“A Lifesaver in Time of Need” 5 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Waltham
GreenLeadersSilver level
New City
“A Lifesaver in Time of Need”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This was not a planned trip. While on vacation last week, my husband became ill on Cape Cod and was rushed by ambulance to Beth Israel Deaconess in Boston. I contacted Hotels.com and they were wonderful. They got me a fantastic deal for Friday night of the Labor Day Weekend at the Westin in Waltham, Mass. They told me the next night would be $265.00 which I said would be too much and they said to ask for a medical assistance rate which I did. The Westin lowered their rate to $149.00 per night for the remainder of my stay, waived all parking fees and said that no matter how much after checkout time, they would not charge me for another night since we didn't know when my husband would be released from the hospital. When I did check out on Monday (well after checkout), they put my bags in the car and gave me water and treats for the road. They were with me every step of the way. The restaurant food was exceptional. They have a "Friendly Green Environment" incentive whereby you receive a $5.00 voucher for each day you don't request a change of sheets and towels. The room is still cleaned with amenities replenished, including a large bottle of water each day at no charge. The mini bar is not free but everyone should know that. Also, I needed a fridge for some medication and they provided one at no charge. I used my voucher each day at the hotel Starbucks and had a free breakfast each day. There was plenty of construction which wasn't a problem since the parking garage was so close and you could park the car next to the hotel upon check-in and checkout. Everyone should know that a full-service hotel doesn't offer free Wi-Fi and generally has a higher-priced restaurant. If you want a free breakfast and free Wi-Fi, you need to stay at an inferior hotel such as a Comfort Inn or a Hampton. All in all, the Westin made a bad situation as good as it could be.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
David A, Manager at The Westin Waltham-Boston, responded to this review, 1 week ago
I’m so glad you were able to stay with us while you were handling a very tough situation. It was great to get to know you and I’m thrilled we met and exceeded your expectations. Thank you for the very generous review. I hope you and your husband can join us for a relaxing getaway in the near future. From everyone at the Westin Waltham we wish you and your family all the best!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Nice room and nice hotel. Nice and safe area. A bar and restaurant within walking distance. Lots of added rates for wifi, not free, parking, $15 a day, a tray of snacks on dresser that is sensored and charges you even if you knock into it. The bar is a joke and the restaurant is expensive and not very appealing. Think the place is under construction, so maybe it will be better, but pretty weak for a Westin.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
I’m glad you enjoyed the service and the hotel rooms. Our renovation is complete and we are now excited to serve all of our guests in our new lobby, restaurant and bar. As the only 4 Diamond hotel in the area we do charge a minimal fee for some of our amenities including internet, parking and the minibar. Although, internet is free in the lobby and our parking fee helps to maintain the parking facility which includes our overnight security to keep your car and belongings safe and sound. I hope we have the chance to welcome you back in the future so you can see all of the great improvements!
babylon ny
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

usually a good hotel for waltham right off 95 but didn't know there is rampant construction. Lobby is totally blocked, elevator took 20 minutes up and 20 minutes back down. I don't know how long it will last but if a hotel is this impacted by construction it'd be nice if they'd just take the hit and not book guests. As it is I am sure everyone else who stayed here was very unhappy. Can't imagine that the short term cash is worth long term never staying here again.

Not sure the duration of construction, be sure to check before you book!

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
The construction is over. It was certainly not an easy time during the renovation and I’m sorry the disruption impacted your stay. We are thrilled to reveal and welcome all our guests into our new lobby and restaurant. If you decide to stay with us again, I’m certain your feelings toward the hotel will be reversed! The restaurant is amazing; offering great views, ambiance and new menu items. I hope you come back soon for a much different experience!
Delray Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

i stay at Westins often and this was a bit disappointing due to construction and remodeling, staff was ok,
hope they decide to put a bar in with some atmosphere, there is nothing in area that has any nightlife
1st night a screaming kids next door and a early wake up, funny part they were in restaurant for breakfast acting up again

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
I’m sorry you did not receive the Westin experience you are used to you. The great news is, the renovation is complete! We now have a gorgeous lobby, spacious and intimate restaurant and an amazing bar with great views of the Waltham Reservoir. I hope you give us the opportunity to welcome you back in the future!
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I was a part of a dance event that was held at the hotel this past summer. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I worked with the events coordinator that helped me organize the space perfectly for all our needs. They were very accommodating and flexible. All had a great experience from the organizers and staff to the attendees and guest. Thank you!!!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
We love your event and can’t wait for you to return next year. Although we hope you stop in before then! Thanks so much for the review and the opportunity to host your group. It’s wonderful to hear that we provide a great experience for you and your attendees.
Aurora, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Stayed here over Labor Day weekend for a wedding as this was the choice for out of town guest. I had reserved 1 Jr. Suite and 2 Kings. Fast and efficient check in and clean rooms. A plus for us was that they have an Avis Rental on site which we needed to use since no car rentals were available at Logan despite having a reservation with Hertz! The car was ready when we arrived from airport! The only downside is they charge $15 for overnight parking! Not even having a Starwood membership helped. Room service was good and housekeeping too. The renovation wasn't completed so restaurant was a room off lobby and the lobby was a bit makeshift. Bar in the evening was a bit strange not very conducive for fun!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
We loved hosting your family and friends for the Labor Day wedding. And it’s great to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for the kind review. To keep you in the know, our renovation is complete and the ‘make shift’ lobby, restaurant and bar have been replaced with an awesome new space. The lobby has been transformed; the restaurant and bar are fully functional and offer some amazing new menu items. If your travels bring you back to Waltham, please stop by and see the improvement.
Albany, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

There are things about this hotel that other guests complained about that I'd like to comment on because in most cases I think they are silly issues to have. I should start by stating two things that don't matter to me in an (American) hotel stay; free breakfast and free wifi. Both of which are inconsequential because they are always terrible and I think its foolish to expect otherwise. In this era of data excess there is no reason to torture myself trying to connect to a slow network just to be kicked off again. And just because something is free doesn't mean its worth having - even the 'nicer' free breakfasts are crap. I wouldn't eat at Denny's/McDonald's etc. so why would I bother wasting time, calories and the gross feeling of eating crappy food? I didn't care for having to pay for parking however, especially since the location is not city-center or taking up precious real estate.

That being said, my DP and I stayed here twice in August 2014 and I waited until the second stay to post my review. It was a very nice Westin with the very nice things you'd expect; beautiful lobby/interior, nice spacious rooms and comfortable beds. They were still doing construction during our first stay, which really was no trouble to us, I don't get why other guests were such babies about it.
Front desk staff were pleasant and courteous during all of our check ins, check outs and concerns. We did not bother with the restaurant since there are 100+ options 10 minutes away and I was not put off by not being able to store my things in the mini-fridge like some guests; there is a sign right on it letting you know that if you need a fridge they will deliver it for you!

I did get a nice deal online and would stay again. I still don't understand the complaints about wifi and no free breakfast. And if you're visiting/staying on business and without a car - here's a novel thought in lieu of eating on site or taking a walk - take a freaking cab! There's a Whole Foods, Trader Joes and a bunch of sit down restaurants 10 minutes away.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us twice in August. We appreciate the business and the opportunity to serve you. You wrote a great review, thanks for championing the hotel and clearing up some misconceptions. You certainly are a fan and we hope we can continue to be your home away from home on every trip to the Boston area. One quick update for you; our lobby renovation is complete! On your next visit you will find an amazing new lobby, restaurant and bar with great views of the Waltham area and a new menu!

Been to The Westin Waltham-Boston? Share your experiences!