“Watch out for extras vol. 2” 3 of 5 stars

Join SPG to save 5% more
Ranked #7 of 10 hotels in Waltham
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
“Watch out for extras vol. 2”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I echo an earlier review warning to watch out for extra charges for various things. The hotel is fine and our rate for a stay at Christmas was very good, but it appears Westin has learned from airlines that it pays to charge for what used to be free or at least it is in many similar hotels. $15 a night for parking, $7.95 a day for wireless in the room and $7.95 for 15 minutes of Internet access Iin the lobby PLUS 79 cents a page for printing!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Brian C, Manager at The Westin Waltham-Boston, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay. While the hotel does charge for parking and internet these charges are included in some of our room rate packages. Additionally, we offer free wireless internet in the hotel lobby and in our restaurant/lounge. We hope that you will find this information helpful and look forward to welcoming you back the next time you find yourself in the Boston area.

396 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

The main lobby area is nice. It also has a small Starbucks. The staff is friendly and helpful. My room had some issues, particularly the bathroom which had a peeling ceiling.

There are too many charges to be a good value; internet, bottle water, etc.

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you for your comments. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and the level of service that our staff provided. We apologize for the condition of your guest room that you noted and are working to resolve the problems. We are currently in the process of refreshing our guest room bathrooms, including new wallpaper, fixtures and the installation of the Westin Heavenly Mirror. We hope that you will consider staying with us in the future.
MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I stayed last night and called SPG to make sure this hotel was pet friendly. Worked out that it was, and there was no 'cleaning fee' as long as your pet did not do any damage to the room...cool. It's funny that SPG states that you must sign a 'pet waiver' when you check in at this property. Personally I would rather the agents do that to benefit other hotel guests from irresponsible pet owners. The front desk agent didn't even acknowledge that I even had a pet, give me any hotel pet rules, or make me sign a 'waiver'. It was pretty funny that other business people in the lobby gave me weird looks because they didn't realize that certain SPG properties allow pets (which I am very grateful for).

When I checked in, I had asked to possibly be upgraded to a suite because I'm SPG Gold, and because when I booked, the email clearly stated that for a cash rate, I could be upgraded based on availability. OK, availability, that's fine, but it was listed as:

Deluxe Room - $15 more per night
Junior Suite - $25 more per night
Prospect Suite - $50 more per night
Director's Suite - $100 more per night
Presidential Suite - $150 more per night.

Agent completely denied me saying they were fully committed on a Monday night, and I didn't feel like arguing because it was 9PM (even though the man in front of me got a Junior suite)(I should mention that his previous room he was given, he walked into a room that was occupied haha) Regardless, I'm very unimpressed with this hotel, it definitely did NOT stand up to the Westin brand. I got my bill in the morning and my internet was charged twice (I told the agent I would like my gold amenity to be free internet upon check-in). Then I was charged $58 additional for an unknown reason. Overall, this stay was definitely my top three WORST SPG hotel stays.

Room Tip: Book a better hotel
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Brian C, Manager at The Westin Waltham-Boston, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay. We are happy to be a “pet friendly” hotel and have many guests that have enjoyed this benefit. We do require that our guests sign a pet waiver during their stay, and are not sure why it was not presented to you during your check in. We will follow up with our front office to review this part of the check in process. While we do our best to provide our SPG members with available upgrades, we are sorry we were unable to fulfill your request because it appears that we were fully committed that evening. The next time you are in the Waltham area, we would welcome the opportunity to provide you with a better Westin Brand experience.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Nice hotel, pool/gym, maid service and staff! Beaware, snacks on censor & drinks in fridge same. My 2 year old knocked over the snacks, was billed, informed the staff and they were quick to correct the error (just check the bill before you go). No breakfast included & very expensive if order from hotel. Dunkin Donuts is walking distance though & numerous restaurants that deliver for lunch & diner. Starbucks coffee, just ask desk for creamer or you get the powerder ucky stuff. Close to Burlington Mall. Kid friendly.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Brian C, Manager at The Westin Waltham-Boston, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
We are glad that you and your family enjoyed your weekend at the hotel, as well as, the service provided by our staff. It is great that you had an opportunity to enjoy the Westin Workout and our indoor swimming pool. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Roanoke, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stayed here as part of a group and, as several folks mentioned, it's your typical convention hotel. Not terrible, but has petty charges that are frustrating like parking and internet. Had continuous problems with the TV remote and the repairman admitted that the wiring wasn't desinged for high def. The staff was friendly, but you definitely need a car to stay here if you want any mobility at all. The rooms were quiet and comfortable.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your comments. We are glad that our staff was able to provide you with an enjoyable stay. Although the hotel does charge for parking and internet, we do have rates available that include these charges. Thank you again for staying at the Westin Waltham Hotel, we look forward to seeing you again.
Glen Rock, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at the Westin Waltham the weekend of November 9th. The last time we stayed here was a year or so ago . On our last stay I had requested a star wood preferred guest room and was told none was available, although it seemed those families in for a kids hockey tournament took all the rooms. At check for this trip I again requested a SPG room and was quickly provided this on a SPG FLOOR. The room was quite spacious and comfortable . I really like a quiet room to sleep and a comfortable bed and this hotel did not disappoint me. Also I really enjoyed the oversize shower head. A shout out to Liz O. at the front desk. My wife commented in passing that it my birthday and we were up visiting our son at nearby Bentley University. WHen we returned from my birthday dinner, we were welcomed by a wonderful surprise arranged by Liz. , a bottle of wine and some deserts samples. This was well appreciated and enjoyed by us and it was certainly a great way to treat a guest . With my son only in his second year we look forward to returning to the Westin again , and will not forget how well we were attended treated on this stay

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing this great experience. We are thrilled that we were able to make your visit an enjoyable one. We are very proud of our staff and their efforts to provide personalized service and will definitely pass on your great compliments to Liz.
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Great staff great hotel, make sure you have a car if you are staying there. There is no reliable transit to and from the hotel that would be cheaper than a car. The hotel was very nice, I did not get to use the gym, pool or other amenities as I was there on business.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your great comments. We are always delighted to hear that our guests have enjoyed their stay. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in the area.

Been to The Westin Waltham-Boston? Share your experiences!