with them. The $15.00 upgrade fee to change your reservation to a room with a King Bed and a pull-out sofa was simply the difference in cost between the two room-types or, put another way, how much more your original reservation would have cost had you booked that type of room originally. I can completely understand how frustrating it can be to have unanticipated costs associated with your travel and am sorry if Priceline was not clear enough with regards to what type of room they were reserving on your behalf.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope your daughter's foot is feeling better!

41 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Silver Spring, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

I had the extreme displeasure of staying here last week. Unfortunately, the local hotels were booked out.

By comparison, I have had the pleasure of staying at the Westin which is about 200 yards away with a room rate of ~$219. At the Homestead, I paid the room rate of $235. What did I experience?

The stench of cheap disinfectant upon entering the building.
The only elevator was broken.
Water dripping from the hallway ceiling.
The desk attendent was not at the desk upon my arrival or departure.
Dirty, worn out carpets in the common areas.
A room that smelled of old smoke, stale beer, body odor, urine, and disinfectant.
An air conditioner, that, while it did barely work, made a terrible racket.
Carpeting in the room that was so old, worn out, and dirty, that I kept my shoes on at all times.
Given the filth of the room, while I did not get any bedbug bites, I hardly slept due to concerns about what animals might come emerge when the lights were out.

I went to bed at 11 PM. Due to the noise of the air conditioner and wondering about cockroaches and rats, I awoke at 1:30. My limo pickup was not until 8 AM. However, to escape this building, I called a cab and checked out around 5 AM since paying to ride in a cab was preferable to staying at the Homestead any longer.

In addition to the filthy, dilapidated state of the Homestead, the other issue was the room rate. The Homestead price gouges. The card in the room indicated a maximum room rate of $200. I don't know if charging me $235/night was legal. Regardless of whether it was illegal, it leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. This is a terrible place. I emailed, complaining about my experience >48 hours ago and there has been no response.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Boston - Waltham - 52 4th Ave, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review of our hotel. I would like to give you my most heartfelt apology that the condition of our hotel was not to your liking.

We work very hard to ensure that our rates are appropriately placed with respect to the other hotels in the area and I am confident that when looking at all Waltham area hotels at the same time for the same date(s) of stay we represent one of the best values in the area. I apologize if the rate card that was displayed in your room had an incorrect rate on it.

Our email system has been double checked and, unfortunately, we are unable to find the email you sent to us. We would be more than happy to speak with you if there is anything you would like to discuss further with me or our guest relations team, please don't hesitate to contact us by visiting our website and clicking on the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page.

Thank you for providing us with your feedback.
Charlottesville, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We slept OK here thanks to the very loud in-room AC, but our child, who has traveled a lot, found the place scary, and my wife, who has traveled lots more for both business and pleasure, found it sad. There's no way we'd ever go back: there has to be a better place for the price. The guy at the desk the night we got in was very friendly as he helped us bring in the cot, but the woman at the desk the next morning was surly and unhelpful about the nearly useless internet connection. The entrance to the building was filthy--even a little sweeping would have helped a lot with that, but there would be nothing to do, short of massive renovation, for the worn interior. What made it especially painful was knowing we were committed to the shabby place when there were many other reasonably reliable chain hotels right nearby. I was suckered into thinking this was a Homewood Suites and thus at least familiar, but ours was a studio suite with none of the amenities of those chains and none of the pleasures of a local inn.

Room Tip: Some downstairs rooms are right level with the parking lot and seemed very vulnerable to break-in
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Boston - Waltham - 52 4th Ave, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write us of your recent experience at the Homestead Studio Suites Boston Waltham. We are sorry that you did not find your room to be satisfactory and want to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced while a guest at our hotel. Your comments are important to us and we want to assure you that we will take them to heart. Please let it be known that our hotels will be undergoing an extensive renovation beginning in October of this year. We hope that you will give us another try in the very near future as we know you will see a great difference in the accommodations. We will also speak with the front office person you spoke with regarding the Internet. There is no excuse for less than excellent guest service, which is what you obviously experienced. Thank you again for your comments. We hope to see you again in 2013!
Coatesville, Pennsylvania, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I was unable to book my 'standard hotel' Embassy Suites and this was the only available property. Front desk staff were very good; very helpful. Room itself? Bathroom stinks - I mean smells really bad. A/C unpredictable. Supposedly "free wi-fi" isn't free. crappy service. I bought the $3 upgrade and still got only one bar. Couldn't connect to work vpn. Wouldn't sit in the easy chair if you paid me. Going to sleep in my clothes as I can't even imagine sleeping in this bed. Slippers are a must. Had booked for 2 nights; cancelled the 2nd night. If you're looking for a cheap room, this would be it. Again - staff completely made up for the crappy room. Staff were awesome.
I travel about 2-3 weeks per month

Room Tip: If you're on the cheap - pick this place
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Boston - Waltham - 52 4th Ave, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review of the Homestead Boston - Waltham. Our company prides itself on excellent guest service, so it was gratifying to read your feedback about our staff. I would like to give you my most heartfelt apology regarding the part of your stay that was not satisfactory.

We regard a consistent, dependable Internet experience as crucial for our guests, who are often staying with us for long periods of time while on business. That's why we have invested so much in a technology infrastructure that supports our guests' internet needs. Uploading and downloading documents across a VPN, emailing, and keeping up with friends on social networking websites are all tasks that our guests perform regularly. However, our networks are not designed to accommodate resource intensive tasks like transferring large video files. Although we can typically identify and limit users who are tying up network resources, an overall slowness can be experienced across the network before we are able to respond. I assure you that I take your comments very seriously, and that we will continue to invest in reliable wireless Internet access for our guests.

Lansing, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I was a little skeptical once I read several reviews of this hotel, but was I wasnt looking for a lot just a nice clean place to stay while in the area for a day. I stayed in a queen size room which suited me just fine, it was clean and the bed was comfortable. It was inexpensive for an extended stay hotel and not far from Boston and Harvard University. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Thank you very much for your comments regarding your stay at the Homestead Studio Suites – Boston Waltham. I am pleased that you found our room clean and your bed comfortable.

As a member of the Extended Stay Hotels(sm) family, we are proud to be a part of the premier lodging source for business and leisure travelers looking for a great room at a great rate. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. We were among the first in the industry to identify a need for a fully functional hotel suite, complete with range top and full refrigerator. We know that this offering is compelling because of the continued compliments we receive from guests like you.

Greenland NH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

I travel most of the month for work , I have to say my best stay was recently in Waltham, MA . The front desk was so help full due to the fact I did not know the area. They informed me where resturants were and also delivey sub shops. The hotel was very clean . I would highly recommand staying here .

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Hello and thank you for providing feedback on your stay with our hotel.

I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff was able to assist you with their knowledge of the area. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of assistance in researching or making reservations at any of our 683 hotels across North America in the future.
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

I found the front desk staff very friendly and warm when I arrived.

I stayed here for a short weekend plus an early weekday for a job interview in Waltham. Of the hotels in the area, or staying elsewhere in the metro area, this was the best price.

For an "extended stay" hotel, the amenities were lacking. If you wanted to save money by buying groceries and taking advantage of the kitchen, there was very little silverware to be found, and no glasses or anything to drink out of. The single serve coffee pot did not have any coffee in it.

Maybe I caught this place at a bad time, but even the bathroom was lacking. Very thin, very small towels that barely dried me. Thin bars of cheap soap and one cheap shampoo as well.

In addition to the very cheap decor, very fraid, very worn carpets in the common area, I would not suggest this as a place to stay if you are doing business in the area, unless you're looking for the absolute cheapest option.

If you're just looking for one or two nights on the cheap, I paid next to nothing. But.... Buyer beware.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Boston - Waltham - 52 4th Ave, responded to this review, April 20, 2012

Been to Extended Stay America - Boston - Waltham - 52 4th Ave? Share your experiences!