“A mixed bag” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Philadelphia PA
“A mixed bag”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

This is a nice property located very conveniently for Boston. Downtown is only 15 minutes away if traffic is light.

The property is very attractive, all glass and curves. The hotel itself inside is oddly shaped. The lobby is narrow and curved but attractive. This is where it got weird. We arrived late, and the place was crowded. Outside in the courtyard was a group of teenage skateboarders. An odd site. Not one to judge, I walked through their cloud of cigarette smoke to the revolving door. The door worked, but the glass was recently broken with tape over the cracks. Unusual. But, whatever. Accidents happen. This is an awkward first impression.

The lobby was where things started to go sideways. So many drunk people, wow. Very loud and very boisterous. I watched a women carried from the bar. I haven't seen anyone that drunk since college. Quite a scene. Getting a bit nervous now.

Got to the front desk, and the clerk was quite pleasant, but as we were late our room has been given away. The only rooms available were king size beds instead of two queens. No choice. This is a bit awkward, now. My daughter and I are very close, but not about to sleep in the same bed. Well, the couch unfolds. Whatever. Same price.

The rooms are great, clean, and comfortable. Bathroom is cleaner than mine at home. Quiet rooms, excellent furnishings. We called for an extra blanket and pillow for the fold out bed, and it arrived quickly and with a smile. Always appreciated.

Parking was included in my rate as was WiFi, but these things I gather are usually additional. This adds on to what is already a pricey room.

I'm not sure if the property always runs this busy and wide open. Saturday was weddings and Bar mitzvahs. Tour buses in the parking lot. Again, crowded lobby and and elevators.

So, the choice is up to you. I have stayed at the Courtyard across the street as well. It's quite functional as well. Rooms are nicer at the Westin.

Thank you to the cleaning staff! Cleanest room I have stayed at in recent memory.

Room Tip: Make sure you are clear that substitutions are not acceptable!
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Rutherford, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I lived in Boston from 2002-2007 and am very familiar with a number of the Back Bay and Waterfront luxury hotels. However, my boyfriend and I chose to stay at the Westin Waltham during a recent weekend getaway. I have to say that in comparison, we were pleasantly surprised by the hospitality, comfort and accessibility of the Westin Waltham. Not staying within the Boston city limits was not an issue, in fact, I think that after a day in the city, we were able to arrive at the Westin by car in far less time than it would have taken us to navigate through the city via car or T. Oh, and the breakfast buffet at the restaurant is incredible!

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
McLean, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The person at the check in desk was friendly and got us checked in with no delay. The rooms were okay, but we could hear noise from the construction going on at the hotel. The construction made it difficult to even access the hotel. We gave up trying to drive near the door and just parked in the garage. Luckily, we did not have a lot of luggage because it was an obstacle course getting to the make-shift lobby. The "restaurant"/"bar" were in temporary locations as well. It would have been nice to get a warning during booking about extensive nature of construction. We were tired and so ate dinner at the hotel. It was edible, but not particularly good. Bottom line is that it was located near where we needed to be the next day, was clean, and the rooms were just fine. No doubt it would have been a better experience without all the construction.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
David A, Manager at The Westin Waltham-Boston, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Your feedback and mixed reviews are frustrating to hear and I’m sorry for that. I appreciate your candid and honest feelings about the hotel. Knowing our staff was friendly and provides great service is wonderful to hear. I’m also very sorry that our renovation impacted your stay. The good news is that our renovation is complete and we are now welcoming our guests in a freshly renovated lobby and serving food and drinks in a wonderful new restaurant. I hope you stay with us again to enjoy a true Westin Waltham experience.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Service is generally slow and rude (definitely not up to Westin standard), they charge a ridiculous amount for Internet access (didn't know that any first class US business hotel chain did that any more), and the place is a construction site . None of this is disclosed on Orbitz. Spare yourself the extra stress (you likely have enough already if you travel on business ), and avoid the Westin Waltham!

Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback regarding our service and our renovation. I’m sorry the poor service and construction impacted your stay. We will certainly look into the friendliness of our team and make corrections where necessary. To keep you in the know; our renovation was completed September 7th. I’m sorry it affected your stay with us. If your travels bring you back this way please reach out to us so we can facilitate a true Westin Waltham experience and so you can enjoy our newly renovated lobby, restaurant and bar while savoring our new menu items!
New City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This was not a planned trip. While on vacation last week, my husband became ill on Cape Cod and was rushed by ambulance to Beth Israel Deaconess in Boston. I contacted Hotels.com and they were wonderful. They got me a fantastic deal for Friday night of the Labor Day Weekend at the Westin in Waltham, Mass. They told me the next night would be $265.00 which I said would be too much and they said to ask for a medical assistance rate which I did. The Westin lowered their rate to $149.00 per night for the remainder of my stay, waived all parking fees and said that no matter how much after checkout time, they would not charge me for another night since we didn't know when my husband would be released from the hospital. When I did check out on Monday (well after checkout), they put my bags in the car and gave me water and treats for the road. They were with me every step of the way. The restaurant food was exceptional. They have a "Friendly Green Environment" incentive whereby you receive a $5.00 voucher for each day you don't request a change of sheets and towels. The room is still cleaned with amenities replenished, including a large bottle of water each day at no charge. The mini bar is not free but everyone should know that. Also, I needed a fridge for some medication and they provided one at no charge. I used my voucher each day at the hotel Starbucks and had a free breakfast each day. There was plenty of construction which wasn't a problem since the parking garage was so close and you could park the car next to the hotel upon check-in and checkout. Everyone should know that a full-service hotel doesn't offer free Wi-Fi and generally has a higher-priced restaurant. If you want a free breakfast and free Wi-Fi, you need to stay at an inferior hotel such as a Comfort Inn or a Hampton. All in all, the Westin made a bad situation as good as it could be.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
David A, Manager at The Westin Waltham-Boston, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
I’m so glad you were able to stay with us while you were handling a very tough situation. It was great to get to know you and I’m thrilled we met and exceeded your expectations. Thank you for the very generous review. I hope you and your husband can join us for a relaxing getaway in the near future. From everyone at the Westin Waltham we wish you and your family all the best!
Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Nice room and nice hotel. Nice and safe area. A bar and restaurant within walking distance. Lots of added rates for wifi, not free, parking, $15 a day, a tray of snacks on dresser that is sensored and charges you even if you knock into it. The bar is a joke and the restaurant is expensive and not very appealing. Think the place is under construction, so maybe it will be better, but pretty weak for a Westin.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
I’m glad you enjoyed the service and the hotel rooms. Our renovation is complete and we are now excited to serve all of our guests in our new lobby, restaurant and bar. As the only 4 Diamond hotel in the area we do charge a minimal fee for some of our amenities including internet, parking and the minibar. Although, internet is free in the lobby and our parking fee helps to maintain the parking facility which includes our overnight security to keep your car and belongings safe and sound. I hope we have the chance to welcome you back in the future so you can see all of the great improvements!
babylon ny
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

usually a good hotel for waltham right off 95 but didn't know there is rampant construction. Lobby is totally blocked, elevator took 20 minutes up and 20 minutes back down. I don't know how long it will last but if a hotel is this impacted by construction it'd be nice if they'd just take the hit and not book guests. As it is I am sure everyone else who stayed here was very unhappy. Can't imagine that the short term cash is worth long term never staying here again.

Not sure the duration of construction, be sure to check before you book!

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
The construction is over. It was certainly not an easy time during the renovation and I’m sorry the disruption impacted your stay. We are thrilled to reveal and welcome all our guests into our new lobby and restaurant. If you decide to stay with us again, I’m certain your feelings toward the hotel will be reversed! The restaurant is amazing; offering great views, ambiance and new menu items. I hope you come back soon for a much different experience!

Been to The Westin Waltham-Boston? Share your experiences!