“Very Disappointed” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Embassy Suites Boston / Waltham

You added Embassy Suites Boston / Waltham to your Saves list
Embassy Suites Boston / Waltham
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   550 Winter Street, Waltham, MA 02451 (Formerly Doubletree Guest Suites Boston/Waltham)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book 2X Points
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Waltham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Dover, Delaware
“Very Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

When I booked this hotel I booked at the Doubletree. The Doubletree is my favorite place to stay anytime I have to stay in a hotel and have a choice on the accommodations. Having been a flight attendant I have stayed at MANY hotels in my life. I was disappointed to find out when I checked in that it had switched to the Embassy Suites, however, I did not let the name change sway my opinion of my surroundings. Upon arriving I was pleased with the atmosphere in the lobby. Unfortunately, when we went up to our room we found three maid carts parked all around our door. At first I thought they were cleaning the room but there were no maids in sight. The carts remained there all night.
At around 1:15 am a fire alarm went off. We were forced to wait outside while the fire department came to investigate. No one working at that time had any information to give us. We just stood around waiting to hear something. Eventually we were told we could go back to our rooms but were never told what happened. Rumor was it was a false alarm, which would have been nice to know. The female working the desk stood around looking awkward and didn't seem sure of what to say or do.
Having a long drive ahead of us early the next morning, my husband and I went back to bed only to be woken up a few minutes later by the alarm again, followed by someone on the intercom saying it was all clear and we could go back to our rooms. Perhaps the staff needs more training on the procedures for an emergency situation.
Finally, the next morning as we were packing and getting ready to leave, I turned on the television to watch the news. We were disappointed to learn that the cable was out.
Today when I checked my bank statement I learned that the hotel put a $50 hold on my card for "incidentals"...something that was NOT explained during check-in. When I called to inquire I was told that this information is on my keycard (does anyone actually read that?) and I should have known. The customer service provided by the people answering the phones is very poor. The first rule in customer service I learned is it is never the customer's fault. At the very least they could indicate upon check-in the hold or even tell us to read the keycard for information. No person I know likes to have their money messed with.
Last, I will say that the breakfast was decent. Since it was included in the stay I can't really complain much but I will comment that the breakfast meats were not good.
The few hours we spent in this hotel were not worth the money. I missed the warm chocolate chip cookies Doubletree offered at check-in.
The next time we are in town we will stay with family or somewhere else. Even sleeping in the car would have been more enjoyable...at least I would have gotten a full nights rest--uninterrupted!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
DoubletreeWalthamGM, General Manager at Embassy Suites Boston / Waltham, responded to this review, May 25, 2011
Dear Lovestotravle0880,

On behalf of the entire team at the Embassy Suites Boston/Waltham I would like to extend my sincerest apology for your disappointment during your recent stay. I understand that you initially booked our hotel when it was the Doubletree Guest Suites and that it was your favorite place to stay when in the area. In fact, the entire team has weathered the renovation and conversion to the Embassy Suites brand and is very excited to work in our newly renovated property!

There were obvious opportunities that you had encountered that were very unfortunate and were directly and indirectly related to the renovation project which I am pleased to report is complete! The depth and scope of the renovation was a challenge for us here at the hotel and although we attempted to minimize any disruptions to a pleasant stay, it is obvious that we fell short in your case, and for that you have my sincerest apology

The fire alarm was no doubt an unfortunate occurrence and our brand new, state of the art Emergency Management system functioned accordingly and in review of the situation, the system and staff on duty at 1:15am handled the situation accordingly. However, with your input and our continuous focus on the safety and security of all our gests and associates, we will be even more sensitive to inconvenience of a fire alarm regardless of it being a false alarm or an actual emergency.

Lovestotravle0880, if you could please contact me at rob.weitz@hilton.com so I may have the opportunity to discuss this with you further. I would really love to win back your loyalty!

Best regards,
Rob Weitz
General Manger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2011

We booked the Doubletree this past week-end despite the renovation and comments from some guests on Trip Advisor. We had a great stay. We could see that renovation was ongoing but heard no construction noises and were not disturbed by it. However, we were there over a week-end so that might explain it. Our room was spacious and comfortable. The Breakfast Buffet was delicious. The pool was closed but that was not an issue for us. The front desk employees were very friendly and helpful. The t.v. was small and old but I understand that the tvs will be updated soon. Overall, no complaints!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Martha's Vineyard
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

I wasn't aware of the renovations when I booked the hotel on-line via the Hilton website. The main entrance is blocked, so you have to enter through the side door. No luggage carts available and there was only one person at the desk to help with anything. We checked in and were given a room on the 7th floor. The room was clean, but with outdated furniture and tv. Beds were very comfortable and we slept well...until we were woke up at 8am to hammering in the ajoining room and loud banging on the ceiling above us. It continued all day, along with a paint smell from the atrium, where they were painting the beams. The breakfast was ok, but just too expensive at $15/adult and $10 per child. We didn't eat much and my one child only ate an apple, but was still charged $10. There were a lot of families and kids running around, as there was a bat mitzvah in the lobby on Saturday night. Wifi was an $11 extra charge. All in all, this was not a relaxing stay, and I would not stay here again. In the immediate area, there is also a Hilton Gardern Inn, Courtyard Marriott and Westin hotel. I would stay in one of these instead.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
DoubletreeWalthamGM, Manager at Embassy Suites Boston / Waltham, responded to this review, March 13, 2011
Dear “Knows”
Thank you very much for taking the time to express your experience at our hotel. On behalf of the entire team I would like to apologize to and your family for not meeting your expectations. Although the management team went to great extent to ensure there was “full disclosure” regarding our renovation, obviously in your case we seemed to have fallen short. Additionally, I have made further changes to our construction schedule in the effort that this type of disruption will not affect any of our future guests while we wrap up our renovation and conversion to the Embassy Suites brand. “Knows”, your comments are very important to me and my team. That said, I am proud to convey that at the end of our $14 million renovation in April, 2011 the factors related to construction will be addressed. If there is every the opportunity to serve you again in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me at 781-890-6767 so I may have the opportunity to apologize to you in person in addition to ensuring that your future stays are a most positive experience.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011 via mobile

Whole family got rudely awakened by construction on the floor above us at 7am on a Sunday. Unacceptable in the hospitality industry; they need to get this right (timing of work) or else just shut down the hotel and finish the renovation. Would NOT recommend right now, and if management isn't detail-oriented enough to realize construction at 7 am may not be a loyalty-builder among guests, then you might imagine what else they might overlook.

• Stayed March 2011
DoubletreeWalthamGM, General Manager at Embassy Suites Boston / Waltham, responded to this review, March 13, 2011
Dear “dmwh”
I appreciate you taking the time to express your experience at our hotel. You have my sincerest apology for the construction noise and disruption of your stay. The hotel management does have specific parameters regarding construction times that would no doubt have minimized your inconvenience but apparently we failed to adhere to this rule. I have reviewed your concerns with my team and contractor to ensure that this type of disruption will not affect any of our future guests while we wrap up our renovation and conversion to the Embassy Suites brand. “”dmwh”, your feedback is very important to me and my team and the factors related to construction has been addressed and the entire completion of this renovation will be completed in April, 2011. If there is every the opportunity to serve you again in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me at 781-890-6767 so I may have the opportunity to apologize to you in person in addition to ensuring that your future stays are a most positive experience.
Georgetown, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

When I made my reservation, I was aware that the hotel was under renovation. I never dreamed that they would stick me in a room, directly under construction, with sawing hammering, and drilling going on. I complained, and got another room. I found out later, six other occupants did the same. Fine.The front desk said they would bring the new keys up, so I waited for 35 minutes. Called again, and was told he had no one to deliver the keys. So, I went down to the from desk to retrieve them. I accidentally left a robe in the first room, and asked if it can be delivered to my new one. They did, but 26 hours later. All in all, the second room was nice, although they don't know much about service. Beware until renovations are completed!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Dear “Baer09”
Thank you for taking the time to express your disappointment with the services of the hotel. On behalf of the entire team, I would like to apologize for the construction noise and poor service that you had experienced. I have reviewed your concerns with my team in the effort to minimize and eliminate further disruption in addition to focusing on our the higher level of service that you (and I) would have expected from our hotel. ”Baer09”, your feedback is very important to me and my team and the factors related to construction has been addressed and the entire completion of this renovation and conversion to the Embassy Suites brand will be completed in April, 2011. If there is every the opportunity to serve you again in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me at 781-890-6767 so I may have the opportunity to apologize to you in person in addition to ensuring that your future stays are a most positive experience.
Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

We had three grandsons for the weekend and decided at the last minute to book a room at the Doubletree in nearby Waltham, MA for an overnight. We arrived at 4:00 p.m. and enjoyed every minute until we left at noontime the next day. The hotel is currently undergoing a huge renovation, but except for a temporary front entrance, it did not interfere in the least. Our primary focus was spending hours swimming in the very large and clean heated pool. There is also a good sized hot tub. There were enough children there for it to be a fun place, but not too overcrowded. There seemed to be a lot of families and groups with children there.

The restaurant had a good breakfast with many choices and was well run, clean and the help was what they should be....very helpful! (and cheerful). The front desk was especially accommodating when I had a slight misunderstanding of our package plan. The manager handled the problem very well and to the satisfaction of all. I understand that the wifi is not free; but that was not an issue for us.
Several good family restaurants very close by. Many deliver. Nice looking bar in the restaurant.

All in all, this was a very successful "weekend with the grandparents". We all had a great time and the price was extremely reasonable for what we experienced. Rooms were large (suites), clean and bright. Beds were very comfy. Had a table and chairs for eating our pizza dinner and a coffee maker. Would return in a minute!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Wilmington, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2010

This was my first stay here and I was presently surprised! From the minute I entered the lobby I was impressed with the service. The bellman greeted us at the door and welcomed us. The front desk staff couldn't have been more pleasant. We had made a mistake with the type of room we booked (smoking) and the front office manager swept in to save us! The gentleman who checked us in gave us warm cookies and sent us on our way to our suite. The room was nice and clean and provided all of the usual amenities. We were celebrating our anniversary and the staff sent us a bottle of wine which was a wonderful thought! We ate in the restaurant and the hostess was so friendly! The food was great and the portions were big. I can't say enough about the hotel and staff. The experience made me want to come back!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Embassy Suites Boston / Waltham? Share your experiences!