“Parking scam” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Parking scam”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed here on a recent Saturday night......basically just needed a place to sleep for the night. Booked on priceline and got a decent rate. At registration, guests are told that it is $15 for self park or $40 for valet parking.....really peculiar since there is a dedicated multi story parking garage on site. We opted for self park & were told that we'd need our room key to exit the lot......the gate remained in the up position, so clearly the parking charge was a scam.
Our room was recently renovated, nicely appointed, & everything seemed clean. The bed was so comfortable! And the shower was quite nice. Heating system made a lot of noise which woke us several times.
Drinks in the bar were measured and pretty bad.
Ambivalent about whether I'd stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask how far your room is from the elevator.....we were very far.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
David A, Manager at The Westin Waltham-Boston, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for staying with us and offering such honest feedback. Although you enjoyed the room and our Heavenly bed I’m disappointed to hear about your experience at the bar and with our parking. The cost of the parking is so that we may staff overnight security to keep your car and belongings safe and secure. I hope that we have the chance to welcome you back in the future and that our parking fees do not hinder your decision. We would love the chance to serve you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Rueschlikon, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I have been three times and all times I had the same feeling: "Is this really a Westin?"
Well, nice rooms, nice atmosphere but... You can hear everything, both outside and the next rooms, furnitures a bit "old fashioned", etc..
Not at the European standard at all.

Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us on three different occasions. I’m glad you enjoy our décor and rooms. I’m also very sorry you find those same rooms to be noisy. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back for a fourth time and if we do, I’m certain we can find a quiet room that will exceed your expectations.
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This property shows its age. Room was not clean when I checked in (black hair on the bathtub rim). In-room HVAC unit partially extended from the wall. This Westin is an odd shaped building being circular in shape, thus the rooms are oddly shaped. It is conveniently located off the interstate and the restaurant is good quality. I have stayed at much better quality Westin hotels. I would have to give this hotel a 6 on a scale of 1 to 10. Not disappointed but I definitely expect better from a Westin property.

Room Tip: Interstate highway adjacent to the west side of the property is audible from rooms on the West side...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
GA,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I had given up on the Westin brand completely due to the various experiences I have had around the world with them. This is a fairly decent hotel. Reception is not the greatest just like other location of the same brand. Rooms seem to be newly renovated, and spacious. Large restaurant and bar on the ground floor. The hotel has large glass panels which look great from the outside but from the inside one can see that they have not been cleaned in a while. There is a self park deck across the hotel.
Not many choices of restaurants in the area but quite a few some miles away.

Room Tip: If possible avoid the 2nd floor. It is right on top of the bar and gets very noisy if there are many...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for giving the Westin brand another chance at our property! Your feedback definitely points out some areas we can improve on. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we will most certainly work to fix the areas we let you down on. I hope you keep Westin on your radar and stay with us again soon.
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I showed up this evening for my guaranteed reservation at the Westin Waltham and when I went to check in, the lady at the counter said I'll be right back. After more than 5 minutes another hotel staff member comes out and informs me the hotel had a number of clients that extended their stays and that they did not have a room for me. Instead they offered to pay for my night at the Holiday Inn Express - needless to say that is a completely different class hotel. Even worse I was left to stay in a room that had been a smoking room. They did at least provide me with transportation to the Holiday Inn Express. I have to ask, what hotel management treats their repeat clientele like this? I will never stay in the Westin Waltham again, very poor management and terrible treatment of clientele.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel, where they a guaranteed reservation means something.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for providing feedback on what is a disappointing situation. I wanted to reach out to you regarding the oversold situation at our hotel. Nights like that night are often unavoidable in our business and I hate that reality. You should be assured that the room you booked is ready and waiting for you; no matter what time you arrive. Multiple unavoidable circumstances resulted in our being oversold and unable to provide you with your accommodations. For that I humbly apologize. If your travels bring you back to the area, please reach out to us so that we may facilitate a true Westin experience and welcome you back! If you would like to continue the conversation; please reach out to us at GMWestinWaltham@westin.com
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Nearly deserted, enormous lobby restaurant/bar : had to leave table to ask for menu, leave table to place order and pay in advance (?) had to leave table to pick up order from bar while server chatted with couple seated at bar.

Dirty snack tray in room...covered in dust. Charged at check out for snack items not consumed. Charged at checked out for "attempting to connect to the Internet " ( .40) really? No connection was established!

Large stain appeared on carpet when all occupants of room were out. Response was - "we certainly apologize for that" and asked if we'd left the door ajar?!
The stain remained untouched for the remaining 2 days of our stay.

Walked to the bus stop to travel into Waltham and take the commuter rail to Boston. No front door . No sidewalk down the road to the bus stop. Travelled down the hill on foot while cars zoomed by- no sidewalk!!
I would never stay there again.
Did not opt for the green option- wanted daily housekeeping. Bed was made but those sheets were not changed . Blech.

• Stayed November 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This is a very average Westin hotel, which is to say it is very good. Rooms are spacious and somewhat modern. Bed/furniture is extremely comfortable and staff is excellent. The restaurant is above average but it is very expensive. The bar is kind of tiny as well. But the staff is great and attentive. I believe this is the best hotel in the area.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
What a great note. Thank you for being a fan! You said it yourself, ‘best hotel in the area.’ We believe that as well and do our best to make every stay for every guest a memorable one!

Been to The Westin Waltham-Boston? Share your experiences!